New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
It's the "Field of Dream's" effect. IF you build it-They WILL come.

I wonder how long it will take to have the first member with a 3 digit then 4 digit number??

Now that we have LSF's blessing, this thing is going to EXPLODE.

Ken
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,837 Posts
Hi Steve, just a thought here but what if you had a catagory in the upper levels that required a TD flight after, let's 7:00 pm. The purpose of this task would be to get in a TD flight after the big boomers and major thermal activity had stopped and you would be relying on small, weak lift. I think this could be very challenging.

Wayne

PS the package is on its way. Coming FedEx, will get you a tracking number tomorrow.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:40 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
Wayne. I like the idea of an evening TD task. Just wondering how it will fair with those of us in the northern latatude's as 7:00pm now is getting dark.

Ken
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:49 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,837 Posts
Well maybe it could be something like "the flight shall not start more than 3 hours before sunset". That way everyone is dealing with basically the same situation. Now I know that different latitudes will have different conditions but that is something that is dealt with currently. It can be easily agreed that the flying conditions are different in Arizona compared to here in Minnesota. No real way to even that one out.

Wayne
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:18 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
So I vote we all move to Arizona,build our own soaring town,elect Steve as the Mayor,and all soar happily ever after.

Jee,I am getting close to retirement,and these cold winter's are getting tuff,so that maybe a good idea .

Ken
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by tbroeski
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
513 Posts
Lucky # 13

As the 13th registrant, I had a couple hours to kill this morning, so with Keith Ebeltoft and Chuck Pinnell as witnesses, I knocked out the (2) 30 min and (1) 30 min with landing. Should have the rest done over the weekend at the CASA ESL contest.
Tom
tbroeski is online now Find More Posts by tbroeski
Old Sep 11, 2009, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroeski
As the 13th registrant, I had a couple hours to kill this morning, so with Keith Ebeltoft and Chuck Pinnell as witnesses, I knocked out the (2) 30 min and (1) 30 min with landing. Should have the rest done over the weekend at the CASA ESL contest.
Tom
Welcome on board Tom, great to have a LV with us.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Geez, did I make this too easy? All three 30 minute flights in 1 day. I must have forgot to tell you lucky # 13 has to do all the tasks twice. I see a new member coming soon.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:43 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
All 3 30 minute task's in one day!! Why do I suddenly feel like I have entered the Indy 500 with a 1970 station wagon . Oh well this is a journy not a destination, Right? Winter is comeing on fast(temp was 6 degree's this morning)so I had best make good use of the time left.

Anyway,well done and welcome Tom

Ken
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
S, S, S, Six degrees......brrrrrr...... Start a bon fire. Stay warm and create your own thermal. Just the thought of it makes me shiver. Man I hate winter!
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Sep 12, 2009, 07:22 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,837 Posts
We are talking Canada, so that temp was is celcius right? Please say yes.

Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Spatz
All 3 30 minute task's in one day!! Why do I suddenly feel like I have entered the Indy 500 with a 1970 station wagon . Oh well this is a journy not a destination, Right? Winter is comeing on fast(temp was 6 degree's this morning)so I had best make good use of the time left.

Anyway,well done and welcome Tom

Ken
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:09 AM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
Sorry! Forgot you guy's are still in the 19th century,so that would be a touch over 40F. It will be in the single digit F temp's soon enuff,as we normally have our first snowfall in the next 2 to 3 week's.

Ken (who lives nextdoor to Nanook of the North)
Old Sep 13, 2009, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by Ralph Weaver
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,303 Posts
I've been following this thread for a long time. My problem is not just the ability to get to contests and slopes, which the SSP has addressed, but with two young children and a demanding job, I never know very far ahead of time when I'll be able to fly. So getting a witness is nearly impossible.

I'd like to see some consideration of allowing a GPS data logger as a witness. I make the SkyTraceGPS (www.magtechinc.net) and would like to use mine as a witness. If you launch from the landing target then it is very easy to tell if you landed close enough. You can also very easily determine the flight time. The data file has a checksum that prevents tampering with the data. So, after a flight, the data is downloaded from the GPS and either sent in or posted for review. I'd be happy to review the logs of anyone using the SkyTraceGPS.

Thoughts?
Ralph Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Weaver
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
769 Posts
Steve,

would aerotow within the 60sec / 300m restrictions be a possible launch method?

Bernd
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:26 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,837 Posts
Hi Ralph, If my memory is correct the use of a data logging device is already permissable for the timed flights. At the time the discussion was surrounding the popular devices like Eagletree and RAM. I also believe that in the higher levels the landing tasks get to be as close as 1 meter. Can the device you are proposing track distances that small?