HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2009, 10:28 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Discussion
Can Bondo Fiberglass for car repair be used to construct sub bodies?

Well im now learning about fiberglassing for sailplanes, i figure i could probably use the bondo car repair fiberglass stuff for building submarines, i could sand out a tubular mold out of foam and then lay the fiberglass on it.

Also what electronics do i use for subs?

Like 75mhz ground system? 4 ch, with reversable esc? 3c lipo and brushless outrunner? i could probably just use nimh/brushed stuff but ya know...

just gathering some info this will be a summer project.
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2009, 11:33 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,595 Posts
GreenAce92:

I see no issues with any of what you asked about, I have a really nice dave manley designed blueback hull with my own built WTC in it, and I am using a 4 channel ground frequency radio, a CC mamba brushless car ESC and an eflite 400 size outrunner, running on a 2s lipo. the boat runs great.

As far as building your own hull, the biggest issue you have to worry about with subs is that the faster an epoxy or polyester cures, the less water resistant it is.

I know nothing about the bondo products, but if they fully cure any faster than 12 to 24 hours, you might want to use something else.

I personally use this stuff for my epoxy hulls:
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

It is probably more expensive than the bondo stuff, but it has never failed me.

finally, here is an excellent build of an ohio class submarine on the subcommittee's website:

http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...ic.php5?t=6264

obviously it is far advanced than most people will ever do, but it will answer alot of questions on how the pro's do this sort of thing.

keep the subcommittee website handy as well, they are the premier r/c sub group in the US
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Apr 04, 2009, 11:33 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Jan 2005
214 Posts
Assuming the Bondo resin is polyester? It will work (as tsenecal mentioned, the longer cure resin the better).
I constructed pieces for my project using glass from Wal-Mart, but I used West Systems epoxy resin (from a local marine supply store). I used a turned down fence post, saran wrap for a mold release and it worked fine. Check out SubPirates and look for the PARCHE build.
expfcwintergreen is offline Find More Posts by expfcwintergreen
Old Apr 04, 2009, 01:26 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Cool! thanks guys! yes i've been to Subpirates and the SubCommitee before amazing models they have! my favorite sub is the Virginia Class Seawolf, that is an amazing sub. Ummm for my glider stuff i use PolyCrylic Minwax Clear Satin, its like paint, this is what im using to harden the glass in a shape it dries enough to be handled in 2-3hours in 77degree and 50percent humidity conditions both which i do not have so it'll take me probably 6hours or so, but it doesnt cure untill like 24hours or so
Old Apr 04, 2009, 02:19 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Jan 2005
214 Posts
Most important.... have fun, experiment and don't be afraid to ask questions. We've all been where you are now.
Old Apr 04, 2009, 02:24 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
alright thank you! im not a total newb at submarines i have researched them extensively last year, i was actually thinking of building a small maybe 20in long sub, with a static diving system composed of 2 syringes with a worm drive to push them, so that water could be pumped in and out, i've also seen bladder bags i think they are called. Yeah the hardest part is the WTC but they are commercially made available by like Dave Welsch i think it is? but yea some of the models built are amazing! like the nautilus. sweet stuff! i started with subs from a walmart Seawolf(hence why i like it) then later i got a USS Shark with a working rudder. My Seawolf is under this pond somewhere i have swam in it trying to recover it, nasty stuff, specially from a pond that is filled with decaying leaves and never gets sunlight.
Old Apr 04, 2009, 03:22 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Jan 2005
214 Posts
Cool. Be careful with recovery. Remember it's only a model.

Don't be afraid of the cylinder. They are easier than they look to put together, I made my own. Kevin Price did an excellent step-by-step tutorial on SP. Ronald van Aalst (hopefully I spelled that right) has a simple piston tank using a servo hack here:
http://home.vianetworks.nl/~raalst/kilo/cheapwtc.html
http://home.vianetworks.nl/~raalst/kilo/propkolben.html

Many will say you need to spend the big bucks, but if you have reasonable skills and the drive to finish it, you should do just fine on your own.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:03 AM
Joined Jan 2006
80 Posts
The spelling is spot on ;-).

there will be a write up of the servo hack in one of the upcoming SCR (SubCommmittee Reports, the magazine you get when you are a paid member of the SubCommittee)

I never finished the simple WTC endcap because I found a better way for my specific boat (using my lathe and a pre-made PVC drain pipe end cap ). Sorry. if you try this be sure to
use a material that does not crack. perspex cracks easily...

Please be advised that Fung Pang as shown an alternative way of making an end cap.
can be found here : http://home.att.net/~cheap-sub/endcap.html
raalst is offline Find More Posts by raalst
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:38 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Just remember that Bondo is NOT waterproof. It will absorb water and delaminate from the FG over time. If you're just using it to make your mold then it's fine. I've used WBPU over glass on faomy ARF's before and it does not get hard enough with glass to really make a hull IMO. You can use inexpensive automotive body work polyester resin to do the FG work here if using the Bondo to make a hull. You'll have to seal the bondo plug with a primer and then wax, wax, wax, wax (you get the idea) the heck out of the plug so the FG and resin won't stick to it.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:40 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
wow
i did not know that lol, just thinking since they use it on boats and such it would be waterproof.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 10:40 AM
Joined Jan 2006
80 Posts
I understand it will weaken in water (becoming clay-like) but that painting/laquering it
will make it resist better. still, do you want to re-paint every scratch after every patrol...
raalst is offline Find More Posts by raalst
Old Apr 05, 2009, 10:56 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
not really lol, oh just as a side note, what if we actually recreated a scale model of i think those japanese subs which had a hanger built into it with a small recon plane. That would be so cool! with a working plane and everythinG!
Old Apr 05, 2009, 11:07 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92
wow
i did not know that lol, just thinking since they use it on boats and such it would be waterproof.

Boats are made of fg and resin not bondo.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303