HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:26 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,252 Posts
Work for me as well. I will be working on both sides of the program tasks, in some cases I might do both the TD and slope tasks. Like that you do have the G&R for both TD and slope. Curios to see what the aero routine is though.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:42 AM
Mapleton, Australia
Joined May 2003
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
Here we go. This is what I have so far. Of course the routines aren't done yet. How does this look to everyone? [/B]
Sorry, cannot coment until explanation of tasks is provided, not neccesary for full details to be given.But what is included in R1 to R4?.
elcoba is offline Find More Posts by elcoba
Old Jan 08, 2010, 07:11 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoba View Post
Sorry, cannot coment until explanation of tasks is provided, not neccesary for full details to be given.But what is included in R1 to R4?.
That is for you slope guys to decide hopefully. As well as how many maneuvers in each one. I can put it all together if you tell me what maneuvers you think should be in each level and which are possible. Spins, snaps, goldfish, bowtie, etc. What all do you want to use and in what level? Arresti is going to be needed to explain it to everyone. Hopefully that won't make for a whole new can of worms to get opened.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:41 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,252 Posts
Didn't look at the silver level very close before. Would suggest replacing 2 of the 3 aero routines with different tasks.

For the R2 task, I suggest an F3F type task. Complete the run in less than 75 seconds. Repeat 10 times with every other attempt being completed a bit faster. Something like 75, 70, 65, 60, 55 secs.

For the R3 task, how about the DS task. 10 consecutive DS circuits with a time less than 75 secs. Repeat 10 times with every other attempt being completed a bit faster. Something like 75, 70, 65, 60, 55 secs.

Trying to put a time constraint on it that is at least acheivable by newbies at first but will challenge them at the end. Problem with the F3F and DS task is that they are very slope conditions dependent. Also, an experienced DS'er can probably crank out 10 laps faster than 55 secs if they are creative in how they do it. The big boys going for the top speeds have lap times that average around 4 secs but they are going 350+ mph.

Also, limits the number of aero routines that need to be developed. In my opinion, each aero routine should be run multiple times to get the time commitment up on those.

Thoughts or comments?
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:59 AM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
741 Posts
DS Tasks

Just a caveat here. While there are many good slope sites available, not every site is good for dynamic soaring. Therefore, including a mandatory DS task may make the level unattainable by a good many pilots.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:04 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,252 Posts
I understand that many places do not support a DS task. Part of what I would like to see is people who enter the program being willing to do TD tasks when the slope task is not feasable (and vice versa), try both sides of the program anyway, or be willing to travel a bit to do a task. Branch out and meet some of us other people who share a similar passion/addiction/disease.

In the case of DS, it is highly addictive. Know plenty of people who drive over a thousand miles just to get their speed fix. Others are more fortunate and live in the middle of sites that can do it. Someone who is doing the DS task is probably willing to travel for the right conditions. Others will just have to DS their house.
Last edited by corsha99; Jan 08, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:04 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
What all can I put in the first routine (R1)? I'm thinking 12-20 maneuvers, 5-10 passes, no time limit. (at least this time) Sound ok? I know I'm going to hear this so I'm going to say it up front. Not all ships will be able to do every maneuver. You're going to need a ship with ailerons, elevator and a rudder. This is the price of wanting more than just "time" for the determining factor so it will stay fresh, fun and interesting. A RE (rudder, elevator) ship isn't going to cut it. That's just the way it's going to have to be. We've went back and re-worked the program so we could include slope again. I'm sorry, but it isn't going to be possible to keep it fair making it do-able with a Gentle Lady.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:17 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsha99 View Post
Didn't look at the silver level very close before. Would suggest replacing 2 of the 3 aero routines with different tasks.

For the R2 task, I suggest an F3F type task. Complete the run in less than 75 seconds. Repeat 10 times with every other attempt being completed a bit faster. Something like 75, 70, 65, 60, 55 secs.

For the R3 task, how about the DS task. 10 consecutive DS circuits with a time less than 75 secs. Repeat 10 times with every other attempt being completed a bit faster. Something like 75, 70, 65, 60, 55 secs.

Trying to put a time constraint on it that is at least acheivable by newbies at first but will challenge them at the end. Problem with the F3F and DS task is that they are very slope conditions dependent. Also, an experienced DS'er can probably crank out 10 laps faster than 55 secs if they are creative in how they do it. The big boys going for the top speeds have lap times that average around 4 secs but they are going 350+ mph.

Also, limits the number of aero routines that need to be developed. In my opinion, each aero routine should be run multiple times to get the time commitment up on those.

Thoughts or comments?
DS will stay out until Advanced. F3F is a possibility. How do you plan to determine distance between turns and time? I know little to nothing about F3F. Give me some usable parameters.
However, for now, let's work on getting Bronze done. I'll draw the arresti chart by hand if I have to. I'm considering buying a program that allows me to do it though. I have to check and see if I have Microsoft Visio 2007 and if it will run on Windows 7. It's also possible to pay someone to do the charts as needed.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:03 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,252 Posts
For F3F, go to my previous post that has links in it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=784

The rules for F3F are pretty specific. Simplified highlights are poles 100 meters apart. Enter the course on one end heading to the other, turn around once the nose of the sailplane crosses an imaginary plane, repeat 9 times, and exit out the same end as the start. Time starts when sailplane crosses the start plane and ends when the sailplane exits the course after a complete run.

For the aero routine, just spell it out in words. something like...
Pass 1, from right to left, 3 level rolls to the right, 1 loop returning to same start altitude, ..........

Will look for a recent slope aerobatic contest that was done to give all of us some starting point.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:21 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,252 Posts
Check these out for info. The first link to the pdf document is really good. The last 2 have routines in them already.
http://www.southernsoaringclub.org.z...10-aerobat.PDF
http://www.slopeaerobatics.com
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946985
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165858

This link has got a ton of info as well.
http://users.ompac.net.au/~iancole/default.htm

We would probably be well served to get Ian, from the above link, to participate in this.

Steve, I will try to help with this later today. Bunch going on right now that I need to get back to doing.
Cory
Last edited by corsha99; Jan 10, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:15 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,252 Posts
Aerobatic routine R1

How about this for an aerobatic routine, just to get the conversation started.

Starting with wings level from the right to left...
Pass 1: 1 inside loop, exit horizontal, 1.5 rolls to right (exit inverted), 0.5 outside vertical loop
Pass 2: 0.25 roll to left, horizontal knife edge for 1 or more seconds, 0.5 inside horizontal loop
Pass 3: 0.75 rolls to the right (exit inverted), 0.25 outside loop to vertical, 0.5 vertical roll, 0.25 outside loop to horizontal, horizontal flight for 3 or more seconds, 0.5 rolls to the right, 0.5 inside vertical loop
Pass 4: 3.0 rolls to the left, 0.5 inside vertical loop (exit inverted)
Pass 5: 0.5 rolls to the right, 1 outside vertical loop (exit inverted), 0.5 roll to the right, 0.5 inside vertical loop
Pass 6: inverted flight for 3 or more seconds, 0.25 roll to the left, 0.5 inside horizontal loop
Pass 7: horizontal knife edge for 3 or more seconds, 0.5 roll to right, 0.5 inside horizontal loop
Pass 8: 0.25 roll to the left, start inside loop, exit inverted at a 45 deg dive angle, 0.5 roll to the right, start inside loop, exit inverted at a 45 deg dive angle, 0.5 roll to the left, .125 inside loop to horizontal flight.

and end routine. Think it works out to exit the routine right side up and wings level. Uses all of the skills that were learned in the Bronze level.

This is a very specific routine as spelled out. I spelled out the motion of the sailplane as opposed to using maneuver names like an Immelman turn or Cuban 8. You will notice that some of the turns at the end of a pass are horizontal and some are vertical. That was part of the point in spelling out a routine.

Thought, comments?
Cory
Last edited by corsha99; Jan 10, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:31 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I like it. What's everyone else think?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:34 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Looks liks a challenge. BUT on pass 6 and 7 you are ending with a knife edge 1/2 loop. Very tuff to do unless you have a very hefty rudder even with something with a motor on the front.

Looks good tho.

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:40 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
DAMIT ALL TO HELL!! I should of read closer. HORIZONTAL LOOP!!!!! Not vertical loop. You are just holding that position while turning around to make the next pass .

I'll walk away now with tail between my leg's .

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:49 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,252 Posts
Please double check it all. Went through it a couple of times and think it ends with wings level. That was part of the reason for adding vertical and horizontal labels to the loops.