HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:08 PM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
255 Posts
Steve, ive been doing a lot of flying just no witnesses around when i need the DOH. All i need to do to finish up the Bronze lvl is the 1K G&R and the L1 add em up and then it will be done i think. Everyone have a great day

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 12:11 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,052 Posts
I didn't get as much done last weekend as I hoped to. Have about half of the bronze level left to do.
Cory
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:32 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
We have another member. MalotiFlyer just finished his Copper Level. He is now member #14. It's good to see our ranks growing.
Steve Boone is online now Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:26 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,550 Posts
Nice thermal day in florida today with little wind. Did my 45 minute flight for bronze with the Xplorer. All I have left to complete Bronze is the 1km G & R.
Now that I have been working my way through a level and reviewing the rules as I go I have some questions - again.
Getting ready for the nats I have practised landings with the Xplorer 2 and 3 times a week now for a month with literally hundreds done. Sometimes doing 30 a day. Using a 3 foot circle as a target with a 12 inch circle for the bullseye. Based on my practice and measured results the later levels requiring timed flights with many consecutive landings within 9 inches are going to be way beyond my skill set.
Please clarify the requirements under Sect 16 copied below. It does not say that the task has to be repeated from the beginning for a missed landing??? Just for a missed time??

Section 16 Ladder Flight (L4)
Make the required flight times consecutively and land within 1/4 M (9.8 inches) of a predetermined marked spot all on the same day. Miss a time and you must start back at the beginning and repeat the ladder. If the landing is missed.

Also the timed flight rules allow for + or - so many seconds. It really should be +5 secs but - 0 secs. Otherwise you didn't actually get the time - you would be allowing timed flights that were actually short of the target time? Is that the intention?
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:58 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussief3b View Post
Getting ready for the nats I have practised landings with the Xplorer 2 and 3 times a week now for a month with literally hundreds done. Sometimes doing 30 a day. Using a 3 foot circle as a target with a 12 inch circle for the bullseye. Based on my practice and measured results the later levels requiring timed flights with many consecutive landings within 9 inches are going to be way beyond my skill set.
Please clarify the requirements under Sect 16 copied below. It does not say that the task has to be repeated from the beginning for a missed landing??? Just for a missed time??
The timed flight rules allow for + or - so many seconds. It really should be +5 secs but - 0 secs. Otherwise you didn't actually get the time - you would be allowing timed flights that were actually short of the target time? Is that the intention?

Section 16 Ladder Flight (L4)
Make the required flight times consecutively and land within 1/4 M (9.8 inches) of a predetermined marked spot all on the same day. Miss a time and you must start back at the beginning and repeat the ladder. If the landing is missed?
Gordon
No problem, this is how we know what needs fixing and clarifying. First off, remember this is a "Sportsman's" program. As such not all things will make sense as compared to competition. Well, maybe not at first. When we started creating the program we wanted to keep it relevent to competition for those who may wish to get into competition at some point. However not necessarily about competition but more about learning skill sets. It also works quite well as a training tool for those who do compete. We also strived to keep it within the LSF rules to make tasks usable in both programs at the same time for those of us that do both programs. We based the tasks with a primary skill to learn and in some cases a secondary one to make things more challenging. We didn't want a watered down program, it had to be challenging at the least and demanding at it's pinacle. Sometimes however the intended skill being taught isn't what it appears at first glance. More confused now right?
When I talked to Joe and a lot of others who compete I found that making the time doesn't mean much if you can't stick the landing. I also found that most said that if there was one skill they could build on to do better it would be landing consistancy. I took a poll to find the landing numbers that we used to build the program. The higher levels were based on LSF IV and V guys and others I have met that can consistantly put a plane on a spot.
The timed flights are more about learning to set up a landing than making a time. That's why it's +/- instead of just + . Ladder flights are primarily about hitting a time. The secondary is the landing. So to answer your question. No, you don't have to start over if you miss the landing. You just have to repeat the time you're on until you hit both the time and landing. If you miss the time "x" number of times (when applicable) you have to start back at the beginning. For me this made it a bit more fun. (You made the landing and missed the time. Now that could really cost you. You made your time but missed the landing. Whew that was close, saved by the skin on your teeth. Try again.) Once again, it puts a lot of importance on landing skills.
I hope this helps.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:41 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,550 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Steve,
Thats some relief.
How do I print the Silver Level Form?
Their doesn't seem to be a link on the website for the actual forms for printing.
The Print buttom at the bottom for "printer friendly" page doesn't work on my machine either? Any ideas?
Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:26 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
When you complete a form, send it to me. Then I will look it over, approve it and send you a PDF file for the next level. You can snail mail, e-mail or even send me a jpeg of it. Just as long as it's all legible. I usually get things back out the same day.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:09 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
This thread has been dead for a while. Is anyone getting closer to completing a level? Anyone making any progress?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:13 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,550 Posts
I will have Bronze complete tomorrow. Am helping a friend needing a 1km Goal and return to complete his level 3 LSF and will do same myself to complete Bronze here and my second go around LSF Level 3 at the same time.

Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:03 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Sweet. You go Gordon! I'm looking forward to seeing your form. Good luck.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 05:26 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,550 Posts
Hey guys the Bronze level is finally complete with the 1km G & R accomplished yesterday. We also got Kris Van Nostrans Level 3 LSF completed with his 1km G & R done as well. Congrats to Kris. Link here to my report on the day.
My Sportsman form's in the mail Steve.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2010, 05:58 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
I'll be watching for it. I think XC and the G&R tasks are the most fun. I hope you're enjoying the program so far. Keep up the good work.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 08:21 PM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
255 Posts
Steve, just need the G&R and this one will be in the bag then on to the next while working on my LSF2 stuff, its getting better and better all the time just have to find some time to fly .......hum if they'd quit wrecking cars i could fly more ...but then again. Everyone have a great week

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:47 AM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,052 Posts
You know, getting done with a level is much easier when you don't lose your papers!!! Think I need a better system of keeping them safe when they are in the truck.

Anyway, I hope to be mostly done with Bronze by the beginning of September.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:15 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Don't worry. If your luck is like mine, you'll find the old form right about the time you finish the second one.