HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 05, 2011, 08:43 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
OK then I will use my Alula in a day with 0 wind :P problem solved , on

one other question, on the 30 mins slope flights is written (A1,A2, A3) but the only reference to those letters I found is about Acrobatics, should I make this maneuvers during my 30 min Flight??

I would be glad to help, if you send me what you already have I will make a draft proposal, I just do not know when it can eb finished I am quiet short of time right now, but it can be an interesting project for my 50min daily train trip to work

regards

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2011, 05:58 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Here's the relevant info from the SSP site:

Section 25 – Standard Aerobatics
Aerobatics are for the slope levels to keep them interesting. They will be noted as A1 and A2, etc. Unlike aerobatic routines the requirements have no order or flight pattern to be done in.

A1
INSIDE LOOP
OUTSIDE LOOP
HORIZONTAL ROLLS – LEFT/RIGHT
VERTICAL ROLLS – LEFT/RIGHT
INVERTED FLIGHT 3- MINUTES DURATION
KNIFE EDGE PASS 5 M IN LENGTH
STALL TURN LEFT / RIGHT

A2
SLOW HORIZONTAL ROLLS LEFT/ RIGHT 1 SECOND PER 90* OF ROTATION
SLOW VERTICAL ROLLS LEFT/ RIGHT 1 SECOND PER 90* OF ROTATION
HORIZONTAL 4 POINT ROLLS LEFT/RIGHT ROTATION STOPPING EVERY 90*
VERTICAL 4 POINT ROLLS LEFT/RIGHT ROTATION STOPPING EVERY 90*
SNAP ROLL – POSITIVE LEFT / RIGHT
SNAP ROLL – NEGATIVE LEFT / RIGHT

LINKED MANEUVERS
Linked maneuvers are the next step in the learning curve. Now that you have shown you can do the maneuvers, it’s time to start putting them together. Each of these “links” are to be done as listed. If a direction is listed for a maneuver you MUST go that direction during the maneuver. If none is listed, then it’s the pilot’s choice. Each set of linked maneuvers is to be done during a single pass. The passes can be done in any order. The “>” symbol is used to show the “link” . Using INSIDE LOOP > HORIZONTAL ROLL as an example. The inside loop is done first then the horizontal roll. This would complete the “pass”. Whether it’s the first pass or not is up to you. As long as all the passes in the task set are completed during the flight.

A3 – (7 passes)
INSIDE LOOP > HORIZONTAL ROLL
1/2 HORIZONTAL ROLL > OUTSIDE LOOP > 1/2 HORIZONTAL ROLL
HORIZONTAL 4 POINT ROLL (RIGHT) > POSITIVE SNAP ROLL (RIGHT)
HORIZONTAL 4 POINT ROLL (LEFT) > POSITIVE SNAP ROLL (LEFT)
HORIZONTAL SLOW ROLL (RIGHT) > HORIZONTAL SLOW ROLL (LEFT)
NEGATIVE SNAP ROLL (RIGHT) >HORIZONTAL ROLL (LEFT)
NEGATIVE SNAP ROLL (LEFT) > HORIZONTAL (RIGHT)

A4 - ( 9 passes )
1 1/2 HORIZONTAL ROLL >OUTSIDE LOOP > 1/2 HORIZONTAL ROLL
4 POINT ROLL > INSIDE LOOP > POSITIVE SNAP ROLL
STALL TURN > 1/2 ROLL ON DOWNLINE > INVERTED FLIGHT 10m > 1/2 ROLL
CUBAN 8 > LEVEL FLIGHT > SNAP ROLL
HUMPTY BUMP > LEVEL FLIGHT > FULL ROLL
GOLDFISH > 1/2 ROLL > INVERTED FLIGHT 5M > 1/2 ROLL
1/2 ROLL > FIGURE 9 > 1/2 ROLL
1/2 CUBAN 8 > SNAP ROLL > OPPOSITE SNAP ROLL
ROLL > HALF DIAMOND LOOP >10M INVERTED FLIGHT >1/2 ROLL
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old May 06, 2011, 02:30 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
sumarizing, I should make the acrobatics during the 30 min flight?

EZ
Old May 06, 2011, 06:07 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Yes. We didn't want you to get bored while flying for 30 minutes. The aerobatic A1 & A2 are to learn/practice individual maneuvers. The A3 & A4 aerobatics are to teach you to link 2 or more maneuvers together in preparation for the routines coming up in the Silver & advanced levels. In the routines you will be required to fly everything exactly as shown in the diagram.
Last edited by Steve Boone; May 06, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old May 06, 2011, 07:39 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
OK that bit will be most challenging but I have a plane underconstruction that might be the right one. But the biggest chanllenge is to start liking acrobatics :P has never been a big fan :P bit as they say live to learn

EZ
Old May 06, 2011, 08:34 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,597 Posts
Hey guys,
Have been gradually working through the Silver level.
Just have the 2 ladder flights and the 45 min Add-em-Up to go.
The program is enjoyable so far and the tasks do-able during practice
days, LSF days and at contests. I see up ahead some very difficult
stuff to overcome with the precision landings required but that precision
is exactly what I am lacking in my landing skills and the task sets will
require me to improve my game considerably.
That's what I like about it!
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2011, 07:08 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Glad you're still working the program Gordon. How did you like the 2K G&R? Landings seemed to be the one thing that sportsman and competition guys alike said that they needed to improve on. So we made a point of really stressing landing skills all through the program. To be honest, I'm anxious for you to start the advanced TD part of the program. I think you'll find that more challenging. Especially when you get to the higher level ladders and such where you can't miss rungs without starting over. Not to mention the multiple landing tasks for points. The contest style task sets should be right up your alley as well.

On a side note. The weather here still hasn't allowed for more than a hand launch with the Icon. I'm hoping maybe tomorrow will be decent. It's already May and we haven't had a decent day to go soaring yet up here.
Old May 07, 2011, 11:39 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
HEllo Everyone I got down to the bussiness with my bronze level I had only from 9.20am till 11.25am to fly so I made a small plan.

1st. 5 – 2 M SLOPE PRECISION LANDINGS - Done
2nd.5 – 2 M SLOPE DOWNWIND PRECISION LANDINGS and done

THe strategy was simple, with my trust worthy 1.2m DLg launch turn and burn flaps down and hand catach well most of the times :P I realized now that my aleirons are loosing too much control with flaps deployed :P so I had a coupple of nose dives :P

I had also planned to make the limbo passes, but I dind not have the equipment and the lift was very poor. So I thought WTH I will give it a try for the L1 Ladder , 5 minutes easy picecy, 10 minutes ok lets concentrATe here people, 15 minutes, it took me at least 5 tryouts till finall some thermic ativitty started on the usual places, 20 minutes 1 try out it was really good a coupple of thermics just keept on comming and the little plane was taking it so well.

I did no expect to make this flight but at the end I was so produd of my self, finished the ladder with a hand catch, with the alarm ring telling to pack and go for my Bus and everything within 2 hours

I really thank Steve all the time for this great idea, it really makes my trips to the slope productive, I have an objective and when I achieve it I come even happier than normal

EZ
Old May 07, 2011, 12:21 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
I really thank Steve all the time for this great idea, it really makes my trips to the slope productive, I have an objective and when I achieve it I come even happier than normal
I could not agree more. I have been working on the Copper level this late Winter/early Spring. Being new to sailplanes the SSP and Aejrs Foam Glider contests give me a lot of direction and purpose when I go out flying.

Focusing on achieving the specified Tasks is a goal each time I fly. Even though the weather here in Portland has been poor, I have been able to make progress. Got my 5 and 10 minute flights done, plus some Precision Landings.

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old May 07, 2011, 01:56 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
EZ: Please tell me you remembered to read the task requirements page. Your landings require a 2 minute flight from a hand launch before making the landing to count.
Old May 08, 2011, 03:28 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Duh!! It was the only task I did not read in detail I will do it again next week the big problem will be the 30 min with acrobatics :P I will need a good day in the slope :P we will see

EZ
Old May 13, 2011, 03:13 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Today a regular session, mainly laminar winds and coupple of thermiks but I managed the
5 – 2 M SLOPE PRECISION LANDINGS
5 – 2 M SLOPE DOWNWIND PRECISION LANDINGS

with the requiered 2 min flight this time

now I will have to wait for good winds again :P

EZ
Old May 13, 2011, 07:37 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Sweet. Keep up the good work.
Old May 20, 2011, 06:42 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
I finally got some flying in today. No witness so it was just a fun fly day. I decided to imitate Joe. I flew multiple planes so they wouldn't get jealous of each other. The Oly III and Icon finally had decent maidens. They both need some tweaking but they flew pretty well. Of course I'm a bit rusty & heavy handed after all this time off from flying. I even broke out the 120" Radian for a while after the winch was put away. The Icon took the honors today. I had to force it down a few times and at one point started to get a bit worried as it started to spec out with only my eyes to keep track of it. I'll be a woodie fan forever. I have to say though the Icon got my juices flowing. It needs a little mixing to smooth it out in the turns and some duel rates & expo to mellow out the controls. I see some tasks getting done in the near future.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:25 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
It needs a little mixing to smooth it out in the turns and some duel rates & expo to mellow out the controls. I see some tasks getting done in the near future.
I bet Cap'n Jack could give you a few tips about the Icon.
So now I know that you, Jack and Bob have been flying, I am missing out on the few good days but as of July 18 I am back to a 3:00 pm start time which means i can fly before I go to work again!!!
If Red Hen is availible I have to leave by 2, if I use the cracker jack box of a grass patch behind work I will have to be on the ground by 2:45!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler