HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2009, 08:09 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Discussion
Build Log of EPI-WIG. a WIG(wing in ground effect) vehicle.

I saw a video of a wing in ground vehicle years ago, though it was cool, and that was it.

Recently I was bored and started sketching something on paper that had just come into my mind.

The materials were going to be what I had on hand. So they ended up being quarter inch thick Fan-Fold-Foam(FFF) bamboo skewers, Titebond II wood glue, rubber bands, and a bit of tape

Oh and to remove any confusion the skewers are used to hold everything together. And it works really really well. I used it first with the wings, holding the layers together, and later for holding the layers of foam together for various parts.

The electronics:
2 mini servos
Motor and ESC from a Crashed FreeWing F6F Hellcat
1300MaH Li-po

Wing span 2.5 feet, wing chord 1 foot.

Weight with all electronics ~1.25 pounds

EDIT:Oh this is one of the original sketches I did on the design of the craft.

Done with the program Colors, on my Nintendo DS

I did a rough design of it in Sketch up

I started building it, with no real final set of plans in mind.

I decided to use custom version of the Kline-Fogleman step airfoil

I gave the fuselage a nice tear-drop shape

Lots of room for electronics and ballast.

The wing on the fuse

I got all the electronics in to it, I still have to mount the battery and the receiver, run the antenna, put the skid material on the bottom of the fuse, cut off all the the ends of the bamboo skewers and sand them, and paint the plane. I may also give it some wing tips to help it with stability.

The skewers you see sticking out here will be trimmed and sanded, I am leaving them until the glue is 100% dry and set.

1.25 pounds

The motor is insanely strong, and gives a huge amount of thrust, so I may have to limit the throttle to make this stay in ground effect.
AttackingHobo is offline Find More Posts by AttackingHobo
Last edited by AttackingHobo; Apr 07, 2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added original sketch
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2009, 10:18 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Deleted double post
Last edited by AttackingHobo; Apr 05, 2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Deleted double post
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:30 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
So what do you guys think?
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:41 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,063 Posts
Its going to Fly May end up more a plane.

Ron
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:44 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,180 Posts
I'm looking forward to the maiden flight. Interesting looking aircraft. Experimenting with unusual designs makes for a heap of fun. You never know what you're going to learn from it. It's all about "owning" the experience which can then be applied to a future project. Like putting assets in your memory banks. Eventually, they all add up.
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Apr 06, 2009, 11:44 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Its going to Fly May end up more a plane.

Ron
If it ends up as a plane, I will just limit the throttle, and or add weight.

And right now, all the electronics, including the battery are way far behind the CG, so I am going to have to add a lot of ballast to make this flyable. And I am going to cover the plane in newspaper and glue, to add strength and paintability.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 11:45 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo
I'm looking forward to the maiden flight. Interesting looking aircraft. Experimenting with unusual designs makes for a heap of fun. You never know what you're going to learn from it. It's all about "owning" the experience which can then be applied to a future project. Like putting assets in your memory banks. Eventually, they all add up.
I will make sure to film the maiden flight, as it will end up spectacular. Either in success or pieces.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:05 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackingHobo
If it ends up as a plane, I will just limit the throttle, and or add weight.

And right now, all the electronics, including the battery are way far behind the CG, so I am going to have to add a lot of ballast to make this flyable. And I am going to cover the plane in newspaper and glue, to add strength and paintability.
Creating the "Controlled" cushion with the flat plate wing will be the difficult part, most are an undercamber wing or what I call and inverted Deep V, these both create the pocket cushion without making the drag overwhelming. I have a Dupron prototype of the German Jörg, it works very well as a hand push <no power just yet>.

The Ram Wing is the only Flat plate I have seen. <caption below>
Nearly all WIG boats utilise high pressure ram air for increased lift, but the plain ram wing WIG boat is considered to be one that does not have any of the advanced features described in the other concepts.

Some of the early WIG boats were based on this concept, usually they had a low aspect ratio wing (almost square) and a (large) horizontal tail mounted out of ground effect which provides the necessary stability. The wing is usually fitted with endplates in order to enhance ground effect

Some have a Elevator that is more for fine trim the smooth out the cushion, not a lot of throws or she just flips over.

I need to get back to my Jorg and work on it some more.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:15 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Quote:
Creating the "Controlled" cushion with the flat plate wing will be the difficult part, most are an undercamber wing or what I call and inverted Deep V, these both create the pocket cushion without making the drag overwhelming. I have a Dupron prototype of the German Jörg, it works very well as a hand push <no power just yet>.

The Ram Wing is the only Flat plate I have seen. <caption below>
Nearly all WIG boats utilise high pressure ram air for increased lift, but the plain ram wing WIG boat is considered to be one that does not have any of the advanced features described in the other concepts.

Some of the early WIG boats were based on this concept, usually they had a low aspect ratio wing (almost square) and a (large) horizontal tail mounted out of ground effect which provides the necessary stability. The wing is usually fitted with endplates in order to enhance ground effect

Some have a Elevator that is more for fine trim the smooth out the cushion, not a lot of throws or she just flips over.

I need to get back to my Jorg and work on it some more.
End plates on the wing tips? I was already going to do that.

Do you think bending the trailing edge down like permanent semi deployed flaps would enhance the ground effect, because that was another thing that I was considering.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:25 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,063 Posts
Quote:
End plates on the wing tips? I was already going to do that.

Do you think bending the trailing edge down like permanent semi deployed flaps would enhance the ground effect, because that was another thing that I was considering.
The Ram wing is more a square with a high angle of attack and the sides <tips> as you mentioned. I "think" the idea was to make a stalled wing <that would not climb into flight> that created a air cushion.

You are sort of between 2 designs, the Ram Wing.
http://www.se-technology.com/wig/htm...code=0#ramwing

and the ekranoplan
http://www.se-technology.com/wig/htm...&code=0#parwig

I am not sure how mixing the 2 would work.

I went with the Tandem <Jorg> as my first attempt, there was more information out about them at the time. Then I seen this model made with the Lippisch style on a video and I was really impressed with it. Yes, distracted again.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:43 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
What is the fun in building something that is tried, old and guaranteed to work?

I had a flash of inspiration, and decided to make something original, hopefully I will be able to make this work.

What do you think would be the best way to waterproof this one, as I think it would be fun to fly it on water, after I get the kinks worked out.

Quote:
The Ram wing is more a square with a high angle of attack and the sides <tips> as you mentioned. I "think" the idea was to make a stalled wing <that would not climb into flight> that created a air cushion.

You are sort of between 2 designs, the Ram Wing.
http://www.se-technology.com/wig/htm...code=0#ramwing

and the ekranoplan
http://www.se-technology.com/wig/htm...&code=0#parwig

I am not sure how mixing the 2 would work.

I went with the Tandem <Jorg> as my first attempt, there was more information out about them at the time. Then I seen this model made with the Lippisch style on a video and I was really impressed with it. Yes, distracted again.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:49 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,063 Posts
Quote:
What is the fun in building something that is tried, old and guaranteed to work?
I had a flash of inspiration, and decided to make something original, hopefully I will be able to make this work.
What do you think would be the best way to waterproof this one, as I think it would be fun to fly it on water, after I get the kinks worked out.
I understand, I dont want to discourage from your efforts, they have just been doing these since the 40's, hate to see someone beat their head against foam for the basics.

The nice thing about a WIG, it needs weight to keep it from flying or flipping, you could do near anything to waterproof it. Foam safe epoxy and skim cote it, several cotes of the water based clears, low heat types of mono cote.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 06:16 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
I never really looked at any rc ground effect vehicles before designing my model, because I wanted my model to be original. But it looks like the vehicles that are in ground effect have their trailing edge really close to the ground, so I am going to bend the wing of my plane to get it closer to the ground in flight, while also having it shape the airflow downwards to generate a stronger cushion of air.

I think I will give the bottom of the wing some nice vertical panels to help focus the air even greater in ground effect.

I think I will be able to maiden this craft tomorrow if I work hard enough tonight, although I think I will have to wait till Thursday to put the spray paint on.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 09:28 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,063 Posts
This is one of my favoite WIG example videos,

youtube.com/watch?v=l3Xjl34lDYI

For some reason it will not allow it to be embedded, toss a www. infront to view on Youtube site or search Youtube for Aerospace engineers and their toys!

The begining is a perfect design for a Lippisch, this would be my goal to get this type of WIG.

Good luck tomorrow with your test, let us know how it goes.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:32 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Thanks for that video. When I originally was explaining this to kpeevyhouse from the forums here, he thought I was talking about a ground effect glider, and he was confused on how it would work. When he said that, I laughed it off, and told him it would be powered. Now I am starting to think that It would be possible to make a ground effect rc glider like that for awesome downhill highspeed runs.

Oh and I finished the plane, other covering and paint, but I am going to try to fly it tomorrow, and the images of the completed plane should be up hopefully within 30 minutes.

Quote:
This is one of my favoite WIG example videos,

youtube.com/watch?v=l3Xjl34lDYI

For some reason it will not allow it to be embedded, toss a www. infront to view on Youtube site or search Youtube for Aerospace engineers and their toys!

The begining is a perfect design for a Lippisch, this would be my goal to get this type of WIG.

Good luck tomorrow with your test, let us know how it goes.