HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:53 PM
Mapleton, Australia
Joined May 2003
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
Where's all our slope guys at? I need to hear from you. I've been talking to Joe and we have a new game plan we would like to discuss real quick with everyone.---- But we will need the slope guys help. We're thinking of making them a little easier and having slope re-done for Bronze and continued through Silver.---
Sorry for delay in answering. PC groups seem to have a problem with my web address (no one else has a problem) as they say emails have been returned although my one #719 got through OK. I will contact them and try and sort it out.
We have produced a trial version for bronze and the club members are trying it out before we go on to silver as well as gold. We are reluctant to publish any details until you have sorted out where you are going with the thermal levels as we wish the slope levels to be complementary to the thermal levels in principle where possible. I note the idea to split the levels to allow for the newer/not expert aspirants to have levels up to silver with platinum on being for the more expert, and in fact suggested this way back in #679. We also have no wish to go through the hassle that that has been going on this thread for the last number of months and will issue all the levels as a co-ordinated program for comment when completed. We have only been busy on this for just on 2 weeks so don’t expect miracles).
What is of concern to us is the paragraph “We're thinking of making them a little easier and having slope re-done for Bronze and continued through Silver” in #716.We thought that is what we were asked to do? Please let us know what is happening. We don’t want to compete with you.
A quick look at what we propose doing with the slope program:-
1.Sportsman’s Slope Soaring Program SSSP, copper, bronze, silver and gold levels. For the average flyer.
Advanced SSP, platinum 1/2/3?. For the competitive “nut”. We are doing nothing in this area. Will wait to see what is happening with thermal and if you want our involvement.
2. Duration tasks with spots will include a set number (depending on level) of 5 min flights with the same spot requirement should the initial spot be missed. This will remove the need for a total re-flight to achieve a spot. If no spot is achieved in the number given a re-flight will be required.
3. Specified aerobatic tasks are to be completed during duration flights. These will be increased in difficulty and number in higher levels.
4. Some fun fly tasks will also be included.
The intent of all the above is to include an element of ‘fun’ into the various levels and also where possible to keep the involvement of timekeepers/judges to an absolute minimum.
elcoba is offline Find More Posts by elcoba
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2009, 05:50 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
elcoba: I sent you an e-mail. Please let me know if you get it.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Dec 05, 2009, 04:14 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
This was not an easy decision. We were getting so close to the end to re-work the program at this stage was a tough choice. In the end we had to agree that it was probably going to serve the soaring community better this way. So now the program will be three parts with three levels in each part. There will be the base program with the "this or that" style. (TD or slope, or a mixture of both) Then two advanced parts one for TD, one for slope that you can either do one or both of. Yes, if you want, you may even do both advanced parts at the same time. You will however be required to do the base program first before starting either of the advanced parts. Sorry but we're adamant about this part. It doesn't matter how experienced you are, you will be required to do the base program first. I have sent Charles the new bronze and silver levels for them to add the slope stuff to. As soon as I hear back I'll let everyone know. Cory is going to check it out to see how it looks for this side of the pond. We're hoping to have the base program done soon. The advanced TD will be done in short order as we already know where it's headed. Over the next few days I plan to get to the web site and make the changes. If you're planning to do all TD for Bronze and Silver there will be nothing to slow you down as that part is already done so we can accomodate you. The next question is, should we use precious gems for the advanced slope stuff to differentiate between the two advanced programs? I know, a whole new can of worms. I knew it would come up so I figured I would get a jump on it.
Old Dec 05, 2009, 02:28 PM
Laughter-silvered Wings...
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Apr 2009
35 Posts
So if I plan to start the copper level tomorrow I don't have to wait for changes?
Mandolomo is offline Find More Posts by Mandolomo
Old Dec 05, 2009, 03:49 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Copper is finished and not going to change. Bronze and Silver are re-done (not re-posted yet though) as far as the TD part goes. Just waiting on the slope stuff before re-posting it. So as long as you don't want to do slope in those two parts you're good to go all the way through the base program. I'm hoping the slope stuff is at least close for bronze. I haven't heard back yet.
Old Dec 05, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
Got my first task in for Bronze today. Temp out today was about 45 F with light winds and mostly clear skies. Did a 33 minute flight with an 18 inch landing. Flight was with my e-Allegro. I did an initial climb for 55 seconds to 536 feet. I tried to keep the climb direction in one general direction similar to what a winch launch would be.

Peak height on the flight was about 1,500 feet. I worked 5 different thermals on the flight.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Dec 05, 2009, 06:26 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,600 Posts
Congrats Ryan. Way to go!
It's actually awesome to see the electric sailplanes getting it done too.
Great flight.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:04 AM
Laughter-silvered Wings...
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Apr 2009
35 Posts
Well, I started my bronze level today! It was 36 degrees out and raining, (in sunny California!! ) but I did manage to get 3 of my spot landings in before my non functioning un-gloved fingers told me to get my but back in the car! I'm hoping for the weather to cooperate next time...
Mandolomo is offline Find More Posts by Mandolomo
Old Dec 07, 2009, 07:49 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
Nice Mandolomo. I wanted to get more work in on Bronze yesterday but I had a lot of family commitments.
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:15 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
I will trade you for a rainy 36 degree's. It was a sunny -32 here today,with 4 to 8 inche's of fresh snow this weekend.

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Dec 09, 2009, 07:23 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I have received the slope tasks for Bronze and Silver from the guys in AU. They're in the process of doing trials on it. I will be posting it along with the easier Bronze and Silver tasks for Bronze and Silver TD in the next few days. Don't worry if you're working on Bronze right now as most of it has stayed the same. No more 1hr flight or XC. Silver got the big make-over. This will bring them back to what every one else wanted. Shorter, easier "this or that" style. This will constitute the base program of three levels. Then there will be an advanced program of three levels for each, slope and TD. This should please the most people and make the course not look so daunting to people starting out. Beings this is such a large make-over for me, plan for it to take a few days for me to get everything updated on the site. As soon as I post it here and hear everyone's opinions first. When I get that done I will be posting the last three (advanced) levels for TD as we're close to having them worked out. Slope will take the guys a bit longer.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:31 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
no longer relevant.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Dec 19, 2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:25 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
565 Posts
downwind landing question

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your continued work on this. I don't know much about the sloping community or what skills define proficiency, so I can't comment on the appropriateness of the tasks. I do, however, have a question that might help me and others learn something.

Is there something I'm missing about the downwind landing... is this something that's necessary due to some sites? Why would I want to risk damage to the plane by multiplying the speed of touchdown? A fast downwind approach with a quick turn-around I could understand.

Regards,
Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:52 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
I looked it over and like what has been proposed.

The limbo task looks like fun.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 10, 2009, 08:46 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
The down wind landing "should" be a rectangular approch where you fly behind the slope and fly the base leg and final thru the Roter!! NOT a fun place to be if you are not prepaired for it. It's like flying in a Giant blender. The steeper the slope with a sharp edge the more violent the roter is.

Ken
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz