HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2003, 07:49 PM
Tuscaloosa, AL ROLL TIDE!
Joined Mar 2003
109 Posts
Flying GWS P-51 maiden tomorrow. First aileron plane and advice needed

Hey guys,

Well I've got my GWS P-51 Mustang set up and hope to maiden it tomorrow. I've been flying the SS for the past five months and have gotten really good with it, but this is my first aileron aircraft and am a little nervous, and would like to know what to expect. Can anyone give me some pointers that will hopefully help me have a crash-free maiden. I know checking the CG is very important. What is a decent throttle speed for cruising around? What should I expect from the turning capability of the ailerons themselves. And last, could I start off with using just the rudder and elevator? Sorry for all of the questions, but want to make sure it goes well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also going to be using an 8 cell 720mAh NIMH battery. Thanks for all of the help and look forward to reading your posts.

-Matt
Subysouth is offline Find More Posts by Subysouth
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2003, 07:56 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
The rudder on the mustang is not very effective for turning.
The mustang will tip stall 10 times more than your slow stick so don't let it slow down too much. The 730 mah NiMh will give you more power at less weight to get out of trouble. Do not use too much elevator.

Have fun
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Mar 27, 2003, 07:59 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,646 Posts
No dont try to fly it rud/elevator it wont turn aileron elevator will work tho,if you can get a more experanced flyer to fly it just to check it out if you can,keep the throws on the ailerons at the min.but different than the slow stick,you have to fly it all the time,and the worst thing you could do would be to fly it tail heavy! i have a p 51 and i put a brushless in it,really flys good now,only like 1.5 oz heavier, i hop this answers your questions.......Dennis
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:29 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,905 Posts
You want a crash free first flight? Have an experienced flyer hook you up to a buddy box for the first couple of flights. You got a tiger there for your first aileron ship. Hope I'm wrong...

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:44 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Suby:
Don't worry, this plane is NOT all that hard to fly & I Did NOT crash on my Maiden flight. If your CG is correct, you will be fine just be aware that this plane is kinda fast so keep your Eye on it. The main thing is be gentle on the ailerons, you must turn & then correct to right the wings back to level. The other thing to watch is keep your power up when landing, power on until about 2-3 feet off the ground, then chop & slide into the grass.

-Good Luck-

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:32 PM
Joined Mar 2003
109 Posts
Thanks for all of your responses. I'm looking forward to maidening her tomorrow and will post the first flight report when I get done(hopefully a positive one). Also, would you guys recommend a ground takeoff or a hand launch? I hear alot of people doing it both ways, but wanted to know what would be the best until I get used to her. Again thanks for all of your posts and wish me luck.

-Matt
Old Mar 28, 2003, 04:40 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Subysouth
Also, would you guys recommend a ground takeoff or a hand launch?
ROG every time. It's bad enough having to react to a plane you won't know how it's going to fly let alone having to worry about chucking it (and getting it level!) and then getting your hands back on the controls in a split second to react to those unknown controls! Only consider a hand launch if you've got someone else who can throw it for you (and is familiar with HOW to hand launch a plane!).

Best of luck.

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Mar 28, 2003, 05:31 AM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
Looks like you already have some good advice but I will throw my 2 cents in.

If you can have a more experienced pilot test fly the plane, trying to trim your first airleron plane can be a bit much on a test flight.

Make sure the CG is set slight nose forward.

Make sure ALL controls are set a the recomended settings.

If your radio has expo dial in around 30-40%.

And the big one someone already mentioned is you have to fly this plane all the time! Set up you pattern and stick to it and dont forget to relevel the wings after every bank!

I would not have recommended the 51 as the first airleron plane but everyone learns at thier own rate so you might do OK.

Ohh 1 last thing dont fly long the first flight... you can only hold your breath so long!

Mike
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Mar 28, 2003, 08:23 AM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
OK, the mustang was my first aileron plane and I am very glad it was. It tought me good habits and I am confident I can fly anything now.

I have well over 30 flights on her and only one crash...3rd flight bad RF hit, installed nice dual conversion, no more problems.

OK here are my keys to success...

1. MAKE SURE the CG is about 10 mm ahead of wing spar. I use the 8 cell 720 mah and 8 cell 800 mah as well and I can assure you you will need to carve out a condiderable amount of foam in the nose to get the batt as far forward as possible to balance CG.

2. Set the throws to the lowest reccomended travel and then do dual rates of about 60% and use them for the start!! It flies soo much better with the throws set low. The rudder is the exception and the ailerons can be set high when you get more comfortable. Personally I hand launch with dual rates on and click off the aileron dual rate for aerobatics,
THE ELEVATOR IS INSANLY SENSITIVE!!! You need a minute amount of travel to do loops well, any more and she will stall herself.

3. If its possible have an experienced pilot fly her and trim her out for you. It makes a world of difference.

4. I totally disagree with Cliff about the ROG. I am very experienced and I even consider ROG with a steerable tailwheel 3ch plane diffucult.
Have someone hand launch for the first time. Keep in mind the stang isnt a SS and needs a good firm LEVEL toss.

5. Frankenfoamy said the p51 tip stalls 10x easer than SS, not true...the SS doesnt tip stall at all and the mustang does. Keep the first flight to about 3 mins and leave it at 3/4 to full throttle the whole time, shes not a glider. When setting up to land get about 25 feet facing upwind and chop power. Allow her to settle into a nice glide, she will do so by herself. at about 2 feet GENTLY flair and she will smoothly slide in. Most people have problems with tip stalling while trying to slow down and land. Keep in mine the mustang lands fast and you will be fine.

6. Good Luck! Shes such an awesome bird and IMO you made a great choice for your first aileron plane. You willl learn alot. And remember anything you do to it can be fixed!

Enjoy,
Sean
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Mar 28, 2003, 08:51 AM
Joined Mar 2003
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rOC
It tought me good habits and I am confident I can fly anything now.

Enjoy,
Sean
:-) Try a real model airplane sometime and I think you might change your mind.

Suby: I'd suggest that you make sure that you fly on a completely calm day, sometime in the morning or evening perhaps. Wind is something you don't want to be fighting your first time up. Make SURE to get the CG a little foreward, but not to far foreward. Limit the elevator travel and you should be alright. Good luck.
Aslander is offline Find More Posts by Aslander
Old Mar 28, 2003, 09:56 AM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
What does that mean? As apposed to a fake model airplane? Hmmm does that mean I fly fake airplanes in real life too?

Aslender dont be mean. The foam GWS models fly as well as whatever model your referring to. Your just making your jealousy blatently obvious and you look like an idiot.

**Edited for Profanity, Jim McPherson**
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Last edited by Jim McPherson; Mar 28, 2003 at 10:57 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:30 AM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
Right on Av8roc.
-Sam
FLYWINGFAN is offline Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:46 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
Have an exp. flyer maiden it to get it trimmed out, If not just watch out for too steep a climb out right after launch. If that happens you must immediatly level out, else it will be stall city. once trimmed there will be less likely a chance of the steep climb on takeoff. The other thing is to remember that most ail, low wing planes do not have a tendancy to return to level flight, once a bank is started you need to reverse control to return to level. Think of it this way a high wing trainer is like a marble in a bowl, it tends to want to return to the bottom of the bowl (level flight). A low wing ail ship is like a marble on a sheet of flat glass, goes one way until acted upon. Of course then there are Helicopters, take that bowl and turn it upside down, then put the marble on the top. One more thing dont try slowing down until you are at least 4 dumb high, then you can experiment with how slow you can go before getting into trouble.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:47 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aslander
:-) Try a real model airplane sometime and I think you might change your mind.

Please define a "real model airplane" for all us knuckleheads out here, so we can lose our phony model airplanes and go get some real ones and join the "Real Model Airplane Club".

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Last edited by Chuck; Mar 28, 2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:14 PM
Joined Mar 2003
109 Posts
Thanks for all of your recommendations. I'm going to get her prepped up this afternoon, but it will probably be tomorrow before the maiden. The wind is really blowing here right now with gusts up to 20mph . I will give you guys a complete first flight report after the maiden and hopefully all will go well. Thanks again.

-Matt