HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2009, 01:08 PM
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
Discussion
18.5" Yak 55 Build (leadfeather's EPPYAK-55plans)

Well to start off, this is my first scratch build (from plans). I'm 18 and I have flying for about a year now. I have been reading on rc groups for awile now, and I decided to build somthing.

Thank you very much to all the people out there like leadfeather for making planes and refining them over and over, and posting the plans on the internet for others to enjoy.

Now for my build.

Well I had a few things lying around. This is what I used for the build.

- E-flight Park 180 motor
- Castle Creations Thunderbird 6 amp ESC
- Bluebird 303 servos
- Futaba's new R6004FF receiver
- ElictriFly 2s 300 mAh battery

The plane is built out of 2.5mm depron.

Here is the plane all cut out with all the electronics on a scale. (this is when I got really excited)

I used a pull pull set up for the elevator and rudder. I used 3/32 plywood for the thorn. Then I used the lightest thread I could find in my Moms sewing box.

I used parts from a Great Planes Flatout and the Z-bends from my PA Addiction for the aleron control rods.

Here is a look at the control thorn I made for the pull pull rudder. Again, out of 3/32 ply.

I made the motor mount out of 3/32 plywood, and used the smallest amount of hot glue I could to glue it on.

Starting to figure out where to put the electronics.

Finished, ready to fly weight with the battery. 2.65 oz.

I'm running a GWS 6x3 prop. It draws just over 4 amps. Making about 30 watts, giving me about 180 watts per pound.

My calculations tell me that the wing loading is about 3.5 oz per square foot.

I haven't had a chance to fly it yet. Winds have been about 10 km/h even at night. When I do have the chance to fly it I will get it on film and post it for you guys.

Since this is just prototype # 1 I have all kinds of ideas to make a new lighter one. I am going to upsize the plans to about 20" maybe 22" to make it more floaty. But I want to lighten it to as close to 2.5 oz as I can.

If the plane ends up working I would like to try a lighter battery. The 300 mAh is alittle over kill for this plane.

Thanks alot for reading my build thread.

PS. Sorry for the size of the pics. This forum doesn't resize the pics for you.
K0na_stinky is offline Find More Posts by K0na_stinky
Last edited by K0na_stinky; Apr 05, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2009, 04:05 PM
Winging it “>
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
K0na_stinky, looks great, I can't wait to hear how this one works out for you. Best of luck.

For the photos, If you clik on the "manage attachments" button when creating or editing a post, there is a function there for uploading pictures. I think it will save you some effort next time.

Dan
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather