HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2009, 06:12 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Discussion
Brian Taylor 60 size Hawker Hurricane build thread

Hi

I have started to build a 60 size Hurricane and thought it might be worthwhile doing this thread, my goal is to convert this glow plan to electric, I have built a glow version which I never completed due to switching over (to the light side of the force).

It was sold to a friend who never completed it, hopefully now that I am building another one he will finish the old girl off, Of Course has this is a electric Hurricane I do not need to build it to compensate for the glow motor.

In that way I will be adjusting wood sizes and type of construction to make it lighter, I will attempt to build strength into my structure instead of using thick wood or ply.

I hope you find this interesting.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Gary
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2009, 06:27 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi

I have started the conversion of the Brian Taylor 60 size Hurricane to brushless. From the glow one I did before I made some templates of parts of the fuz so that where I am going to start, so, I started to construct the side plates to make the load bearing structure for the fuz.

The original side plates are made from 1/4 balsa and weigh 101 grams, So I wanted to improve on that and made 2 news ones from 1/8 balsa with 1/8 crossmembers/doublers which weigh 62 grams.

Saves 39 grams already.

Gary
Old Apr 08, 2009, 06:39 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,649 Posts
Keep it coming Gary, this looks like it will be an interesting build. We really do seem to be enjoying a good Hurricane season this year, they are all over the place ...and that's a great weight saving thus far. I know its a little early to ask but what electric set-up were you thinking of going with? Something like a 6s 5000, 110amp esc etc? Well look forward to seeing more.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 07:02 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
I have this plan and cowling/canopy set as well. Although it's good to save weight for electric, I thought when I did mine I would stick with the 1/4 wood up front, and really concentrate on aft of the cg to save weight. Just my opion but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the strength up front, and to avoid having to add useless nose weight. Keep going though, some day I will do mine too. Right now will be working on a Tony Nijhuis Hurricane after I get a good start on the CD ScaleDesigns Fokker DVIII kit.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Apr 09, 2009, 12:46 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
I have this plan and cowling/canopy set as well. Although it's good to save weight for electric, I thought when I did mine I would stick with the 1/4 wood up front, and really concentrate on aft of the cg to save weight. Just my opion but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the strength up front, and to avoid having to add useless nose weight. Keep going though, some day I will do mine too. Right now will be working on a Tony Nijhuis Hurricane after I get a good start on the CD ScaleDesigns Fokker DVIII kit.
I can blow you away with a way to save weight at the back, just wait and see. Thats why I am saving weight in the front as well.

lol Gary
Old Apr 09, 2009, 05:49 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi

Starting cut the fuselage formers now.
Old Apr 09, 2009, 06:26 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi Stuart

I am thinking 5-6s 4900-5000mah, was thinking of this esc, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...12S_BESC_(Ver4)
or

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._Brushless_ESC

I have 2 motors to choose from,
e-pro OR4560-12
Lipo: 5-7 LiPoly Cells
KV: 473rpm/V
Internal Resistance: 18.5 m ohm
Max eff: 81-84%
Weight:362 grams
Rec model weight: 2.5-4 kgs
Rec Prop: 13x8 -14x10
Esc: 90 hv

or a front mount axi 4120-18

SPECS: No. of Cells: 16 - 20 max NiMH/NiCd, 5-7 LiPo
RPM/V: 515
Max Efficiency: 86%
Max Efficiency Current: 15 - 40A (>82%)
No Load Current/10V: 1.5a
Current Capacity: 55A/60s
Internal Resistance: 70 mohm
Can Diameter: 2" (49.8mm)
Length: 2.2" (55.5mm)
Shaft Diameter: 0.24" (6mm)
Weight with Wires: 11.3oz (320g)
Recommended Model Weight: 4.4lb (2000g) - 8.1lb (4000g)

Gary
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:20 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,010 Posts
Do a search for Dave Grife's 70" Taylor Hurricane from years ago, (maybe on the "AMPEER" site). I think it started life with an Astro 40 with a superbox and 22 X 2400 cells. He built it according to the plan without much lightening and even with nicads the weight was reasonable. Seems to me that it has a brushless 40 geared and a 6S pack now. Perhaps he'll chime in as I know he drops by the forums from time to time.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:35 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
I will be watching with interest , I have always been a Hurricane fan .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Apr 09, 2009, 09:29 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
deleted brain fade.....
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; Apr 11, 2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: deleted
Old Apr 09, 2009, 11:03 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,793 Posts
Im gonna keep watch of this. I like the brian taylor series and just might make the spitfire
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Apr 09, 2009, 04:51 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
808 Posts
Hi Gary,

I did this same project in 1992, as an electric from the start, with retracts. no flaps. ...... but I wish that I tried them. But it was more difficult back then with weight and power.

The plane will handle great if you keep around it 10 lbs. or less.

Mine started @ 10.5 pounds w/ 3lbs of battery back then and a 2lb. motor @ 800 watts.

Now, with the technology improvements it weighs @ 8lbs @ 1000 watts +.

Depending on what your finishing technique will weigh, you may be able to follow the plan to a large degree and skip really heavy vibration reinforcement.

I wish that I had a constuction link or something but we didn't link much back then.

-DG

P.S. Hi Martin, hope to see ya this summer !
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Last edited by Dave Grife; Apr 09, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2009, 06:41 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
I have the plans for this model and it is on my long term build list. It should make a fine electric and I'll look forward to following this build.

A good thread by our British friends at http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,28913.0.html

IMO the 4120 AXI series is a bit underpowered for this model. Also I think battery access and perhaps CG will be a bit challenging due to the relatively short nose.

Have you decided on your approach re: the landing gear? Will you be building it with flaps per the plan?

Good luck and have fun with this build!
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale