HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:33 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,549 Posts
I can't think of any reason you couldn't use a DLG to complete your tasks. It would make things a bit more challenging. If you find a reason let me know and we'll try to address it if we can. It would really make me happy if someone could figure out the advanced slope program for us flat landers. Remember though it has to work any where in the world.

On a side note: It's good to see this thread coming back to life. I also added a new aspirant this morning. Now if the winds would calm down from 25-30 I would go out and do some flying.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:31 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
560 Posts
So far I've done more than half of my SSP tasks with a DLG, including the 30 minute flights. Yes - it's harder for the long flights than a larger plane would be, but it requires less setup time, so you get to take advantage of smaller blocks of time.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Last edited by 2motheus; Mar 09, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:24 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
It would really make me happy if someone could figure out the advanced slope program for us flat landers. Remember though it has to work any where in the world.

Steve I offered my help some time ago, and then I do not know where we got :P If you provide me with the basic lines of what you have I can try to put something together and after your approval we can present it on the SSP group for extra input

>Regards

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:56 AM
SSP ASP#88
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
Hi, I tried to submit a program application form just now, but the CAPTCHA image is not being shown, so no way to get past the form validation. Makes me a sad bear.

--[Lance]
labrown is offline Find More Posts by labrown
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:20 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,549 Posts
The auto form is being a pain again. I'm about ready to just remove it. Just PM or e-mail me the info and I'll take care of it personally. Sorry for the hassle.

INFORMATION REQUESTED
R/C Groups.com Member Name
Name
Street address
City, state
Zip/postal code
Country
Phone - optional
Cell - optional
Are you an LSF member
LSF level if applicable
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:44 AM
SSP ASP#88
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
And I'm on my way with two GPS-logged 5 minute flights on my Radian this weekend. :-) I have a CAM altitude limiter in my Radian and use it to control my launches. I get either 200m altitude or 30 second motor run.

I would have had more flights Sunday, but I lost sight of my plane in the sun on the second flight and crashed it hard, ending my flying.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:32 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,549 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Except for the crash. Did you get you landing on either one? You have to love a Radian for cheap quality soaring. You should see the 120" Radian I built. On a calm day it's almost impossible to get down. Here it is with a standard one next to it for comparison.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:43 AM
SSP ASP#88
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
Sadly, no. My landings still suck badly. I'm still learning how to line up the plane so it lands where I want it instead of where the winds and the air dictate. I'll get it sooner or later. :-) And yeah, I love my Radian. What an easy, great way to get into this hobby.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
128 Posts
Hi Steve et al
Finally got my first official flight in today. 5 min 20 sec thermal flight with precision landing.
I'm using a Soaring Circuits CAM set for 150 m. My timer switch is next to my flight mode one. That lets me start the timer when I switch from launch mode to cruise/thermal mode. My launch mode is the only one that enables the motor.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Smith
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,549 Posts
Sweet. Don't forget to mark the printout and send it with your form.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,451 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I got out and finished up all my spot landings yesterday for my copper level. I already have some of the flight tasks completed so I am well on my way. The longer TD flights will be a real challenge for me but that is what the program is about. Challenging oneself. The weather closed in here again and it is 37 degrees and windy so no flying for a little while.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,549 Posts
Good job! I need to get out my form and see where I'm at. The weather here is the same. It went from hot and good for soaring to cold and windy. It's early in the season though. Keep up the good work.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:45 AM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
128 Posts
Finished my 5 min stuff last weekend and did my first 15min TD yesterday(16m 34 s). I gained 42 meters above my motor off altitude of 150m. I need to work on my landings as well.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Smith
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:29 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,549 Posts
Great job! I like doing my landing practice when the lift isn't so good. With my Radian I love to come in hot and do a loop or two to bleed off the speed and then land. It makes for quality entertainment.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:36 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,549 Posts
We just added another aspirant bringing us to 89. Welcome Evil-Tunes. I hope you enjoy the program. How's everyone else doing?

On a personal note. I've just picked up a motor for the OLY III. As soon as I get a chance she's going electric. I think she'll get a lot more air time that way. After all of the spraying last year the SSP field is looking good. The farmers removed the 3 silos at the end of the field this spring. Then the farmer across from me added 2 large silos (thermal generators) across the street. The best part is they seem to throw some really nice thermals right over the field on most days. I've aborted many landings due to thermals over the runway just to climb back to altitude. Oh darn. As soon as I get a few more projects out of the way I plan to get some more progress done on the program. I know, I know, I've been saying that. I'm old and falling apart so things take me a while to get done. What can I say.