SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 25, 2014, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Anyone else making progress?

I went back out today and did my last 10 min. task and my 30 min. Add 'Em Up. I still need 1 landing to finish those. My witness needed a break from the heat. I fired up the grill and made her dinner for helping me. I'm going to try to get the last landing later today so those will be done. Still used the Radian as it was a great day for it.

Then I just need my 1K G&R, 45 min. flight and the ladder task. Man I wish we were still flying at Red Hen. It would make those so much easier. On the plus side, the neighbor is building another silo so I have one more thermal generator next to the field.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2014, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Aussie John
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
Hi Steve

Thankyou for clearing up my questions.

John Quigley
Aussie John is offline Find More Posts by Aussie John
Old Jun 08, 2014, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,383 Posts
Our newest aspirant is RV Winkle.
Your form is on the way.
I have been up to me ears in work and have very little time in the air this year but that is about to change.
How about the rest of you guys, how are you doing?

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jun 09, 2014, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by RV Winkle
Sailaire brethren
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2013
322 Posts
Great thanks!
RV Winkle is online now Find More Posts by RV Winkle
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:19 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
I need to rant a bit guys. Bear with me.

The Radian is killing me. I just can't see it at altitude well enough to do the G&R and 45 min. flight. The ladder I could get given enough time and the right day. Using it has been sucking the fun out of the program for me though. I'm just banging my head against the wall trying to use the Radian for the whole level. Especially when I have a bunch of really nice planes sitting on the shelf that could help get the job done. I've been like a dog with a bone long enough with this.

Quite frankly, I bought my Ava because I could see it better and deal with the winds we get here. 5 years later my eyes aren't getting any better (thanks old age) and I'm not getting any younger. I have an Icon which never gets flight time since we don't fly at the turf farm any more. I just don't bother to set up the winch & retriever at home. I've really fallen in love with the convenience of electric launch planes. Even the 140" OLY III I built has never been seriously maidened. I just haven't been able to bring myself to electrify it. I probably should sell it so it gets flown like it should. But I digress.

I'm turning over a new leaf, starting fresh, bailing like a man with a hole in his boat and a thimble. Starting today I have a new strategy. In the words of Larry the cable guy, it's time to "GIT 'ER DONE!". The Ava has been checked over and it's batteries are charged. It's time for the Radian to step aside for the last 3 tasks. I'll fly it on days when I just want to get in a quick flight but that's it for now.

I don't live in a warm climate with a nice soaring field that has abundant lift. I know we made the program with the intent it would require some effort. I have no problem with that. I also realize that I haven't been soaring for long. However, I'm done handicapping myself by trying to do this with a Radian when conditions and location call for something better suited to the task at hand.

Also, I think it's time to sell off the Hanger Queens, unfinished projects & kits. Not to mention all the other r/c stuff that is just sitting. (helicopters, trucks and planes) The Icon, Proton, Super Gryphon kit, winch & retriever and maybe even the OLY III. I've been involved in r/c for close to 35 yrs and tried about every type. I like soaring best then power planes for the days when there's just no lift to be had. The rest I've gotten bored with. Not to mention trying to 3D a helicopter with arthritic hands just doesn't work. I'm finding I prefer 3 meter easy to see floater to mid speed soaring to fast and tough to see high end gliders that cross-hair. I have a ton of hawks and buzzards here and really enjoy floating around with them. Electrics over winch launch. Mostly due to convenience. If we had a soaring field I would go back to winching in a heart beat. As I fly alone most of the time from my 600' field electric wins for now.

Wow. As I re-read this post I realized it went from a rant to a bit of an epiphany. I guess it pays to spell things out once in a while. Thanks for reading and as always feel free to comment on anything I said. The weather for today is mostly sunny & pleasantly warm, 79*, winds S 6-12mph. That puts the lift generated at the farm next door over the field. I'm retired, have my projects & lawn care caught up and no running to do. I guess it's time to get the Ava put together and see if I can remember how to fly it.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by corsha99
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,491 Posts
You need to try DLG. It is a whole new level of frustration and addiction for you!! Can even mini-bungee launch if you want to.
Cory
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jul 16, 2014, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by Edwinzea
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,911 Posts
^^^^
Agree on that

I had been fiddling with the idea of a DLG section for the program

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:04 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
I used to do DLGs. My shoulder just doesn't like it any more. I even launched them from a mini winch made from a starter for nitro motors. The best looks though came from when I would launch my Skeeter HL from a full size winch.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 04:04 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
I DID IT!!!

It was a nice calm day but the lift didn't look too good. So I decided to take the Radian out just to check and see if it was worth setting up the Ava. I made the 4 minute rung and wasn't impressed. So I was sitting talking with the wife and decided to give it a try 20 minutes later. I made the 8 minute rung. I was in decent lift but as I came in to land a cold breeze set in and things all started going down. So I decided to charge my battery and sand bag a bit.

Hung out on the swing with the wife and watched the cycles change for probably 30 minutes when all of the sudden you could see the thermal activity setting back up. So I threw in the other battery and went back up. Now the thermals were kicking pretty good but only in one area. No big deal. Steve's rule #1: If you're in good lift, stay in it. Only leave good lift if it's absolutely necessary. I was close to speck out height the whole time. At 10.5 minutes I started bringing her down. I put it in the landing zone to make the 12 minute rung. Since I left great lift I wasted no time getting back in the air.

Then it all went south. Just as I topped my launch the Ag Wagon came screaming in over the woods and across the flying field. Not good! As he's scoping out his pattern over the field next to me, I'm trying to pick a time to get the h*** out of the air and his way. Every thing ended well and for the next 30 minutes or so he put an end to my flying.

By now it's after 3 and the weather is changing for the worse. I've been defeated to many times to give in now. I seriously thought about grabbing the Ava to better my odds. However, after coming this far I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Quite frankly I figured I would be lucky to get a 10 minute flight the way things looked. I went for it anyways. The first flight gave me a 5 and the next an 8. Well things were looking up. So I went at it again. Sure enough I found it and went back up to speck out height. I kept it there too until the time was down to less than 1 minute to go. I wasn't taking any chances! I finished out and stuck the landing for the win. Finally the elusive ladder is over. Not to mention I did it with the Radian. Now I'm not even trying the G&R or 45 minute tasks with the Radian. The Ava is doing those.

Maybe I can get Bronze done this year. We've still got good days ahead of us before the season ends.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by 2motheus
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
580 Posts
Soaring, airshow, sitting on the swing with your wife - sounds like a great day!

Good work!

Tim

http://onewinch.com
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:14 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
SSP, bring married couples closer.

I tried to fly the Ava today but it tried to kill itself. Finally tracked the problem down to a bad TX battery connector that was causing an intermittent short. Luckily no damage to the radio. The Ava suffered a slight break in the rudder when the radio reset to different model on 2.4 when the Ava is on 72. Not good. Fortunately I was almost on the ground so the damage was super light. Now that I have a new connector on the battery it's fine. I went over the whole airframe and will be ready to have at it again tomorrow.

I'm going to need some landing practice to get used to the Ava again. I forgot how long the glide is on that thing. I also need to tune my flap >ele mix. I must say after flying the Radian for so long I forgot just how sweet the Ava really is. Having flaps again is reeealy nice as well. I can't wait to log some flight time on it again.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:08 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
The thread has been dead for a while now. I know we've added several new guys in Michigan. Any of you making progress? I'm hoping to get back out this weekend, weather permitting.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,923 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say I haven't started any work yet on my 2nd level.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 23, 2014, 05:51 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
It's been almost a month and not a single post in here. Isn't anyone getting some flying in? Our local weather is supposed to be looking good for a few days so I'm going to try for the 45 min. flight.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,760 Posts
Hi Steve,

I completed one of my 30 minute slope flights this past weekend. I had witnesses and my schedule and the weather cooperated for once. I am going to try for the 15 minute TD flight yet this year. I might actually finish the copper this year.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence