HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:56 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Steve, glad to hear that you are at last close to completing this marathon .Iam one of your quiet aspirants. I am not just waiting for the complete program, but mostly the weather. It is cold up here!!!!
Ken.G.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:23 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Gee Ken, Ya mean it actuly gets cold over there in the Okanagan?? Thought you guy's were like Arizona, warm all the time. We may have to get together some time this summer and do some sloping outside Ferrie. The 3000 ft face at the "notch" is amazing.

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:52 PM
Mapleton, Australia
Joined May 2003
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
A reminder or in case you weren't aware. I have decals available with our logo on them. .
Having flown about with the decal on my slope soarers for some time now I would like to make a suggestion for future reprints of the decal.
The words "Sportsman's Soaring Program" in black on a white background by virtue of their size detract from the beauty of the main logo.
I suggest these words should be much smaller in black on a transparent background and placed immediately below, curved and attached if possible, to the bottom black line of the logo and to fit between where this line turns upwards.
I have also found that the level tag look real good if placed in the open part of the dark green although this should be left to personal taste. This of course assumes you would only display the highest level achieved, again personal taste will apply?
Great work Steve
elcoba is offline Find More Posts by elcoba
Old Feb 03, 2010, 07:37 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
The intent was for the level tag to go in front of the word "member" as an adjective. As in, "Copper Member". Put them where you want them, don't use them, it doesn't matter. I did have all of the level tags made the same size so as you progress you can simply apply your new level right over the old and cover it up. As far as changing the logo. We had a guy in the beginning think enough of our efforts to surprise us and create us a logo. Out of appreciation for his efforts, it's staying as it is.
************************************************** ************************************************** **
Any progress on the slope stuff yet guys? I'm really wanting to finish this up.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Feb 03, 2010, 02:08 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,223 Posts
getting some feedback on the DS portion. So far 10 laps in a minute seems doable and acheivable with some effort.

Can we include the F3F task as is?
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Feb 03, 2010, 07:48 PM
Mapleton, Australia
Joined May 2003
21 Posts
Quote:
As far as changing the logo. Out of appreciation for his efforts, it's staying as it is.
[CENTER]/CENTER]
Any progress on the slope stuff yet guys? I'm really wanting to finish this up.
No problem with the logo itself, it is great. The problem is the large writing which detracts from the logo.
We have given you our suggestions for silver some time back. Please elaborate on what you are waiting for?
elcoba is offline Find More Posts by elcoba
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:24 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,223 Posts
Check out this post for some future DS options, if there is a next level for slope.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11337
Ian really likes to do aerobatics while DS'ing and it looks really cool. Check out the video.
Crossfire doing tight DS acro at Weldon (4 min 49 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:47 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
that beast sounds soooo cool.
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Feb 04, 2010, 05:51 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
I'm not sure if I should be diappointed that there's no slopes around here or thankful. That looks like way too much fun! I don't think my wallet can take much more in this hobby.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:36 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,223 Posts
And for those of you not familiar with the Crossfire he is flying, it is a 3 meter F3B style plane. Big plane maneuvering like a little one.

I can't afford it either.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:09 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure if I should be diappointed that there's no slopes around here or thankful. That looks like way too much fun! I don't think my wallet can take much more in this hobby.
agreed.. all the slopes here are tree coverd expect the on in frankfurt.. indy is about as flat as it gets tho..
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Feb 05, 2010, 07:58 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Mt. Baldy, ask Dave, he has been there!!
The Falcon or the one Jim gave you would be just fine!!!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 05, 2010, 04:54 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Ok so I've watched it several time's now,and am I missing somthing or is there very little wind?? You can hear the camera man's breathing more than the wind. Or is that normal for a DS site? Being on the backside and all.

Do you launch on the front side first or just chuck it as hard as posible?

Ken
SSP #6
Old Feb 06, 2010, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Spatz View Post
Ok so I've watched it several time's now,and am I missing somthing or is there very little wind?? You can hear the camera man's breathing more than the wind. Or is that normal for a DS site? Being on the backside and all.

Do you launch on the front side first or just chuck it as hard as posible?

Ken
SSP #6
Normally launch on the front side, gain some altitude and speed and diver to the dark side. Reason it is so quiet is that some sites have such a sharp shear layer that you can actually get out of the wind on the back side of the hill. Kind of a nice break from having to freeze out on the front side.
Old Feb 06, 2010, 04:28 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Makes perfect sence. Now to find a workable site around here.

Ken
SSP #6