HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:44 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
The biggest reason I don't fly the Falcon 880 is probably the color. If it were red & yellow it would probably fly better.
The ladder flights are killing me the most. They're definately more of a challenge than they first appear to be. I've also thought about trying the G&R with the 120" Radian just to do it with a foamie. I've got to dig out my paperwork and see what I have left to do. When I start the Silver level I'm doing the hardest stuff first. There will definately be soaring days here at my place this year. Complete with BBQ and of course pool flying will be allowed.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:55 AM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
I just found this thread. I'm also part of the sportsman working on my bronze level. I have a few more tasks to do.

Thanks
Brian walker
#69 .
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:02 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,899 Posts
Hey Steve

first of all let me congratulate you for this super idea and also thank you for sharing, the SSP is really what I was looking for. I am not officially registered because normally I fly alone and is very anoying to get the withnesses :P but anyway I take SSP like a challenge for my self, so I would need to eb very stupid to try cheat my self

I started with the program last weekend and already have the 10m slope flights more to come next week if the weather stays this good

regards

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:51 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Brian: Did you mean Copper?

EZ: You should join. There's lots of flights that get flown that can't be used for one reason or another. Some times with me it's just because I just want to fly around an not think about doing tasks. The ones you can add up faster than you think. However, even if you don't join, it's good to hear you're having fun with the program.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:41 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Yes I meant copper. I was trying to remember was was first and I blew it.. Hahaha.. I'm hoping by spring I will be done and on to next level.

This is a very neat thing to do. Thank you again for starting this up
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Last edited by Krazykayak75; Jan 10, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:14 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,899 Posts
Thanks Steve

well I am just not officially registered but I am making the program with discipline, I do it to challenge my self so really do not need a witness. I was finding lately that my slope flights were just fooling around and somehow I was loosing the taste for it, but now I have an objective a challenge.

I will present the program to the members of my club in our monthly meeting maybe more guys will get interested, I will need someone to help checking the laps and to have fun with the limbo still I am not too sure about the acrobatics part, I am not a big fan but well is never to late to learn to fly inverted isn't it??

EZ

PS: I was trying to register online and I got this message : Failed to send your message. Please try later or contact administrator by other way.
Last edited by Edwinzea; Jan 11, 2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:36 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
EZ: It happens on occasion. Just e-mail me your info and I'll take care of it. Don't forget to let me know what info can be shared with others. Just send it to: info@sportsmanssoaringprogram.com I never had a desire to fly aerobatics either. Then a friend talked me into flying IMAC routines when he was training. It was really fun and quite addictive. I don't compete but every year I learn the new routine just to build my skills as a pilot.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jan 11, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:46 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,899 Posts
THanks Steve, now I have in project to build a 3m ship for the slope duration flights a foam bubble dancer with flaps , and I am working on a foalmy wingeron with rudder for the acrobatics and limbos I made an excel sheet to keep track of the tasks I had acvieved, date and plane I hope I will have the copper level before the summer ;D with this weather I might do it

Regards

EZ
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:16 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
The blizzard is over. Two hours with a tractor with a loader to dig though the 6' drifts. All I can say is I'm ready for spring and some soaring. I spent some time while buried cycling batteries and making sure everything is ready for the upcoming season. Next I need to dig out my paperwork and see exactly what I have to do to finish off my next level. Spring is a long time coming and I'm tired of being cold.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:15 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
You all in the Midwest have taken a beating!

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:05 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
More frigid weather coming this week. The following week looks to start warming up. If that forecast holds I'll be doing a bit of soaring. I've decided to start planning for the XC and G&R tasks. I have nothing against ARF planes. I just don't feel connected to them like I do something I built though. So I parted with some hard earned cash. I ordered a Merlyn with a S3014 airfoil from Sky Bench. The wing is at max allowable size already so no mods in size on this one. However, that doesn't mean there aren't any mods I can make. Like the kids would say,"That's how we woodie builders roll." No details yet. I haven't got the plans, so I don't want to get the cart before the horse. If any of you need covering you better order now. With 2100 sq in of wing this puppy is going to cause a shortage. The current plan is to do the 1k with the 120" Radian. The 2K I want to at least try with the Oly III. The rest will be with the Merlyn.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 09:15 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,899 Posts
I was out today trying the 30 min slope flight and it is more challenging that I expected :P there was wind in the slop but not so much lift, I got a maximun 10 mim flight :P maybe other day with better luck

EZ
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:36 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I'm just chompin' at the bit. The weather should start to improve any day now. The weapons of choice are getting their final honing. The Icon is ready for it's maiden. The Falcon 880 is almost done with it's make over. Batteries have been cycled and life has been mellowing out a bit. I'm hoping to make up for lost ground from last year. My goal is to finish Bronze and at least get a good start on Silver this year. Let's hope for a great soaring season this year. If the weather isn't too bad I may even try to get to the nats this year for a day or two.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:04 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I guess I get a free decal. I found an error in the task requirements for the Add Em' Up task. It has now been corrected. See the SSP web site for details. Sorry for the over sight. I'm far from perfect.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:57 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,899 Posts
Good News, first 20 min slope flight achieved, it was a whole experience, I went to my local slope with very low expectations. The wind was very low but it was sunny so I got many thermals and bubbles to jump from one to the other, I was also luck because a club member came for the flight too, we werre both using our DLGs, after the 20 minutes there were still good conditions, so I tried to reach the 30 minutes but I was acutally tired and a strong sink took me down.

I Am just finishing my weapon of choice for this season, a 3m bubble dancer with foam wings I hope I will have the copper level by the end of the summer

regards

EZ

PS. Steve I send you an email with my application