HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:27 PM
Ironton, Wi.
Joined Jun 2004
133 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex TwinStar II 4/2009

Just picked one of these up. Has anybody had any luck getting brushless motors installed and how did you do it? Pictures are welcome!!!

For those of you that are going to point out the other thread on the TwinStar II----don't bother. I know of it's existance.

Also pictures of the finished plane and any other mods welcome as well.
racohoon is offline Find More Posts by racohoon
Last edited by racohoon; Apr 09, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2009, 02:00 PM
Panama City, Fl
Joined Jan 2009
458 Posts
Not yet...

Nice to meetcha racohoon.

I have yet to do the conversion, or even recieve it (hopefully this week). I have ordered everything for the conversion.
My setup:

2X A2217 KV = 1100
4X 7X6 APC
4X 8X4 APC
2X ZIPPY-H 3300mAh 3S1P 20-30C
2X TURNIGY Plush 40amp ESC

Maybe some items aren't optimum, so YMMV.
My TS II is going to double as AP/FPV and sport flying. I've got some good resources from the "other" thread. Just have to weave through some of it

I'll post pics of the install, which I assume will be pretty straight forward, without too much cutting/shaping.

Joe
motojoe996 is offline Find More Posts by motojoe996
Old Apr 09, 2009, 02:32 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Racohoon,

There is a huge Twinstar II thread found here . I have a twinstar II converted to a brushless and absolutely love it. All of the recommendations for the setup came from the forum link I just gave you. Here is my twinstar II in action:

Twinstar Brushless Dream (1 min 16 sec)

I used Team Orion Avionics Wind MS Brushless 400 Motors,
Turnigy plush 25 amp brushless speed controllers and APC 9x6E props. Vertical climbs are a breeze with this very efficient and extremely quiet setup. With a 1800MAh 3SP Lipo battery, flight times are averaging about 20 minutes.

Good Luck & Enjoy!

Mike

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380793
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
Old Apr 09, 2009, 03:29 PM
Panama City, Fl
Joined Jan 2009
458 Posts
Good demo, Mike.

Joe
Old Apr 10, 2009, 03:25 AM
Ironton, Wi.
Joined Jun 2004
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6world

Yes--that's the one I was actually referring to. No time for it or the hatred. I am hoping everyone here behaves themselves (minor rib poking always good--when done jokingly) and that we stay more to the point and on topic.

Very nice video and plane/setup. Thank you very much for the contribution.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 03:31 AM
Ironton, Wi.
Joined Jun 2004
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojoe996
Nice to meetcha racohoon.

I have yet to do the conversion, or even recieve it (hopefully this week). I have ordered everything for the conversion.
My setup:

2X A2217 KV = 1100
4X 7X6 APC
4X 8X4 APC
2X ZIPPY-H 3300mAh 3S1P 20-30C
2X TURNIGY Plush 40amp ESC

Maybe some items aren't optimum, so YMMV.
My TS II is going to double as AP/FPV and sport flying. I've got some good resources from the "other" thread. Just have to weave through some of it

I'll post pics of the install, which I assume will be pretty straight forward, without too much cutting/shaping.

Joe
Joe:
What's with the 4 props of each size--just so you have extra in event of crash/nose over?
I have mine sanded down and am deciding on a paint theme for it. I found a pic of this one and like it a lot-
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:34 AM
Panama City, Fl
Joined Jan 2009
458 Posts
Back-ups

Yeah, definately for back ups. I haven't tested anything yet, but if a set works and SOMEHOW I fubar one, I can quickly swap it.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:37 AM
Panama City, Fl
Joined Jan 2009
458 Posts
2 days ago, while flying my Cub around 1000 feet, circling the bald eagles, I noticed he was much easier to spot than my white Cub. I have 2 or 3 black strips under each wing, but wow. Granted, his wing span probably was larger than mine. Who wants to have a black airplane?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:49 PM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
First of all many thanks to Racohoon for the invitation to post my progress in here....

After the theft of my first TwinstarII from the back of my car a couple of months ago, that I'd spent a lot of time building and a good few hours flying. Luckily they beggars didn't get my radio or motors and ESC's as they'd just been taken out to test fit something for a friend. I was quite depressed at the state of the world at this point. Fortunately my other half took pity on me and she bought me another one without telling me... Love is clearly plane shaped!

So attached are the pictures of the paint job so far..... Tail and wings completed and yes it is just paint. As several people have PM'd me asking how to achieve this finish on Elapor, after I posted one pic in the Easystar thread, I thought I'd better post a description of the process in the hope that it helps anybody else doing it.

First of all I sanded off all the horrible multiplex bobbles using a 240 Grit wet and dry paper, used wet. This leaves the surface with a velvet kind of feel to it and helps the paint to key properly.

Then it got a coat of light weight filler (sold as Polycell Onefill in the UK and as Lightweight Spackle in the US) mixed with PVA glue (waterproof white woodworking glue) and that was thinned with water 50/50. It fills up all the dints and holes in the foam.

That was sanded back to the foam surface with a 400 Grit wet and dry used wet again and the first coat of paint applied. Using Artists Acrylic Titanium White, mixed again with PVA glue, at about 50/50 and then thinned 50% with water, until it forms a light paint. Applied using a smooth surface glossing roller. The kind they sell for painting gloss domestic paint.

First coat was sanded lightly with 400 grit used wet again, and allowed two days to dry. The second coat then went on with the same mix... that was then sanded with 600 grit again used wet. after that the top coat of white goes on and is lightly sanded with between 1000 and 1200 Grit.

Then it was masked up, for the blue... and that was again applied with the glossing roller using the same paint mix as before.

Following that the transfers were designed and printed on the computer using Lazertran paper and the leading edge protection (vinyl tapes) were applied.

The top coat, is two coats of Water Based Polyurethane Varnish (sold in the UK as Diamond Hard Floor Varnish)... That was thinned again 50/50 with water and applied with the roller. Between coats the first layer of varnish was flatted off using a kitchen cream cleaner works great for removing small imperfections.

Allowing a couple of days to dry when possible between coats, and I didn't have the masking lift any of the paint underneath. which I know is something that a lot of people have trouble with. The paint combination helps a lot with this, as does the initial sanding to give it something to key to.

Result... Nice smooth, drag reduced glossy surface. I'm quite pleased with it and no longer feel like I'm flying a foam ceiling tile. Some of the pictures make the blue look a little patchy, but it's not and what you can actually see is the reflection of the clouds overhead when the picture was taken.

Anybody has any questions about it, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
FozzyTheBear is offline Find More Posts by FozzyTheBear
Old Apr 19, 2009, 05:40 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
733 Posts
Julian, I see some painting skills here. Hope it'll look the same after the maiden flight
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:10 PM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber
Julian, I see some painting skills here. Hope it'll look the same after the maiden flight
Thanks Bobber,
I used to be terrible at painting... It not really about skill, it's more about learning paitience, especially with the drying time. It'll probably look well battered after a few months of flying. Especially with my rough landings.

I'm working on designing the undercarriage at the moment. I was thinking maybe something like a semi scale sprung oleo leg at the front with two wheels and some alloy main gear. Got to keep the weight down though.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:11 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,255 Posts
Fozzy, that is one really nice looking plane. I did mine with vinyl and Krylon on the tail. I hand painted the nose and doors with Testor's model paint. I can see this plane when high and pretty far out. I wish I had as much patience as you, to do a really great paint job.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:25 AM
JuZ
Salad Dodger
West Sussex, UK
Joined Sep 2008
242 Posts
Hopefully mine will get off the ground soon after it's initial setbacks, here's how it's looking...

2x BRC A2217-8T 200W 1100Kv Outrunners
2x Wasp 33A ESC's
2x APC 8x4
2x APC 9x4.5

Or at least that's how it looked before one of the motors escaped

I'm in the process of fixing it so it won't be long before it's sorted and looking nice again
JuZ is offline Find More Posts by JuZ
Last edited by JuZ; Apr 20, 2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:37 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman
Fozzy, that is one really nice looking plane. I did mine with vinyl and Krylon on the tail. I hand painted the nose and doors with Testor's model paint. I can see this plane when high and pretty far out. I wish I had as much patience as you, to do a really great paint job.
Terry
Cheers and Beers Terry!

I like your colour scheme... It's great for high vis at altitude or distance. I have to admit that I lost my orientation twice on the previous plane and only just managed to figure out which way I was pointing. Fortunately it happened at altitude, so it gave me time to recover. No danger of that with yours.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:39 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuZ
Hopefully mine will get off the ground soon after it's initial setbacks, here's how it's looking...
Nice work Juz... I like the US Navy training squadron schemes.... They're quite high vis too.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)