Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 10:39 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss
Steve,
Z-Log does has an altitude specific device with logger available now, look at www.kennedycomposites.com

Marc
Didn't Jack Iafret and a few other guys demo this (motor cut off at specific altitude) at the NATs last year?

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2009, 05:47 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,522 Posts
I did not see it either Steve, but they are avaiable and yes, Jack did demo it. It is so sensitive that Jack zero'd it at home and then it would not start the ship at Muncie because it had climbed the designated amount. To me, this is how electric needs to work and could be done so easily.

Marc

e-mail Barry and he can fill you in.
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:02 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
I can't seem to find that feature. I see nothing in the instructions for mod 3 or 4 that say it will shut down your motor at a specified altitude. Please point me to it so I can check it out. Thanks.
There is nothing in the online instructions, but the f5j version has additional instructions included with it. I use one of these all the time and it works very well.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Apr 09, 2009, 08:26 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo125

In fact, with some test winch/hi-start launches, one would be helpful for us to determine our standard launch height for electric sailplanes.

What do you guys think?
I have a cutoff altimeter and it works great. I have this unit:

http://www.magtechinc.net/RCAltimeter.htm

I'm looking forward to some day flying a contest with these units.

I would suggest though to keep in mind that for most folks selling RC stuff that is kind of a hobby for them. I'm sure that zlog and Magtech are in it for the long time. But sometimes stuff does go out of production. It would be a shame to build a program like SSP around a type of equipment that might some day be hard to get or completely unavailable in some countries.

This is a self driven program. If somebody wants to climb to 2,000 feet and then make a 60 minute flight they are still working thermals.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Apr 09, 2009, 08:16 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
Ok guys. Nobody requested any changes and the deadline has come and gone. Copper level is locked until the end of the year. Good luck and keep us up on how you're doing. Have fun!!! -Steve-
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:30 AM
Glider guider
United States, FL, Sun City Center
Joined Oct 2005
359 Posts
Good morning Ryan:
I agree with you. I also wouldn't care to see our program requiring the use of these units. I definitely would not like to see them as a requirement for e-launchers in this program. That was definitely not my intent. I mentioned them only as something that an interested individual could use for his own enlightenment. I'd have a tough time justifying a $40 altimeter for play with on my retiree's budget. A $100+ logging or cut-off unit is completely out of the question. I suspect that I'm not alone in that boat.

Well, yes, I did suggest that we could use one to learn what the average winch/hi-start launch height is and use that as a baseline for electric launching in our program. That was merely an attempt to appease those who somehow still feel that those of us who sometimes launch electrically are cheaters.

I honestly don't care if someone cheats in this program. I'm sure that some will, regardless of which method they use to launch. As someone said earlier, "Cheaters will always cheat".

Now, Spring has arrived, and I still have to finish those BD wings. What? Yes dear, AFTER the yard work......................

Thom
Speedo125 is offline Find More Posts by Speedo125
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:21 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
Steve,
Looks like a fun program. I haven't read through the entire thread besides the introduction, but thought I would point out a fun club program that club member (Bob J.) assembled a few years back. For whatever it's worth for ideas, here it is:

Go here: http://flyvam.com
Click on "Downloads" in sidebar
Download: VAM Soaring Achievement Program - Rules
and: VAM Soaring Achievement Program - Scoresheet

Sorry for not providing a direct link. I'm in the midst of redoing our website.

Scott
Valley Aero Modelers
Appleton, WI
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:43 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,492 Posts
I'm curious as to how many of the advocates for including altitude-limited e-soarers in this program have given much thought into the compatibility of its landing requirements with e-planes.

I fly both regular gliders and e-gliders. In TD flying, I have pretty well gotten away from the full-on dork landings that you see from place to place. And none of the landing requirements that have been discussed are unreasonable for TD type planes. But I am skeptical that very many people have a lot of interest in landing electric planes on the same size targets. Misjudging the intensity of an e-Plane landing can certainly be more costly than blowing the skeg off of a TD plane.

My gut feel is that everyone's interests might be better suited by having a separate achievement program for e-Soarers.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:53 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
Thanks Scott, I'll check it out. It might take me a couple of days as this weekend is packed with family, race track work and saving the planet kind of stuff.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********
I would like to play "devil's advocate" for a second. I hear a lot about the cost of a logging or shut down device. I agree that money is hard to come by. I personally live on a small disability check. However, remember that the pure soaring guys are forking out a lot more to build a winch. The one I just built ended up at around $600, so the cost of the altimeter stuff is cheap by those standards. That being said, consider the used market. After I bought my Z-Log for full price I saw 2-3 go for $40-50 within a week after getting it. Another idea would be to buy a unit with a friend and share it. (not the best solution, but cheaper) I haven't heard back about the cost on the Z-Log units that shut off you motor. I want you all to know I am working diligently to come up with a solution.
************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
Thermaler sent this to our soaring group and it was so funny I wanted to share it. Thanks Joe for making me spit coffee all over the keyboard.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Apr 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:22 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharban
My gut feel is that everyone's interests might be better suited by having a separate achievement program for e-Soarers.

Happy Landings,

Don
I fly both an e-powered glider and a traditional glider and I do not land either of them in the tent peg fashion. If I ever did do that to my Riser it would explode. I will do all of the landing tasks the old fashioned way, nice smooth belly landings, regardless of which plane I am using at the time.

This will undoubtedly require me to retry many of the tasks, but that will only make me a better pilot. I have not come across any sport pilots who tent peg their landings. This is not to say that they are not out there. Even in the two fun fly contests I attended last year, nobody did any landings other than smooth belly landings and they were landing for points. Most of the experienced pilots at the MRCSS club can do <1 meter landings without tent pegging them.

There are many, many gliders out there that would not withstand a tent peg landing. I am going to guess that many of the people starting this program do not have F3J competitive planes. All the pilots flying Paragons, Risers, Olys, the list goes on and on, most likely will be landing their planes the same fashion which I will be landing my Pulsar. Smooth belly sliding landing. Being able to do a tent peg landing will exclude more than just e-powered gliders. This should have no bearing on allowing e-powered gliders to participate.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:23 AM
Glider guider
United States, FL, Sun City Center
Joined Oct 2005
359 Posts
You make a good point Don. There's no way I'm gonna make a lawn dart out of my e-sailplane. I had been figuring that the landing would just be that much more of a challenge, sliding them into the spot.
Thom
Speedo125 is offline Find More Posts by Speedo125
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:44 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Your welcome Steve, got your keyboard cleaned up yet.
To see that here has my gut hurting from laughing so hard for the second time today.
I got that from my sister and did the same with my Code Red, my keyboard is clean again.
Happy Easter everybody.

Joe
Old Apr 10, 2009, 03:55 PM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
426 Posts
Gonna start on the copper level this weekend, now all i got to do is get me a witness rounded up, everyone have a great easter weekend

Steve
sjgoulet is online now Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:32 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Go figure after what has been done here:

Joe

Quote:
In response to requests to develop a soaring accomplishment program (SAP)
for soaring pilots that do not wish to include competition in the program,
the LSF Board has developed a plan/program variation to address these needs.
The details of the program may be found very soon on the LSF website
http://silentflight.org.

The board has also developed a plan to include electric-assist launch as a
valid method to launch a sailplane for the purposes of accomplishing tasks
included in the SAP.

As required by the LSF bylaws, any change to the SAP must follow a process
that is outlined in the bylaws.

To that end the board will:

1.. Post the LSF Board proposal for a modified SAP on the LSF website
2.. Post the LSF Board proposal for electric-assist launch on the LSF
website
3.. Request comments and/or alternate proposals by LSF members for a
period of 30 days after the LSF Board proposals are posted on the web site.
4.. Evaluate comments and counter proposals for a period of 14 days
following the close of the 30 day comment period.
5.. Determine the final proposed changes to the SAP.
6.. Submit the final proposals to a vote by the LSF 4 and 5 members (per
the bylaws), requiring a simple majority to pass
7.. The result of the vote will be communicated to the membership at large
and (if passed) the proposal(s) will be incorporated into the bylaws.

On behalf of the LSF Board,

Jim Deck LSF Secretary
Last edited by Thermaler; Apr 10, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
Thanks to Windependence the Copper form is now in a PDF format as well. Thank you Wayne.
************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
Your fearless leader worked 12 hours today on a off-road track. My fingers are so raw I can only type with two of them. It's getting close to done. I'm hoping to do some soaring Sunday if I can still move.
I can't wait to see what the LSF proposes for their program. They have been kind enough to offer me the use of some of their stuff for use in our program. Things like the description of a landing, distance for setting up winches, etc. I thought it was very nice of them to help us out and at the same time it allows for those of us doing both programs to have an easier time of it. I'm going to bed now. I'm one whipped pup! Have a safe holiday everyone.