SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2009, 10:30 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Discussion
Art Hobby's Hybrid-E 1.5M or Sky-EV 1.7M?

I am looking for a small electric to care in the car that would be able to fly in small fields. I am thinking about either the Hybrid-E or the Sky-EV 1.7. It sounds like the Hybrid is a faster flying plane compared to the Sky, but does that make it a bad choice for small areas? Currently the only Art Hobby sailplane I have is a Serenity-EV which is pretty quick for me and very fun to fly. I would really like to hear from anyone who has either or both on the flight characteristics.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2009, 06:33 AM
ChipG
Manassas, VA
Joined May 2008
189 Posts
I have the Sky 1.7 with the Art Hobby / PJS 900 3D motor. I built it with polyhedral with the 3 piece option. It is a great flying plane with almost vertical performance. It handles very well and thermals in the slightest lift. The 2 servos were mounted under the wing, as far back as possible which was an engineering test, but the plane ballances perfectly with no added weight.
I also have the Hybrid DL, I love it but, I don't see how you could get a motor, speed control, reciever, servos & battery in there. The DL fuse is full up with only 2 servos, reciever & reciever batt.

ChipG
chipgibbs is offline Find More Posts by chipgibbs
Old Apr 06, 2009, 08:16 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
ChipG,
The Hybrid-E does seem to be a small fuselage, but according to the website it is possible:

http://www.arthobby.com/egliders_plan/hybridE_P.html

I think I am leaning towards the Sky 1.7 with the V-tail. I do have an AXI2212/26 which is about equal to the PJS-700. The AXI is good for about 115 watts which should be good but probably not near vertical performance. If it does not end up being enough I could always go with one of the AXI2217s.

This morning I have been looking at the Agena-EV 1.5M. From the catalog it looks like it might be a good one to go with.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 08:27 AM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
728 Posts
Alan,

If thermaling is your thing, my opinion is get the Sky 1.7. I fly one with a cross or conventional tail, but straight wing. I also have its slightly bigger brother, the Sky 2.0 EV. Both are powered by the PJS 900.

I had considered the Hybrid as well, but looking at the weight, wingspan and after having a discussion with Andre, I changed my mind. I think you're right about it being faster. Looks like it might be aerobatic as well looking at the aileron setup.

I have two v-tail birds and I don't think I see any difference in performance between cross-tail and v with one exception. I sometimes do rudder only turns to keep my wings fairly level and I find the cross-tail more effective doing that.

You'll have a slower climb with the PJS 900 compared to your Serenity, but it is a wonderful flyer. I am set up with spoilerons and find them very effective in losing altitude and landing. If you're trimmed for gliding, spoilerons will slow and steepen your approach without losing too much roll control. You won't need a sod farm or desert to land <grin>.

By the way, I had my 2.0 out a few days ago not expecting much thermal activity and took a real elevator ride! Luck would have it, I didn't have my trusty ZLOG on board, but I got way up there. I won't estimate, but it was very hard to maintain orientation, but was short of being a dot. A great day for flying in farm country!

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Apr 06, 2009, 08:37 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Dave,
After digging around some I ended up ordering the Agena-EV this morning. It sounds like it is somewhere in the middle. Not as fast as the Hybrid, but can be faster than the Sky. This is only my second Art Hobby's plane so there are several others out there I would like to try out. Atleast 4 or 5 others I will have to build over the next few years. The Serenity is a very fun one to fly. I still am not able to fly it as well as it could be flown which just means more practice is needed. Also if I can fit two servos in the Agena for the tail I will. I do use rudder alieron mix on the Serenity to smoothen the turns out and like doing so.

Alan
Old Apr 06, 2009, 09:55 AM
Joined Sep 2007
728 Posts
Alan,

Forest Flyer who you'll see on these forums really likes his Agena. He has reported he pushes that little plane pretty hard. Think he's got quite a few seasons on it.

I came pretty close to getting a Renny at one time, but have stuck with the Art Hobby birds. Plenty of variety in the way they handle. I'll be curious to hear about your impressions of the Agena once you get it into the air.

I'd love to fly today but it started out in the 20's with winds gusting around 25. I do fly in the winter but this is pretty uncomfortable.

Dave
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:28 PM
Joined Oct 2008
11 Posts
j'h,

I built a Hybrid a couple of months ago. It was tight but I was able to use two Dymond D47s for the tail. I also used the Multiples BL motor Andre recommends but I'm flying it on 2s Lipos instead of 3s and while not vertical it climbs fine for my relative beginner capabilities.
I would guess that the larger pod of the Agena will easily accept two tail servos.
damfino is offline Find More Posts by damfino
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:34 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
damfino,
I hope it will fit two. Otherwise just one will be in there. I have 4 HS-65HBs sitting around with nothing to do.

Also every time I have checked Andre has been out of the 31mm Low drag spinners. Anyone know where to get them or something close?

Alan
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:47 AM
Joined Oct 2008
11 Posts
jh
Perhaps the Hitec 65s will fit the Agena but even 45s would have been too large for two tail servos in the Hybrid. I used etched teflon tube and carbon rod fixed to the outside of the boom for control rods.
I was able to get 31mm spinners thru NE Sail
damfino is offline Find More Posts by damfino
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:36 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
I talked to Andre today and he mentioned that he should have the low drag spinners at the end of next week unless something happens. I really want one for my Serenity and one for the Agena.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:50 PM
Riley Winglow
Belt, Montana
Joined Feb 2007
289 Posts
I have a Sky 1.7 EV that I've been thinking of selling. It has a few flights on it, but this is such windy country that I am staying with slopers. It has all the Art Hobby stuff that Andre recommends. It does fly great, lands easily with spoilerons, and if you get in a thermal, you'd better be ready to get out. They go up fast. Penetrates very well, slows down well, and slopes well.

Gary
oneniner is offline Find More Posts by oneniner
Old Apr 08, 2009, 03:38 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
I received the Agena-EV today. Looks great and I will start a build thread later tonight.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 07:58 PM
Joined Sep 2007
728 Posts
Alan,

If you're planning on going very fast with that bird, you may want to think about laying a very light layer of glass on the bottom of the ruddervator control surfaces. I tore off most of one of mine last summer on my Sky 2.0 EV after letting it build up too much speed coming out of a thermal.

Must have developed some flutter and lost about 2/3 of the control surface. I saw the piece floating like a white butterfly. Landed fine.

I build light, but have taken to putting a sigle layer of 3/4 oz glass down with a single coat of finishing resin and smooth it out with 600 grit.

Dave
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:19 PM
Riley Winglow
Belt, Montana
Joined Feb 2007
289 Posts
I glassed both sides of the V tail and ruddervators on my Sky as well. This was highly recommended by Andre. Use the lightest cloth you can find.

Gary
oneniner is offline Find More Posts by oneniner
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:21 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Do you remove the ruddervators from the v-tail or do you glass them with them attached? Also how do you avoid getting the fabric pattern with only one coat of finishing resin? It does seem that the balsa for the tail would soak up alot of resin.

Alan