Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:32 AM
Flint, Michigan
Joined Aug 2008
727 Posts
Help!
Dx7, AR500 can I use Flaperons?

Using my Dx7 on a model with ailerons (Pulse 25e), an AR500 Rx, can I use flaperons? I tried this and when I hit the flap mix switch, the ailerons move and stay in opposite directions?
Can the AR500 utilize this feature? I am assuming the ailerons are supposed to drop a bit and act like flaps to slow down my landing speed? Kind of like the full scale Cessnas I fly.
I assume I will still have aileron control while flying? I have never flown using flaperons. Just upgraded from a Dx5 to the Dx7.
Details please...
aviator24 is offline Find More Posts by aviator24
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:46 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,263 Posts
Flaperons need two aileron servos plugged into channels 1 and 6. The AR500, being a 5 channel Rx, doesn't have a Ch6.

I believe it's just about possible to do it with some relatively clever mixing but it's a lot easier to get a 6 or more channel Rx i.e. any of the other Spektrum Rxs.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:46 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
Try plugging the left aileron servo into the gear channel (Channel 5) and then mixing AUX1 to GEAR in FLAPERON mode. You'll also need to do a -100%, -100% GEAR->GEAR mix to disable the gear switch.

Recently another guy tried something similar with a DX6i and said that he couldn't get it to work, but I think it will work fine with a DX7.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Apr 06, 2009, 04:00 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,031 Posts
I just did a bit of tinkering and looks from the monitor screen as though that will do what's needed.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 06, 2009, 04:07 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,291 Posts
Mike, I have a DX6i and read the manual and I also downloaded the manual for the DX7, when I am finish reading the DX7 manual I will answer. You must be a faster reader then me to give such an good answer.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 07, 2009, 06:06 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,291 Posts
Using ailerons (flaperons) with AR500 can be done 3 ways,
#1 ailerons using 1 servo - can't do flaperons
#2 ailerons using 2 servos - 1 servo in aileron port & other in second aileron port - second aileron port is used to eliminate the need for Y harness - can't do flaperons
#3 ailerons using 2 servos - 1 servo in aileron port & the other in gear port - flaperons can be done with extensive programming/mixing - cant be done on DX6i because of the limited 2 mix - DX7 has 6 mix

The main reason it can't be done using DX6i is because using dual ailerons with one of the servo plug in the gear ch. you need to use 1 mix option to mix gear to react oppisite of aileron ch.

You would then need atleast 2 more mixing options for flap, 1 for mixing flap with the aileron ch & a second for mixing flap to the gear ch (using AR500)

On the DX6i you would also have to disable the flap switch so as to not affect the servo in flight and extensive trim & sub trim would be need to move servo to center, gear ch is normal one way or the other & not centered.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:30 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
I wish I had a DX6i to try it myself but I don't. If I did, here's what I would try:
  1. Under WINGTAILMIX, enable DUALAILE, which is referred to in the manual as "flaperon". This should be all that's needed to enable flaperons for anyone using a six-or-more channel receiver with the left aileron servo connected to channel 6. No mix involving ailerons is necessary and the two programmable mixes are still open. (Of course it won't work with an AR500 because there's no channel 6. More steps are needed.)

2. Under ADJUST LIST, select MIX 1 and set it like this:
    Code:
         MIX 1
    GEAR -> GEAR ACT
    RATE D -100% U -100%
    SW ON      TRIM INH
    This should disable the gear switch.

3. Select MIX 2 and set it like this:
    Code:
         MIX 2
    FLAP -> GEAR ACT
    RATE D 100% U 100%
    SW ON      TRIM ACT
    This should mix channel 6 to channel 5 so that the left aileron servo can be plugged into channel 5 on the AR500 receiver.
I'm only guessing about some of these steps according to what's shown in the manual. I won't know for sure until I have a chance to try it myself.

At any rate, even if this can't be done with a DX6i I'm still highly confident that aviator24 can do it with his DX7.

Last edited by Miami Mike; Apr 07, 2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:36 AM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Wouldn't be easier to just get a new 6ch or 7ch RX and sell the 5ch?

Dave
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
I wish I had a DX6i to try it myself but I don't. If I did, here's what I would try:
It still would not help you since its not the TX he's asking about but the AR500rx.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:50 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCNC
Wouldn't be easier to just get a new 6ch or 7ch RX and sell the 5ch?
You consider that easier than doing the three steps that I just posted?

That's kind of weird.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:54 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
It still would not help you since its not the TX he's asking about but the AR500rx.
You don't need an AR500 to try it. All you need is a DX6i and any compatible receiver. If you can plug the left aileron servo into channel 5 and get the flaperon function to work correctly then my method works.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:54 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,291 Posts
Agree with Mike on this one, I would rather figure out the programming then to spend almost twice as much in $$$ for extra ch.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 02:38 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,031 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled about all these different posts referring to various servo arrangements, DX6i, etc.

The original question amounted to whether a DX7 can be programmed to use flaperons with an AR500 (i.e., where the second aileron servo must plug into channel 5 instead of the usual channel 6).

Mike gave a simple answer in post 3 which I verified in post 4. It seemed to me that pretty much closed the case unless there was a better way to do it (which I haven't seen).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 07, 2009, 03:01 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Hey guys,

Even though the AR500 is a 5 channel Rx the second Aileron plug is channel 6 so there is no difference in setting up 2 aileron servos.

This is copied straight from the manual

"Plugging in the Leads
Plug the servo leads into the appropriate servo ports in the receiver noting the polarity of the
servo connector.
Note: The AR500 features dual aileron channels (channel 2 & 6) making it convenient when using aircraft with two separate aileron servos, no Y-harness or when mixing will be needed."

They did not do a very good job proof reading it but I am using one in my 3DHS SR and it works great.

And here is the link to the manual

http://spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files...ionSheetV2.pdf

Hope this helps clear up the confusion

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Apr 07, 2009, 03:01 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint
Hope this helps clear up the confusion
No, it doesn't have much to do with what we're discussing, but thanks anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
I'm a bit puzzled about all these different posts referring to various servo arrangements, DX6i, etc.
We had another thread going about whether or not this could be done with a DX6i but the matter was never resolved. I'd still like to know for sure if it can be done.