HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:17 AM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,284 Posts
I'm in.
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:10 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Looks good, BUT I would like clarification(without haveing to read all 700 post's) about the Downwind Spot landing.

Is it A: Landing with the wind

Or

B: Flying a downwind approch and land into the wind but down wind of the launch point.

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Spatz View Post
Looks good, BUT I would like clarification(without haveing to read all 700 post's) about the Downwind Spot landing.

Is it A: Landing with the wind

Or

B: Flying a downwind approch and land into the wind but down wind of the launch point.

Ken
SSP #6

I thought it was B. Need the official clarification as well.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 03:04 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
It would be "A". Landing the same direction as the wind is blowing. It's not as easy as you must keep the airspeed up. However, it's a good thing to know how to do. We may have to add that to the Thermal Duration part as well. Also, launching down wind is good practice in Thermal Duration as sometimes you have to do it that way. It's a bit unnerving the first time or two. Launches are faster and shallower. Good thing to know though.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jan 05, 2010, 03:12 PM
Mapleton, Australia
Joined May 2003
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
It would be "A". Landing the same direction as the wind is blowing. It's not as easy as you must keep the airspeed up. .
I am with you. "A" is the way to go
elcoba is offline Find More Posts by elcoba
Old Jan 05, 2010, 03:46 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
So with a wind speed of 20mph and ballested up for that wind, I have an airspeed of 20mph, landing for this task I must be contacting the ground at 40MPH with a spot landing .

Going to need to start looking at those Foamy's.

Ken SSP #6
Old Jan 05, 2010, 03:55 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Since you can catch, it shouldn't be a problem. You just need an air bag out front like I have. Of course if I miss the grab it could be thrown back over the slope.
On a more serious note. I think the best would be to fly into the wind to bleed the airspeed off, turn and land with the wind. But what do I know, I don't slope...yet. Should be fun! Thermal is a bit easier as we have more room to land generally.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:00 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,284 Posts
Spell it out as landing with the wind. Will avoid any confusion.

I will be doing it with something very light, little wind, and catching it. I've done this before with something big and heavy and it was not fun. Kind of hurt and is generally dangerous. We always figure out a different way of bringing it in, even sideways along the slope, to avoid having to catch the heavier planes directly with the wind. If behind the slope is open, just go back, turnaround, come through the rotor, pop the flaps, and grease it in. Hopefully Bronze will be the only time this with the wind landing task gets done.
Last edited by corsha99; Jan 05, 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:27 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsha99 View Post
Spell it out as landing with the wind. Will avoid any confusion.

I will be doing it with something very light, little wind, and catching it. I've done this before with something big and heavy and it was not fun. Kind of hurt and is generally dangerous. We always figure out a different way of bringing it in, even sideways along the slope, to avoid having to catch the heavier planes directly with the wind. If behind the slope is open, just go back, turnaround, come through the rotor, pop the flaps, and grease it in. Hopefully Bronze will be the only time this with the wind landing task gets done.
We will, as soon as we know everything is good and there will be no changes. And yes, this will probably be the only time it's done downwind. It's a good skill to learn but not one that needs done to death.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 09:43 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Is not using a super light aircraft in super light winds just a bit outside of the typical slope condition's we fly under? Kinda like haveing a TD task of a 10,000 ft gain in hight. Do-able just not within the norm.
I don't mind the down wing landing,just don't see the requirement of it being a spot landing task once, yet we need to do it 5 time's. If it's to pratice emergancy landing's, that cool.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Jan 06, 2010, 10:13 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Spatz View Post
Is not using a super light aircraft in super light winds just a bit outside of the typical slope condition's we fly under? Kinda like haveing a TD task of a 10,000 ft gain in hight. Do-able just not within the norm.
I don't mind the down wing landing,just don't see the requirement of it being a spot landing task once, yet we need to do it 5 time's. If it's to pratice emergancy landing's, that cool.

Ken
SSP #6
I have flown Easy Gliders in 5 mph winds on the slope and a Polecat XP5 DLG in 2-3 mph winds on the slope. Why stop flying just because the wind slows down?

I do agree that light winds and a light plane that is easily hand caught would be the best way to complete this task, this down wind spot landing. As for why anyone would want to make a down wind spot landing intentionally, unless you clearly want to catch the plane, I don't know. Then again, I can't imagine why anyone would want to do an 8 hour slope flight but the LSF seems to think it is an important task.

In defense of the task, the ability to do down wind landings in a confined space would be an excellent skill to have in order to fly a slope where that would be the only way to land.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 06, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 10:18 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Ok. Point taken.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:46 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I look at it as a way to learn a skill that may keep you from panicking in case you're forced to do it. Since you will be familiar with it it could save your plane. At the same time I don't think it's something you need to more than a few times to get over the "fear" of doing it. It amazes me how many people freak out when they have to land or take off downwind. Is it better to take off and land into the wind, yes. However, having the skills to do it either way makes for a better rounded pilot. A safer one IMHO as well. Whether it sould be a spot landing, I'll leave up to you guys.
Anyone have an idea for an aerobatic routine yet?
Old Jan 07, 2010, 02:13 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Here we go. This is what I have so far. Of course the routines aren't done yet. How does this look to everyone? I want to hear from the thermal guys as well. I don't want to get all done and then hear, "Not fair". I realize the routines will have to be ok'ed but the rest can be voted on now.
The website is updated so if you need clarification on something look there before asking. This will serve two purposes. 1) it should answer your questions 2) if it doesn't answer you questions, it let's me know I forgot something so I can add it.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 02:52 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
They both work for me.
The limbo is slope only or can we use it for a TD landing as well? Would be kinda cool to come in HOT, pass under the line, do a quick climb with a 360 degree turn then land. It would be like the Hi Speed water ballest run's done by the full scale ship's. .

Glider Low Pass (1 min 23 sec)

Ken
SSP #6