HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2001, 03:07 PM
Surrey,UK
Joined May 2001
58 Posts
Is there anywhere in the UK as good as Hobby Lobby?

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK which sells as good a variety as Hobby Lobby?

Trev
trevsie is offline Find More Posts by trevsie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2001, 03:58 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,482 Posts
Al's Hobbies, West London Models, and Gliders cover pretty much everything IMO. Galaxy, Slough r/c, and Bagnalls are also pretty good.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jun 11, 2001, 05:17 PM
Surrey,UK
Joined May 2001
58 Posts
I was looking at stuff like this: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/gear400.htm

I have never seen this variety (especially at these prices) fromany UK source
Regards,
Trev

trevsie is offline Find More Posts by trevsie
Old Jun 11, 2001, 05:30 PM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
no.

sorry.

David
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Jun 11, 2001, 05:48 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
You're probably right - I've certainly not seen any website to match. I have had brilliant service from Inwood Models, near Cambridge, though. Their mail order is excellent - a lot better than their website!
alterego is offline Find More Posts by alterego
Old Jun 12, 2001, 03:43 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trevsie:
I have never seen this variety (especially at these prices) fromany UK source
You certainly won't see those prices over here. Though when comparing prices you might remember to add shipping, import duty (usually 5%) and VAT (17.5%). It can still be cheaper to buy from the US but watch the shipping costs (you pay VAT on those too).

There are lots of good EFlight sources in mainland Europe too.

The best UK sources do not have very good websites though they do have quite good ranges of equipment.

Steve

[This message has been edited by slewin (edited 06-12-2001).]
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jun 12, 2001, 04:11 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Ha, slewin - gotcha !!

Are you inferring that the UK is not part of Europe, or just Reading ?
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jun 12, 2001, 05:54 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Actually, I think G.B. is drifting closer and closer to the U.S. every year. On a clear day from the shores of New Jersey...

[This message has been edited by tempest411 (edited 06-12-2001).]
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old Jun 12, 2001, 09:02 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisP:
Ha, slewin - gotcha !!
Better now ?

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jun 12, 2001, 01:28 PM
Oxfordshire, UK.
Joined Nov 1999
107 Posts
West London Models, large selection of electric goodies, prices are also good, and what I like is fast mail order.
Mike.
dommi is offline Find More Posts by dommi
Old Jun 13, 2001, 02:54 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Steve
No comfort at all. You would not believe how much I need the security blanket of the UK just a 6 hour car drive away. No way in hell do I want it to drift further away.

Hey, in this respect my life is really going down the drain. About 4 months ago the idiots at the BBC suddenly took Radio 4 off the satellite. We were suddenly confronted with a life without The Archers. Can you imagine that ? Only massive protests from ex-pats got them to put it back on - 'temporarily' I might add.

None of us are getting much model building done at the moment as we are all building dedicated satellite equipment about the size of the Jodrell Bank radio telescope to pick up their new satllite which is designed so that you can't get the BBC in Europe (I'm not kidding). I never thought my quarter scale sevos would ever be used agin !

We then learned that Sky will be taking Sky News off the free air satellite. Hey, I don't mind paying a rental fee, but the service is only available to customers on mainland UK. There are already websites which tell you how to smuggle the Sky equipment out of the country without them knowing. I kid you not.

I'll tell you something - take a Brit out of Blighty and deprive him of The Archers, pork pies and Marmite and he can turn REALLY nasty.

Hey, I have to get out your way some time to see the aircraft museum at Woodley. They are restoring a Miles Martinet. My Dad flew Martinets at Gosport in 1945. Reading is a nice part of the country.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP