HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:48 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
If you started with a legal launch, then passed over point "A" (starting point), flew past point "B" (turn around point), ended by flying over "A" again without restarting your motor, landed without shedding parts of your plane, and someone witnessed these points, you made it. Where you flew in between those points isn't relevant. The sticky points are: If dad was at "B" did he see you pass "A", see your plane cross "B", come back in time to see you cross "A" again and land? Now if "A" was in front of the release zone or power down zone and "B" was 1K from that zone he would know simply by the fact you left the release zone that you passed it. With electric it's a bit trickier as it's hard to tell from 1K away if you shut down in time. The better solution would have been for dad to watch you launch then drive to "B" and let you know when you could turn around and then come back in time to see you pass "A" and land. However, give me a time to call you and discuss this further. Then I'll make the ruling. Yes, I do check up on peoples sheets and witnesses randomly or in cases such as this where it's a close call on a ruling. The funny part is. The only times so far that a re-do was needed the person suggested it before me wanting to make sure there was never a question as to the legitimacy of the task or detriment of the program. You guys make my job easy and the program's integrity and standards high.

As far as the ladder tasks go. Well I personally never thought they would be this difficult. I can make the time when I don't need them and can't seem to get them all when I do need them. I have even blown one by being 3 seconds short. It makes me a better pilot and I'm having fun so I get over it with a groan and a laugh. I will get there and it will be all the sweeter when I do.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:54 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Okay.. So I will rule against myself since my dad was at point B. As I know I didn't turn the motor on again after hitting the 200 meter(600 foot mark). Since I didn't have anyone to witness this I will Gladly do it again to make sure I follow all the rules. Plus this was a fun task for me to do. He was back at the field in plenty of time to see me land the plane.
Thanks again for setting up this program...
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
Great work and try again. Have not been able to fly recently ( either too busy or weather) but always like reading about others ssp progress.

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:19 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,259 Posts
Got a bit done with the Bronze program today. Got the thermal landings done and one of the thermal flights. Yes I am doing some of the thermal side just to get a bit of practice on non slope tasks.

Cory
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:27 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Hey guys,
I didn't get out to fly this weekend but I did get a couple of planes. I was given a 2 m duck(needs some tlc), I was given a original blaster that someone in the club won and never pit it together and I bought a supra.
Now I'm getting not the winch aspect of soaring. I have watched people use the winch and it scares me a little. I thought about getting a hi-start to launch my 2m until sat. Our club had a contest and one of the club members came out with his one winch http://gesswork.com/
This takes the place of a bungee or hi-start. I got to launch his plane and it was cake walk. All you do is walk backwards about 15 feet and your up really High. I will be being one of these to launch my planes until I'm not so scared from the winch.
Just thought this was a really cool idea and wanted to share

So how is everyone doing n there tasks ?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:18 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Winching is very easy. Don't be scared to use one.

My wife has unfortunately taken a turn for the worse so I have been spending most of my time at doctors and taking care of her. It's good to hear you guys are keeping the program alive. I'll be back at it as soon as life calms down a bit.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:11 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
Winching is very easy. Don't be scared to use one.

My wife has unfortunately taken a turn for the worse so I have been spending most of my time at doctors and taking care of her. It's good to hear you guys are keeping the program alive. I'll be back at it as soon as life calms down a bit.
My thought and prayers go to you and your wife. Hopefully things get better.
jwhitacre is online now Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:22 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Hey Steve, I hope your wife gets better soon. The weather her is absoultle messes up :P I put more hours of flying during the winter/spring time, it seems that his weekend will be a bit dry but nothing to make attemps :P

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:24 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,604 Posts
Hang in there Steve. You are taking care of the most important thing.
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
problem solved
Last edited by Steve Boone; Aug 29, 2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:02 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Okay how much is it per year to keep the site up? Maybe some of us members would be able to help ?
I'm very sorr your wife is sick. I hope she gets better. My thoughts and prayers to u and your family.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:53 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts & prayers everyone. They have figured out that they hit both her lungs and one of her kidneys with high doses of radiation accidentally during her breast cancer treatments. Things are not looking good. We still have more testing to see if they can even do anything to help her.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Aug 29, 2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: because it's no longer a problem
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:52 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Go Daddy sent me a discount code. I guess they figured they better bribe me at the last minute. Carylon was not happy when she found out I wasn't going to renew. She felt it was somehow her fault. She keeps up on how the program is doing and actually thinks it's cool. Women, who can figure them out? Anyways. I have decided to renew the web site after all. I'm going to cheat though and sell off my spare PZ Radian to do it. Then I'm going to put the remainder of the cash away to hopefully fund the site next year. That will keep the site up and the wife won't be feeling bad about it. I'm not telling her how I'm funding it though, just that I figured out a way to do it. I would rather see the program keep moving forward than have a plane I have no time to fly anyways.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:37 PM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Dear Steve

I keep on sending you good vibes, one of my aunts is going through similar problems.

Maybe opening a Paypal "donations" account might help to keep the program running, I think we can all contribute to cover the site expenses and maybe some of your time.

I wish you and your family all the best

regards

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Last edited by Edwinzea; Aug 30, 2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Typos like always
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:33 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
I agree open a paypal site...
Also how much do you want for the radian ? I have some club member that might be interested in