HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2009, 03:31 PM
German Engineering.......
Auxsburg
Joined Dec 2007
453 Posts
Discussion
Trex450: Inverse Tail Rotor Direction????

hi,

i own a trex450, that i still learn to fly these days.

i noticed that the tail-rotor-bushing is way off-center when hovering.
(the heli is assembled according to the manual: top of the tail rotor rotates away from the main rotor).

when the bushing is centered, the blades have a AOA of about 10deg. but it's in the wrong direction for hovering. this means the the servo has to move the bushing to the left, for stable hovering (gyro in normal mode)

i gave it a try and invertet the twist of the belt and the tail blades.

now the pitch bushing is about cented when hovering. i didn't do much flight tests today, just small hovering tests in the kitchen!

here is my question:
why is the trex design asymetrical???? shouldn't be there the same travel left and right for the tail-rotor-bushing??? or do i just had bad luck with single part tolerances???

With the stock setup, the heli hovered nice, but i had to reduce the travel completely to 60% with the limiter at the gy401. this means only 60% of servo travel --> nooo good for precision, right????

thx
HugePanic is offline Find More Posts by HugePanic
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:05 AM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
565 Posts
Why is the trex design asymmetric? Because more right rudder is required than left. Right rudder has to overcome main rotor torque, left rudder is assisted by main rotor torque!
I think you have the tail rotor blade grips backwards. The blade grip horn should be on the leading edge side of the blade. I have seen this before.
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:50 AM
German Engineering.......
Auxsburg
Joined Dec 2007
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 172AMD
Why is the trex design asymmetric?
thanks...

Stock assembly:
when hovering, the tail rotor bushing is NOT centered (not even close)
this means different travel left and right from hovering point!!
(limiter needs to be closed to 60% travel at the gyro)

my assembly:
when hovering the tail rotor bushing is pretty mutch centered. this means equal travel left and right from the hovering point!!
(limiter at 100%)

i just did a small hover test. the tail rotor bushing is centered, and the heli hovers stable, the tail works about perfekt.....

but why is my trex different from million others???
HugePanic is offline Find More Posts by HugePanic
Old Apr 08, 2009, 07:23 PM
4.5 Kilowatts of Awesome
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2007
740 Posts
If your limit is too low, move the ball link out one hole on the servo horn. If it's not broke, don't fix it. The gyro controls your piro rate and keeps them consistent, it's not so much an issue of mechanical ability.
gravydrive is offline Find More Posts by gravydrive