HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by budkeywest, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 08:42 PM
0Gravity
Orlando, Florida
Joined Feb 2008
697 Posts
Discussion
Homemade Windsock

I got this idea from the July 2008 issue of Fly RC Magazine. I tried to email them this story with photos, but every e-mail address I tryed kept getting returned...

So....After months of thinking and planning this project, I asked Owen, a flying buddy at our field, if he could find an old front bicycle tire with a rim and axle. I explained to him my idea and not only did he procure a rim and axle, but he gave me a telescoping pole he no longer had any use for. I had some ripstop cloth material leftover from my homemade parachute (perhaps a story for my next e-mail). My internet research for a windsock pattern left me high and dry, so I took the Sunday paper, fashioned a cone, taped it together, cut the ends to form my windsock and cut it down the middle to form a pattern to cut the material. Funny enough, I had purchased a sewing machine for my wife about 15 years ago...and I have used it more than she has. I sewed together my windsock and made a tunnel on the big end to place a circular wire. I found an old clothes hanger and slid the material through the "tunnel" and attached the ends of the wire with 4 zip ties. I then carefully shaped the wire to form a circle, not a perfect circle, but a circle none the less. I then took the tire and removed the tire and the innertube. I them used my dremel and cut the spokes as close to the rim as possible. I remove all the spokes and chose 4 that were the same length. Accorrding to the instructions from the original article, I placed the spokes 4 hole apart on top and bottom and made a loop in the ends with my vise and hammer. I then ziptied the four spokes to the windsock making sure they were somewhat proportional. I had to use my utility knife to make a slit in the material in order to pass the ziptie through. I found a pvc coupling roughly the same diameter of my newly aquired pole and a pvc cap to fit on the top coupling. I drilled a hole in the cap for the axle to slide into... next time I will get it centered. I place a lockwasher over the bolt and then use the axle nut to tighten the axle to the cap. I used pvc glue to attach the coupling to the cap. I then placed the coupling on the pole and drilled a hole through both the coupler and the pole and placed a screw with a wingnut though both. This last action will make the windsock removable for transport and storage. Today was a windy day so I decided to test my new windsock out with the help of my sons A.J. and Conor. It worked better than I had thought! I finally put it to use...it worked like a charm!
budkeywest is offline Find More Posts by budkeywest
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2009, 06:57 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
786 Posts
Hey! That is a great wind sock. I think I will make one too. I have a couple of tell-tales that are attached to sailboats that I have attached to long poles, but they only tell direction, not velocity. Very Cool!
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:55 PM
0Gravity
Orlando, Florida
Joined Feb 2008
697 Posts
Thanks!

It was alot of fun making it and it really is useful at our field!

Bud
budkeywest is offline Find More Posts by budkeywest