New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 05, 2015, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by Tenderfoot
Joined Aug 2010
95 Posts
Progress Report

Hi,

I have been working on my Bronze ticket for quite some time. All the tasks are done except the 45 Minute and the 1.5 M landing. The 45 minute is no problem, the 1.5M landing --- not so much. Got a new Art Hobby Avatar and it seems to stop on a dime ----- hopefully I can get my bronze ticket with this one.

It is a great program and while anyone can fudge, it seems anyone interested would not consider that possibility.

P.S.

I have had three 45's with 2M landings so far.

Dave
Tenderfoot is online now Find More Posts by Tenderfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2015, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by Jambock
Legen -- wait for it -- Dary!
São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Joined Sep 2003
22 Posts
Hi,

Is the SSP Program open to another countries?

Roberto Besser
Jambock is offline Find More Posts by Jambock
Last edited by Jambock; Feb 22, 2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 06:11 AM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Yes. Last I knew we were in 7 different countries believe. Contact Joe (Thermaler) and he will get you set up.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Feb 21, 2015, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Jambock
Legen -- wait for it -- Dary!
São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Joined Sep 2003
22 Posts
Thanks!!!
Jambock is offline Find More Posts by Jambock
Old Feb 22, 2015, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambock View Post
Hi,

Is the SSP Program open to another countries?

Roberto Besser

Hi Roberto,
Check your PM for info on joining us.
You will have a lot of fun on this journey.

Joe
SSP VP
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Apr 16, 2015, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by chawkins
Always room for one more!
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Jul 2012
283 Posts
April 15th was nice enough for me here in Midland MI that I finally got a start on my tasks for SSP. Felt good to finally get started. Now for the rest of the sheet.........
chawkins is offline Find More Posts by chawkins
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:59 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins View Post
April 15th was nice enough for me here in Midland MI that I finally got a start on my tasks for SSP. Felt good to finally get started. Now for the rest of the sheet.........

Was that start with that really cool looking Macaw BOT of yours?

Joe
Old Apr 20, 2015, 07:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
283 Posts
Actually no....Me and Steve (my glider buddy) are getting the bugs worked out of a drill power, woodie friendly winch. First test run was with my Metrick, got lucky and hit a thermal at about 200 feet. Very exciting day !!!!
Old May 01, 2015, 08:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
283 Posts
Well...finally got a great flying day here in Michigan. Got the Bird of Time close to dialed in.
Had some winch issues but got one great flight in, the last one of the day. I was aiming for a 15 minute flight, hit 14:50. Total Bummer but at least it got me my 2nd 5 minute task complete! !!
Old May 02, 2015, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by donsinger1
aka KF7DS
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2009
843 Posts
Slow bu Sure Progress

Got my second 5 minute TD flight yesterday.....7:18 to be exact! What a hoot. A friend and I took our purple Great Planes Flings (not the DLG ones....the bungee ones that cost $70) to the local park. There was tons of lift. Temp was 70 degrees with up to 8-10 mph gusts as thermals moved through.

This was my third flight of the day. 135' launch/500' max altitude/7+ minutes total. I actually bailed out of the thermal as I was worried about getting the plane back upwind as I still did not have the planes capabilities dialed. The plane actually penetrated the winds fine (there was more wind aloft)

A small plane like that gets real small up 500'. These planes fly very well for what they are.

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old May 02, 2015, 10:23 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,424 Posts
Good work guys!
I have my batteries on the charger, I am going to get out tomorrow.
Hooked a buddy into doing some photography, little does he know he will be a witness too . . . ;>)

Joe
Old May 03, 2015, 07:55 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Way to go guys! I've been busy getting the house cleared out so we can sell it. I may try to get out today though.
Old May 09, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by planador
Joined Nov 2012
112 Posts
Can I get a witness?

I have been wanting to get started for awhile, but it has been hard to meet up with others on the slopes around Boise. Yesterday, I finally decided to just do the tasks without a witness. The point is to have fun and be challenged, right?. In the last two days I finished all but one 20 min slope flight for the bronze level. I was only 6 min short when the wind died. I had been sitting in a lawn chair, but jumped up and ran toward the edge as my plane sank below the lip...I didn't make the save, so before starting the hike to retrieve, I walked back to the chair to put my tx down and found a witness curled around the legs of the chair! I couldn't find a pen before he slithered off...
planador is offline Find More Posts by planador
Old Jun 19, 2015, 07:42 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
I've started to edit this thread. I'm clearing out the beginning of the thread to lose most of the stuff that involved the creation of the program. It's confusing to new guys as the program changed along the way in the beginning. So if you see the page count dropping that is why. This will take some time as I'm re-reading every post to make sure there's not something important in them.

Also, a reminder to direct all inquiries, forms and such to Thermaler. He has been running the show since my wife got sick a few years back. He should be commended for stepping up to keep the program going.

I was just asked if I was still participating in the program. I'm still participating. However, this year I haven't even flown. We're in the process of selling our house and the weather has been terrible. It's rained 6 days a week for the last 2 months pretty much. I have been selling a bunch of RC gear off. I plan to keep a few things but most of my collection is on the way out.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,976 Posts
Thanks for the explanations Steve! I was so hoping to be involved a longg time ago- then 'life' intrudes!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly