New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2011, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by aussief3b
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,621 Posts
Hey guys,
Have been gradually working through the Silver level.
Just have the 2 ladder flights and the 45 min Add-em-Up to go.
The program is enjoyable so far and the tasks do-able during practice
days, LSF days and at contests. I see up ahead some very difficult
stuff to overcome with the precision landings required but that precision
is exactly what I am lacking in my landing skills and the task sets will
require me to improve my game considerably.
That's what I like about it!
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2011, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Glad you're still working the program Gordon. How did you like the 2K G&R? Landings seemed to be the one thing that sportsman and competition guys alike said that they needed to improve on. So we made a point of really stressing landing skills all through the program. To be honest, I'm anxious for you to start the advanced TD part of the program. I think you'll find that more challenging. Especially when you get to the higher level ladders and such where you can't miss rungs without starting over. Not to mention the multiple landing tasks for points. The contest style task sets should be right up your alley as well.

On a side note. The weather here still hasn't allowed for more than a hand launch with the Icon. I'm hoping maybe tomorrow will be decent. It's already May and we haven't had a decent day to go soaring yet up here.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old May 07, 2011, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Edwinzea
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,911 Posts
HEllo Everyone I got down to the bussiness with my bronze level I had only from 9.20am till 11.25am to fly so I made a small plan.

1st. 5 2 M SLOPE PRECISION LANDINGS - Done
2nd.5 2 M SLOPE DOWNWIND PRECISION LANDINGS and done

THe strategy was simple, with my trust worthy 1.2m DLg launch turn and burn flaps down and hand catach well most of the times :P I realized now that my aleirons are loosing too much control with flaps deployed :P so I had a coupple of nose dives :P

I had also planned to make the limbo passes, but I dind not have the equipment and the lift was very poor. So I thought WTH I will give it a try for the L1 Ladder , 5 minutes easy picecy, 10 minutes ok lets concentrATe here people, 15 minutes, it took me at least 5 tryouts till finall some thermic ativitty started on the usual places, 20 minutes 1 try out it was really good a coupple of thermics just keept on comming and the little plane was taking it so well.

I did no expect to make this flight but at the end I was so produd of my self, finished the ladder with a hand catch, with the alarm ring telling to pack and go for my Bus and everything within 2 hours

I really thank Steve all the time for this great idea, it really makes my trips to the slope productive, I have an objective and when I achieve it I come even happier than normal

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old May 07, 2011, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by donsinger1
aka KF7DS
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2009
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
I really thank Steve all the time for this great idea, it really makes my trips to the slope productive, I have an objective and when I achieve it I come even happier than normal
I could not agree more. I have been working on the Copper level this late Winter/early Spring. Being new to sailplanes the SSP and Aejrs Foam Glider contests give me a lot of direction and purpose when I go out flying.

Focusing on achieving the specified Tasks is a goal each time I fly. Even though the weather here in Portland has been poor, I have been able to make progress. Got my 5 and 10 minute flights done, plus some Precision Landings.

Don
donsinger1 is online now Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old May 07, 2011, 01:56 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
EZ: Please tell me you remembered to read the task requirements page. Your landings require a 2 minute flight from a hand launch before making the landing to count.
Old May 08, 2011, 03:28 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,911 Posts
Duh!! It was the only task I did not read in detail I will do it again next week the big problem will be the 30 min with acrobatics :P I will need a good day in the slope :P we will see

EZ
Old May 13, 2011, 03:13 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,911 Posts
Today a regular session, mainly laminar winds and coupple of thermiks but I managed the
5 2 M SLOPE PRECISION LANDINGS
5 2 M SLOPE DOWNWIND PRECISION LANDINGS

with the requiered 2 min flight this time

now I will have to wait for good winds again :P

EZ
Old May 13, 2011, 07:37 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Sweet. Keep up the good work.
Old May 20, 2011, 06:42 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
I finally got some flying in today. No witness so it was just a fun fly day. I decided to imitate Joe. I flew multiple planes so they wouldn't get jealous of each other. The Oly III and Icon finally had decent maidens. They both need some tweaking but they flew pretty well. Of course I'm a bit rusty & heavy handed after all this time off from flying. I even broke out the 120" Radian for a while after the winch was put away. The Icon took the honors today. I had to force it down a few times and at one point started to get a bit worried as it started to spec out with only my eyes to keep track of it. I'll be a woodie fan forever. I have to say though the Icon got my juices flowing. It needs a little mixing to smooth it out in the turns and some duel rates & expo to mellow out the controls. I see some tasks getting done in the near future.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
It needs a little mixing to smooth it out in the turns and some duel rates & expo to mellow out the controls. I see some tasks getting done in the near future.
I bet Cap'n Jack could give you a few tips about the Icon.
So now I know that you, Jack and Bob have been flying, I am missing out on the few good days but as of July 18 I am back to a 3:00 pm start time which means i can fly before I go to work again!!!
If Red Hen is availible I have to leave by 2, if I use the cracker jack box of a grass patch behind work I will have to be on the ground by 2:45!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old May 21, 2011, 06:07 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Sweet. I always liked flying all day during the week with you. I would get home just in time to make coffee for the wife. A lot less work got done but I would rather fly than garden and do house work. Don't feel left out though Joe. This is my first real flying session this year. Man am I rusty. Where's everyone else flying?
Old May 21, 2011, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
I'm up here in Michigan flying every chance I get. I have been doing dome of the Rc groups comp. And doing well at them.I still have a art hobby thermaci for hi-start to put together and fly. Just need to find the time..
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old May 22, 2011, 12:57 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,911 Posts
I had been flying everytime I can since January :P this weekend was really sucky for the slope no wind and in the wrong direction :P hopefully next week I can put some slope hours, I need to make my secod ladder :P

regards

EZ
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:13 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
I answer questions in the background quite often. Lately I've been thinking they should really be discussed here more as it will help others along the way. First let me say a couple of things. Please read the requirements pages. I do constantly as I suffer from CRS (can't remember s***) This serves multiple purposes. 1) It will usually answer the question at hand. 2) If it doesn't answer the question it helps us to know that we need to make changes to the requirements pages so it does. 3) Remember to re-read the requirements pages for your new level. The task requirements change for tasks to make them progressively harder as you go along. I would hate to have to send back a form because something was overlooked. Make sure of what the task requires as far as times and landings are. If you still have questions feel free to write, e-mail or PM me. Heck you can even call me if you want. I try to be quick in responding and I never mind talking about flying or the program. If you have a hint or tip on task completion strategies share them. Learning from one another will benefit us all. That being said, here's my take on the ladder tasks:

Land as soon as you can and get re-launched as soon as things look good. I've made the mistake a few times already of thinking the air was so good it was no problem. Then suddenly the lift shut off or the wind picked up. It left me standing with egg on my face and a task incomplete. Joe and I both love to post larger than needed times on our tasks. IMHO it can and will bite you in the behind. The level 1 ladders aren't so bad since you don't have to start over when missing a time/landing. Later on choosing when to launch as well as picking a good day for the task attempt will be much more important as you can't just try as many times as you need to get the next "rung" on the ladder.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
okay i have a question about the 1km and return.. How are we to check to see how far out we are ? The guys at my local club who have flown cross country stuff are going to help. Im just wondering if i need to have a tracker or logger ? this is the last thing i need to do to finish this level..
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75