HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:12 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Discussion
E-Flight Park 250 Motor - BAD BAD Support

I just purchased a Park 250 for my Nieuport 17 250 (the new E-Flight biplane, slow flyer). Following the instructions with the motor, I removed the "C" clip and removed the screws in the front of the motor.

Upon trying to press the shaft through, no luck. I soaked the Shaft and outrunner houseing (not the motor itself) in alchol for about 2 hours, about 1 hour in Toulene (heavy solvent used in airline industry), and also KROIL pentrating oil. I tried to press the shaft through between each soaking with no avail. Tried to press it through with a Hyd Press (the hammer did not work), and the shaft broke and froze the motor.

My only mistake here, is that I threw the motor away after being P OFF majorly. I talked with E-Flight today (Horizon Hobby), and they want the motor back and a receipt. I guess they are calling me either a Liar or a Thief , but I have given them a ton of money in the recent past, and I do not do these kind of things.

In the past, when I have had problems with something, they simply send out a replacement... Anyone else have any problems with these motors in trying to move the shaft. This is the first one that I could not move.

I am going to call them back in the morning and give them one more chance. I have spent alot of money in Airplanes, Radios, Motors, and other gear with E-Flight, and I expect them to support me and not call me a Liar (in not so few of words).

Sparkie
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:33 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
You may not be a liar, but lots of people are...Moral of the story...If anything like this happens again, don't loose your temper and keep your receipt.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Apr 07, 2009, 02:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie624

... I guess they are calling me either a Liar or a Thief , but I have given them a ton of money in the recent past, and I do not do these kind of things.
Hi Sparkie,

Actually, they're not calling you a liar or a thief. It's just standard business practice in every country of the world to require proof of purchase and the damaged goods in return for a replacement.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:10 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
If you had not attempted to modify the motor by reversing the shaft, would it have worked as advertised? Yes!

Basically you broke it, so even if you had the receipt and the wrecked motor... why is the company which sold it to you, responsible in any way? I mean, if you keep crashing on concrete and wrecking motor after motor... should you get free replacements for life?
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:25 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,507 Posts
Let me see if I have this right...

You beat the out of a brand new motor that you were having problems with instead of calling Horizon for help or asking here and now you're angry because Horizon asked for a receipt and the motor back so that they could help you determine what the problem is? Tell me truthfully...does that make sense to you??

That's not bad support. I could tell you what I think it is but that would probably make you even more unhappy.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:48 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,653 Posts
I too have destroyed or damage motors and other equipement in my quest to fix or improve on them but never once tried to return something I damage or broke & when I did get something defective I never once got upset when they ask for receipt, ITS only common practice that they do.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:57 PM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
Flew a park 400 outrunner around 11 months alot of flights on it, a bearing starting making a little noise, set it back with the receipt and got a nib.
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:35 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,669 Posts
while I havent purchased lately from e-flight due to their radical price increases I can say that they are an excellent company to deal with.
I damaged the wires coming out of an e-flight 250 when the firewall separated from my plane in flight. I sent it back asking to be repaired and to let me know the cost. Two weeks later a new motor showed up and the invoice showed "Replaced under warranty" .
Now granted it basically my fault for not securing the firewall properly but Horizon went out of their way to keep me as a customer.

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Apr 07, 2009, 03:08 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Let me see if I have this right...

You beat the out of a brand new motor that you were having problems with instead of calling Horizon for help or asking here and now you're angry because Horizon asked for a receipt and the motor back so that they could help you determine what the problem is? Tell me truthfully...does that make sense to you??

That's not bad support. I could tell you what I think it is but that would probably make you even more unhappy.

mw
Yes. That is correct and yes it does make sense. There was no reason to call Horizon as there were exact instructions.

Sparkie
Old Apr 07, 2009, 03:09 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper998
while I havent purchased lately from e-flight due to their radical price increases I can say that they are an excellent company to deal with.
I damaged the wires coming out of an e-flight 250 when the firewall separated from my plane in flight. I sent it back asking to be repaired and to let me know the cost. Two weeks later a new motor showed up and the invoice showed "Replaced under warranty" .
Now granted it basically my fault for not securing the firewall properly but Horizon went out of their way to keep me as a customer.

cooper998
They have not gone out of there way to support me.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
Here is the section from the instructions, I've bolded the relevant part.

Quote:
Reversing Shaft Installation
This outrunner motor has a shaft, which currently exits through the fixed part of the motor. If you want to reverse the shaft to exit through the front rotating part of the motor, follow these instructions carefully for changing the shaft installation. NOTE: The user assumes all liability for damage that may occur.1. Loosen the two screws on the front of the motor.
2. Remove the small black e-clip that rests against the bearing.
3. Slide the shaft through the motor. It may be necessary to use a small hammer to lightly tap the shaft. It is very important that you do not bend the shaft in this process so use extreme caution to assure this does not happen.
4. Re-install the e-clip on the end of the shaft against the bearing by sliding it into the groove in the shaft.
5. Retighten the two screws on the front of the motor.
They have clearly stated that although possible to do, your on your own if you break it.

Heather
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old Apr 07, 2009, 04:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie624

There was no reason to call Horizon as there were exact instructions.

Sparkie
Hi sparkie,

You stated earlier...

"Tried to press it through with a Hyd Press (the hammer did not work), and the shaft broke and froze the motor."

The 'exact instructions' did not call for using an hydraulic arbor press like you used...

Chuck
Old Apr 07, 2009, 05:25 PM
The Eh Team
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2000
954 Posts
Seems to me that if the shaft would not budge with a hyd. press, there was something wrong with the motor. Yes, he broke it in the process, but there was most likely something wrong in the first place that led up to his breaking it. And yes, when a vendor insists that you return it with a receipt they basically are calling you on being a liar. It may be standard practice and they are completely within their rights to ask for it, but if you're a company and you look up your history with a guy and see he's spent $10k, $20k, $50k or whatever it is on your products over the years, then maybe you might decide you're gonna take him at his word on an item that will cost you $10 + shipping (guess) to replace. My guess is that Horizon has no idea when they are talking to someone just how much that person spends with them. Maybe Horizon could set up some product registration stuff on a web site so they can tell who their golden egg laying geese are, and treat them extra nice when stuff like this crops up, thus encouraging people to register and often accept direct marketing, and keeping them from losing good customers.
eajohnson is offline Find More Posts by eajohnson
Old Apr 07, 2009, 05:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajohnson
Seems to me that if the shaft would not budge with a hyd. press, there was something wrong with the motor. Yes, he broke it in the process, but there was most likely something wrong in the first place that led up to his breaking it.
Seems to me that if the shaft would not budge by tapping on it with a hammer (like the instructions call for), that then would have been the time to call Horizon Hobby; regardless of whether it's one's 1000th purchase from Horizon, or one's very first.

Spending lots of money does not translate to being able to bypass instructions at will ...

Chuck
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:27 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi sparkie,

You stated earlier...

"Tried to press it through with a Hyd Press (the hammer did not work), and the shaft broke and froze the motor."

The 'exact instructions' did not call for using an hydraulic arbor press like you used...

Chuck
Hammer did not work... Talked to E-Flight again today with a manager. They offered me a discounted motor... I told them if spending several grand over the past few months is not enough, I will go else where with my business. E-Flight motors are WAY to expensive and not that much better than other places. This thing was in there, and it would NOT move... Even by their instructions. If it is a nickle item, they will work with you.. But my business is not worth a $20 motor. I have messed things up myself, and I do not expect or try warranty.. But here, everything was clearly by the instructions, and it did not work. True, I should have called them... I would have if they have been 24 X 7 Support... I am a 3rd shift person, and it is a true effort to make there times. Again I say. The support is crap, and I will not deal with them ever again. If spending 3 grand in 8 months is not worth supporting an item that cost them 20 bucks... That may be the most expensive 20 bucks they ever saved.

Sparkie