This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
See what I mean guys. LMAO

Please tell me you had some way to measure the landing distance so you could count that flight. At 1.5 M if you were close to the mark, it should have been easy enough to measure. I would hate to see you not be able to count it for lack of the landing distance.
Nope! Had to put in as one of the two 45's without landing.
We really did put some work into this program. A lot of stick time to get to where you want to go. No easy ride here to the top!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,511 Posts
Um, you have e-mail, Joe.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:12 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
Um, you have e-mail, Joe.

Steve,

Bummer! I have an old version of the Bronze. Scratch one 45 minute flight, staple old form to the back of a new one!

Joe
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:40 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,511 Posts
Joe: Back in the beginning I printed out all of the level sheets for myself. When we made the final changes I forgot to throw them out. I did the same thing. Luckily I caught it and didn't do much over.

As a side note: Don't worry guys. This can only happen to a few of us that started when the program was still being built. If you want to make sure just check your sheet against the web site. We were actually trying out the program tasks knowing we could have to start over. Steve G. got hit the worst. We took it all in stride because by doing this we could see how well the program design was working. In fact, it is what helped us to decide to make the split in the program with 3 basic levels & 3 advanced levels. IMHO, I think we got it right in the end. We came out with a stronger, harder and more flight intensive program that will challenge everyone no matter their experience level.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,029 Posts
Had a 16min flight earlier in the field across the street from my house but no witness Need to get a gps logger or something along those lines. Any cheap suggestions?
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by tkallev
LSF303-AMA Fellow
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,618 Posts
Recording Altimiter for Models (RAM3) from Soaring Circuits ... under $80. Not GPS but it's about the size of your thumbnail and can run of any port that supplies power, including the BIND/DATA ports on JR/Spektrum receivers.

http://www.soaringcircuits.com/

I use mine all the time, helps analyze launch technique, thermaling, duration, altitude.

P.S. Get your CAM at the same time for ALES ...
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,029 Posts
Thanks bookmarked. Nice and small too cant wait to get one and try it out.
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:55 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,616 Posts
So I get that 45 minute flight WITH the landing flying the trusty Falcon and not a soul in site except the turkey vulture over head.

You? To steal some one else's line.

Joe
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:09 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,511 Posts
Personally, I'm P****d! Life has been getting in the way so much I haven't even made it out to maiden the "E" Falcon. It was a perfect year for soaring and life got in the way. It's not over 'til it's over though. On the plus side, I have the house almost finished and that should leave me project free from now on.
Old Oct 09, 2013, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by canyon
Joined Feb 2009
355 Posts
I found no place to join or sign up on the site Steve, what is required to do so? Does a witness to completed tasks have to be a member or glider pilot? I'm interested in your program as I'm a sport pilot and beginner.
canyon is offline Find More Posts by canyon
Old Oct 09, 2013, 03:11 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,616 Posts
Hey Canyon,

Any wintess of sound mind ( not nessiceraly another glider pilot or member ) over 18 counts.

More info can be found at:

http://sportsmanssoaringprogram.com/

or

http://sportsmanssoaringprogram.com/?page_id=33

Mail you form request:

Sportsmans Soaring Program
c/o Joe Hayes
808 West Front Street #39
Buchanan, Mi. 49107

Joe

SSP VP
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:06 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,511 Posts
Canyon, where are you located?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Feb 2009
355 Posts
new to this site

I clicked on the web address shown, and got the site, but there is no place to join or sign up. How does one get involved in the group? I'd love to work on the tasks and see how far I can go, the challenges sound like lots of fun if I could get started. Another question is who is able to be a witness? My wife would be the only one where I am in New Mexico and could she be the witness and timer on different tasks?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 05:22 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,511 Posts
You can sign up on the application page on the site. You may also contact Joe if you have any issues with application form not working. (some have issues due to their browser settings) He will then issue a aspirant number and send you your Copper form to get you started.

Your wife can witness for you, no problem there. Information on witnesses, launch methods, individual task requirements, etc. can be found on the task requirements pages. Of course if you have any other questions or need clarification on anything you can find us here or by e-mail as well.

I hope this helps.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Feb 2009
355 Posts
SSP questions

Thanks Joe, I appreciate an answer to my questions and help. The first site you posted I'd already visited and that's why I had questions. The lower site is what I needed for rules and such. Thank you. Now to get started on my first tasks.