HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:34 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
Steve:

Our family's thoughts are with you. I have been in remission from Bladder cancer for 5 years - and, from my perspective, when I was not well, things seemed tougher on those around me than for myself. I am amazed that you have had time to pay attention to your outside interests, but can also understand why - outside interests are important. Everything is important.

Take Care,
Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:26 PM
USA, MI, Byron Center
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
Steve,

Thank you for sharing with us. I am a year and a half into treatments for my cancer (multiple myeloma). After last year's chemo, I geared up to build my first RC glider. Then I found out that balsa dust is absolutely incompatible with the (then upcoming) bone marrow transplant. Transplants are really hard on the lungs and, indeed, I've had my share of lung complications since. I still have the same medical restrictions on activities, but I am confident that I will start building, eventually. Flying is the next goal, but that is complicated by my photosensitivity from medications. So, it's one hurdle at a time.

Dave Z.
zerfasd is offline Find More Posts by zerfasd
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:46 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Signed up another 3 aspirants today. We're now at 80 and growing. Welcome everyone. I hope you all have a good time with the program. Happy Holidays!
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Dec 23, 2010, 08:31 PM
Builder of flying things
United States, TX, Blackwell
Joined Dec 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
Signed up another 3 aspirants today. We're now at 80 and growing. Welcome everyone. I hope you all have a good time with the program. Happy Holidays!
I think I was one of those 3. Just coming back into this hobby after a long layoff. Last TD comp was in '77.

Just recieved my new Hitec Optic 6 this evening. Wow, a far cry from the last radio I flew....

Looking forward to getting my scratch built 2 meter in the air with this new radio and working on the copper tasks.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Jim
fyrechaser is offline Find More Posts by fyrechaser
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Electric Flight
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:55 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
Copper is also on my list for 2011
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:49 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,219 Posts
I will be focusing on the bronze level, again. Got busy with work, was doing a lot of DLG comps, lost the form, found the form, lost the form......

Hope everyone has a great new year.
Cory
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:31 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
I got the best Christmas present ever this year. My wife has beaten the breast cancer and her lukemia is in full remission. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers guys. Now I can get back to work on the program. I'll be doing my best to knock out bronze this year.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:38 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,097 Posts
THAT'S GREAT!!!
You and I both on the Bronze and then some!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:28 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
CONGRATS Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:30 AM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,075 Posts
Great news Steve!
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:43 PM
USA, MI, Byron Center
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
Good news Steve!

Dave Z.
zerfasd is offline Find More Posts by zerfasd
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:40 PM
Builder of flying things
United States, TX, Blackwell
Joined Dec 2010
148 Posts
Wonderful news! So Glad to hear it! My wife's sister had breast cancer and beat it.....then lukemia, and has just returned from MD Anderson in Houston in remission. Yes, it has been a very good Christmas!

Jim
fyrechaser is offline Find More Posts by fyrechaser
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Electric Flight
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:27 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Great news Jim! It's hard to describe the amount of weight that lifts off of a person when you get this kind of news. I'm like a new man. Not to mention back to my old weird self.
This is the first year in a long time that I didn't build a plane over the winter. My shop has been in total disarray most of the season. I do wood working as well as planes and have had several projects clogging the pipeline do to the lack of an area to apply finishes. With the new addition I have been able to rectify this. Now the shop is about half re-organized. Moving all of the machines, shelves, lumber, kits and planes. I have cleaned every surface as I went along. I'm adding a second large workbench (42x96) to help with the congestion. Now I won't have to choose between the two hobbies. I can do builds of both at the same time. I'm hoping to find time to build the 2M Osprey before this season. However, since I don't exactly have a lack of planes to fly I may hold off until next build season. There are no summer builds planned this year. I'm going to use my time to work on the program. I planning to use the OLY III to do the G&R. It's also time to stop coddling the Falcon 880 Joe gave me and fly it way more. It was such a nice gift I'm always afraid something may happen to it. It's time to get over that and start putting it through it's paces. They're fine flying models and it could really give me a boost in progressing in the program.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jan 07, 2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:18 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,595 Posts
Great news mate. It's a blessing to have your health and your wifes health. Keep up the good work.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:31 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
It was such a nice gift I'm always afraid something may happen to it.
Other than collecting dust the 880 has nothing to worry about in your hands! (>;
The Osprey is a quick build by the way. I am working on a third scratch built one!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler