SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by ecormier
Moncton, NB
Joined Aug 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
There's no need to have a logger. We aren't going to scrub your flight because you managed 701 feet. Winch launch heights vary as well. Sorry for the confusion.
I've launched so many times with a high-start that I have I good idea of what a regular launch height should look like. I'll be launching well below 700 feet.

It's nice to have the electric option for when you're confined to a small or unmowed field.

Quote:
Man, this one is going to cost me. My rule has been, if you find a mistake in the rules or the web site you get a decal on me. Look for it in the mail.
You don't have to. I was going to print myself a decal on adhesive Avery paper.
ecormier is offline Find More Posts by ecormier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
It's already on it's way.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by corsha99
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,522 Posts
Plan on working on the program this weekend. Combat competition up in the mountains and plan on using the Friday before to get a bunch of tasks done.

Has anyone completed Bronze yet?
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:59 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Welcome ASP #65, impactm2 from the Netherlands. We're spreading around the globe quite nicely.
corsha99: No, no one has completed Bronze yet. Are you getting close?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:27 AM
Find More Posts by impactm2
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2007
2 Posts
Thank you Steve, looking forward to getting started !

- Joost
impactm2 is offline Find More Posts by impactm2
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,522 Posts
[QUOTE=Steve Boone; Are you getting close?[/QUOTE]

That depends on whether or not I can find my original sheet. Had a few tasks done on it. Regardless, 3 days of flying slope gives me plenty of opportunity to get tasks done. The add 'em up ones I should be able do during the combat competition, assuming I don't get knocked out of the air too often.

Have to admit that there is some incentive to being the first one done with Bronze though.
Cory
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,423 Posts
Quote:
Welcome ASP #65, impactm2 from the Netherlands. We're spreading around the globe quite nicely.
corsha99: No, no one has completed Bronze yet. Are you getting close?
If we would have had any kind of weather, if some of us did not have to work so much, if some of us had not gotten a boo-bo we could have gotten some were close to bronze here at the home of the SSP.
Cover the globe, just way to cool. Welcome aboard from abroad.
65 and growing, I am working on the other Steve to get on the ship with us.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:27 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Happy birthday, Joe! Don't get your walker tangled in the winch line.

You forget. 4 of us had no aspirant number, so we're at 69. I think I'll give us an arbitrary one just to make things easier to keep tabs on. After the company leaves next week I plan to try flying, with help launching of course. If I could just stop using the arm it would heal a lot faster. If the power ever stays on long enough to get some work done, it may be a maiden of the OLY III. The sky seems so empty when there's no yellow and red sailplane in it.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jun 24, 2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by maguro
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,694 Posts
I started working on Copper with my 30 year old Flamingo. THen I built the Blu-Guppy for my wife, and while "breaking it in" for her, got several spot landings. Now I'm flying a Graupner Cirrus, I just built from a kit I had sitting around for over 30 years.

The Cirrus is a floater, and setting up landings has proven to be a challenge. My closest landing was 17 feet. I guess I just need to get out on a day when the wind is gentle, and the lift is lousy and launch and land over and over.

Roger
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:41 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
At least you're making progress and adding to the fleet as well. Keep up the good work. I hope to see some completed Copper Forms this year.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by sjgoulet
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
717 Posts
Steve, ive been doing a lot of flying just no witnesses around when i need the DOH. All i need to do to finish up the Bronze lvl is the 1K G&R and the L1 add em up and then it will be done i think. Everyone have a great day

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Jul 04, 2010, 12:11 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,522 Posts
I didn't get as much done last weekend as I hoped to. Have about half of the bronze level left to do.
Cory
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:32 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
We have another member. MalotiFlyer just finished his Copper Level. He is now member #14. It's good to see our ranks growing.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by aussief3b
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,620 Posts
Nice thermal day in florida today with little wind. Did my 45 minute flight for bronze with the Xplorer. All I have left to complete Bronze is the 1km G & R.
Now that I have been working my way through a level and reviewing the rules as I go I have some questions - again.
Getting ready for the nats I have practised landings with the Xplorer 2 and 3 times a week now for a month with literally hundreds done. Sometimes doing 30 a day. Using a 3 foot circle as a target with a 12 inch circle for the bullseye. Based on my practice and measured results the later levels requiring timed flights with many consecutive landings within 9 inches are going to be way beyond my skill set.
Please clarify the requirements under Sect 16 copied below. It does not say that the task has to be repeated from the beginning for a missed landing??? Just for a missed time??

Section 16 Ladder Flight (L4)
Make the required flight times consecutively and land within 1/4 M (9.8 inches) of a predetermined marked spot all on the same day. Miss a time and you must start back at the beginning and repeat the ladder. If the landing is missed.

Also the timed flight rules allow for + or - so many seconds. It really should be +5 secs but - 0 secs. Otherwise you didn't actually get the time - you would be allowing timed flights that were actually short of the target time? Is that the intention?
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:58 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussief3b View Post
Getting ready for the nats I have practised landings with the Xplorer 2 and 3 times a week now for a month with literally hundreds done. Sometimes doing 30 a day. Using a 3 foot circle as a target with a 12 inch circle for the bullseye. Based on my practice and measured results the later levels requiring timed flights with many consecutive landings within 9 inches are going to be way beyond my skill set.
Please clarify the requirements under Sect 16 copied below. It does not say that the task has to be repeated from the beginning for a missed landing??? Just for a missed time??
The timed flight rules allow for + or - so many seconds. It really should be +5 secs but - 0 secs. Otherwise you didn't actually get the time - you would be allowing timed flights that were actually short of the target time? Is that the intention?

Section 16 Ladder Flight (L4)
Make the required flight times consecutively and land within 1/4 M (9.8 inches) of a predetermined marked spot all on the same day. Miss a time and you must start back at the beginning and repeat the ladder. If the landing is missed?
Gordon
No problem, this is how we know what needs fixing and clarifying. First off, remember this is a "Sportsman's" program. As such not all things will make sense as compared to competition. Well, maybe not at first. When we started creating the program we wanted to keep it relevent to competition for those who may wish to get into competition at some point. However not necessarily about competition but more about learning skill sets. It also works quite well as a training tool for those who do compete. We also strived to keep it within the LSF rules to make tasks usable in both programs at the same time for those of us that do both programs. We based the tasks with a primary skill to learn and in some cases a secondary one to make things more challenging. We didn't want a watered down program, it had to be challenging at the least and demanding at it's pinacle. Sometimes however the intended skill being taught isn't what it appears at first glance. More confused now right?
When I talked to Joe and a lot of others who compete I found that making the time doesn't mean much if you can't stick the landing. I also found that most said that if there was one skill they could build on to do better it would be landing consistancy. I took a poll to find the landing numbers that we used to build the program. The higher levels were based on LSF IV and V guys and others I have met that can consistantly put a plane on a spot.
The timed flights are more about learning to set up a landing than making a time. That's why it's +/- instead of just + . Ladder flights are primarily about hitting a time. The secondary is the landing. So to answer your question. No, you don't have to start over if you miss the landing. You just have to repeat the time you're on until you hit both the time and landing. If you miss the time "x" number of times (when applicable) you have to start back at the beginning. For me this made it a bit more fun. (You made the landing and missed the time. Now that could really cost you. You made your time but missed the landing. Whew that was close, saved by the skin on your teeth. Try again.) Once again, it puts a lot of importance on landing skills.
I hope this helps.