Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Conehead, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 10:41 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Discussion
Photos and thoughts of Toledo 2009

I have been to Toledo for the last few years. Each year I have marveled at the models on display on the tables for judging. I shot pictures one year, they were terrible, so for a couple of years I didn't take any. This year I took some pictures, mostly of the models that were what I call "old timers" that I really enjoyed.
Most of them are below. I hope all of you enjoy them. These are just one person's view of what was displayed.

I wandered around looking at displays and I got a few things. Wheels for an airplane, some shrink tubing, checked models that were on sale, but I want to wait to see what else is coming out. I got glue, a motor, looked at many planes, had a great time at Skip Miller Models, wow what technology there is in sailplanes. They are way too fast for me. I would lose one in a hurry.

Best part about Toledo is seeing the factory reps and asking questions about why, what is the next model coming out, or finding out about new stuff that is in the works. Mostly that is hush hush, since no one wants to leak information to the competition. At Horizon I got a chance to talk to John Redman, mostly about the Pulse XT 25e and asked about what was in the pipeline for the future. He said, a warbird, then was really specific. Said it would have a wing, fuse, stab, rudder, maybe flaps, and most likely will be about the 25 e size. So who knows what it will be. John also talked about what he is working on, well sort of. He said he is working on 14 models at the present time and he said he is working now on what will be coming out next November 2010. He said he has to guess what we will want to buy then. So we think we have a tough job, John's is much tougher than I ever thought. He said he spent some time on the Pulse XT 25e thread and then he was off onto other projects. He said he stuck with the first pages of the thread to see what problems they might be and solve them early on in the production, but after a while, he just doesn't have a lot of time to read pages and pages of the thread. I can understand that. I did credit him with spending time on RC Groups looking at the threads of the planes he worked on and trying to solve the production problems early on. I don't know many factory people who do that. Dave E also does that.

I got a chance to talk to one fellow at Great Planes about charging plugs for their batteries and why they sold 3 of each different number of cells together. I got my question answered and the explanation is very complicated, so I won't go into it. For me, I just thought that they made a big error in their packaging. I would have rather one set of each in one pack.

I went to ETOC. I have been almost every year and the flying has changed so much in the 6 years it is hard to believe what has happened. This year was just as good as last year. Different pilots, well some of them, lots of great flying. Some say the announcers got boring, but that is the way it goes. After the flying on Friday night, while waiting for the scores, Jason Noll's kids were running around on the gym floor. What a sight. They were having a ball and it was late and they were wound up.
I have enjoyed ETOC every year I have been there. The pilots skills, their ability to fly to music, put on demos between rounds is really something to see. I am sure most of you have seen this in other venues, but I don't get to many of those other than E-Fest and the JR Indoor Festival.
Many thanks to Tom at TNT Landing Gear for all the work that goes into the ETOC. He has many volunteers who do lots of work, who don't get recognized for their effort, which is a real shame. So to all those who work so hard to make ETOC happen, MANY THANKS from one person who appreciates your work. Thank you to all the pilots who flew so well. I was thrilled to watch what can be done.

What I liked most was the flying at ETOC and seeing some of the newer models that I want to get in the future. Pulse XT 25e. There are other models that I like, but I have to make choices so I look to see what the future will hold.

Parking is ok, but what bugged me was the same garage charged $3 on Friday, $5 on Saturday. That stinks. Some parking around the Seagate was as high as $10, other places were $5.

I didn't buy any food there. So no comments on it. I left early, went to the motel and took a short nap, then I headed to ETOC. I did the same both days.

Somehow I missed the grand poobah Ray Foley and his robe. Don't know how that happened, but it did.

Will I go again, sure, have to see planes in person. I enjoy the ETOC, I like the time in the Spring away from northern Michigan. When I left the lake was somewhat frozen, when I got back, no ice. Weather was somewhat ok in Toledo, windy and cold, but the return trip, while it was snowing and slushy, it warmed up a lot and when I got home, well it was darn right cold.

I did make a quick trip to Muncie Indiana, to see Jack Frost. Jack builds Flutter-Bys and I have 4 of his planes. They are electric fliers, either indoors or outdoors and I have two large ones, and two small one's. One of the small one's, it is a bi-plane, had a broken elevator and I was not sure how to fix the carbon fiber, since this plane is carbon fiber and rip-stop nylon. So I called Jack, he said come on down. It took Jack about 40 minutes to fix it, we test flew it and it was good to go. Jack is going to build a canard Flutter-By which he designed. Hopefully it will be ready for E-Fest 2010.

That is about it. The Weak Signals Club does a lot of work to put on this show. Thank you.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Apr 09, 2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: add photos, more to come
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:54 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Wow, a lot of really great looking models there! I especially like the really old-school looking one in #1463 (fifth from last), is that a model of a real plane or a fantasy scale? I've never seen anything like it before. I'm curious about the "Detroit Redwings" Ugly stik with the v-tail, did it actually have an anhedral wing or are my eye's playing tricks on me?

Very impressive, thanks for sharing!

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:13 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
irish_lord99,
The old school plane, or whatever you call it won best of show, I think, I am not sure.
On other photos it is called Jaloplane, or something like that. It is all done in monocoat. The UPS brown is no longer made. It was stunning. Again, I should have shot more.

Yes the Ugly stick did have an anhedral wing.

Some planes I should have shot more pictures of. Had I gotten there early on Friday, the crowd would have been small and I could have done better. Saturday is like trying to take a picture at a socer game. Everyone running around, bumping into you and everyone else.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014