HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:47 AM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
I will be flying ALL my TD task's with a "woodie" kit. When the old 1970 Windward is at it's limit,there is a CaraCara on the building table,that is from a plans set from RCM magazine ( july 1977 issue). For the XC and G&R task's,I will use my Sailaire (kit should arrive this week). Don't see as I need a big $$$ carbon slipper with bagged wing and all the bell's and whistle's.

As for getting the program finished,I think that by 2015 gold should be in the bag.
2010 -Bronze 1year
2011,2012-silver 2year
2015 -gold 3year

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2009, 01:36 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
This progam is slowly slipping from a general flight task program to a convoluted, nearly impossible special interest event. Now you've got 10-20 beleivers, but you've lost all the general popularity and this program unfortunately will die a quick death.

Build your own woodie? You're joking? Why not insist that you build your own 2 channel AM radio too?

Someone needs to show a little sanity here.

Question... If I fly for an hour twice a week, how long should this program take me?
Ralph Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Weaver
Old Nov 14, 2009, 03:05 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Ralph a big part of this hobby is building. The build a woodie is to demostrate the ability of building a sailplane that can stand up to the rigors of platinum level. ARF,s and ARF moldies are nice way to get into the hobby. Rolling you own you gain so much satisfaction from building you own and seeing it airborne. This program is designed to broaden folks horizons for those that are ARF'ers.
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Nov 14, 2009, 03:44 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Weaver View Post
Someone needs to show a little sanity here.

Question... If I fly for an hour twice a week, how long should this program take me?
I started the LSF in 86-88 time frame and I am 3 contest and 300 points short of completing LIII. It has been an enjoyable journey of fun and learning. I will not complete LV due to lack of interest in slope soaring.

I think the 2m Woody is a good idea, it will give a better retrospect to were our hobby came from than just walking around the AMA museum no matter how much can be learned there, not to mention broadening the horizions of newcomers and taking us old timers down memory lane.

I would bet that if a body showed up at a contest for the first time with silver or platinum under their SSP insigna that they would do better than most first time contest attendies, why you ask? Because of the PRACTICE they put in getting there

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Nov 14, 2009, 03:53 PM
Pagosa Springs, CO
Joined Jul 2007
240 Posts
Building your own woodie is not that big of a deal. I'm getting back into models after 50 years (I'm 67), and the kits available today are a real pleasure to build.

I completed the spot landings and one of the TD flights with a Radian, but I'm going to try to finish copper with a discus-launch Gambler AG that I've just built. I'm sure that it will take most of next summer to accomplish that, but I'm in no hurry.
Teezer is offline Find More Posts by Teezer
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:19 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
I may be dating myself a bit here, but I built my first 4 channel and 6 channel radio's. Old Heathkit system's. It took an evening or two to build each of the servo's alone. Frightning to open the box and see hundred's of diode's and resister's,screw's,and bitty part's of all size's. I'll see if I can find an old pic somewhere.

How many new soaring pilot's will be starting out with a simple woodie R/E kit
(GL,Riser,Spirit,etc)as it's normal for most people to get started with the lowest initial cash start up?

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Nov 14, 2009, 05:31 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Sorry Ken I started with foam all by myself after wrecking a Electra and Kyosho Soarus, but I moved onto wood after I learned how to fly. I have a GL, GI, and a Spirit 100. I think you just dated yourself Ken! My first radio was a AM two channel Futaba.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 07:02 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knormang View Post
Gordon, You are not alone, I shall be lucky if I live long enough to achieve the bronze level. I shall be 88 yrs. old this month so I am running out of time and breath.I shall start next spring and be very happy if I get through copper in one year!You guys who have soared in competitions should be pretty good judges of what is possible and reasonable, so I shall do my little bit and leave the more daunting tasks to you younguns!Good Luck.Aspirant45.
I think Mr. knormang is onto something here.... Where he says... "You guys who have soared in competitions should be pretty good judges of what is possible and reasonable."

I suggest instead Steve poll some of the LSF level V fliers for their opinion on things like the ladder flights. They are really masters with MANY years of experiance. Maybe they can comment on the difficulty of these levels better?

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Nov 14, 2009, 07:25 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soar_dude View Post
Ralph a big part of this hobby is building. The build a woodie is to demostrate the ability of building a sailplane that can stand up to the rigors of platinum level. ARF,s and ARF moldies are nice way to get into the hobby. Rolling you own you gain so much satisfaction from building you own and seeing it airborne. This program is designed to broaden folks horizons for those that are ARF'ers.
We've long since evolved past that. We used to have to make our own radios too. I gave up wooden sailplanes years ago and have no desire to regress. I started out covering with silk or silkspan and dope - that would broaden some horizons. Now, if you let me do my own bagged or molded plane, then I'd be interested.

I also object to the arbitrary choice of which horizon I have to widen. Maybe require the events to be flown in 3 different time zones to boaden geographic horizons. Maybe fly in drag to broaden other areas... When you go from a simple achievment based system and start trying to improve peoples character you start down a slippery slope. RC soaring is already too much of a religion to some.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 08:40 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Ralph no amount of explaining it to you is not going to change your mind. Most kids nowadays are ARF'ers and are willing to trash it and by another one without another thought. Its your choice not build anymore and that is what this program is about a choice. As far as evolved past that why are Bubble dancers, Sky Bench Oly's, Houston Hawks, Maruders and a slew of others are still popular. Wood has evolved with the times too.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 01:37 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
The program should be about accomplishment only, not experiences, values and horizons. If someone wants to buy a new moldie for every flight, what difference does that make? Just because you don't approve of someone's values should have nothing to do with a program like this.

I don't completely disagree with the self built part, but why does it have to be a woodie? The ultimate level of a program like this be better served by requiring one to build a state of the art bagged or molded plane.

I'm curious to why you think I'm the one who needs to change their mind. I think we'd have a better program if you'd change your mind.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:19 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Weaver View Post
The program should be about accomplishment only, not experiences, values and horizons. If someone wants to buy a new moldie for every flight, what difference does that make? Just because you don't approve of someone's values should have nothing to do with a program like this.

I don't completely disagree with the self built part, but why does it have to be a woodie? The ultimate level of a program like this be better served by requiring one to build a state of the art bagged or molded plane.

I'm curious to why you think I'm the one who needs to change their mind. I think we'd have a better program if you'd change your mind.
Hear! Hear!
I have been back in the hobby for 10 months after a 23 year absence. I really aren't interested in building a woody when I can fly a moldie. I have looked up an old friend - David Vels http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...9&d=1241486288from Brisbane Australia and he is building a moldie from scratch. Unfotunately his "home built moldie would not qualify for the upper echelons of the proposed SSP because it is not old enough technology. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1139397Yet he and his Aussie mates are creating their moldie in the backyard garage. Its as home built as any Oly or other woodie.
Hey blokes - lets make the SSP a successful Sportsmans Soaring Program for the majority of non contest fliers - not an exclusive society of soaring fliers intent on just pleasing a minority.
Gordon
aussief3b is online now Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:48 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
When you are setting up a program of hoops for all and any dogs to jump through, if you make all the hoops the same size to fit a terrier, the only dogs that can compete must be terrier sized dogs!Does that make sense? KenG.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Nov 15, 2009, 03:05 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
I'm looking for a program that allows me to fly about any type of plane I want - I prefer electric powered, molded. Everyone should get a similar launch height, I'll use a 200m altitude cut off device. Rules (such as really tight landing circles - you can't dork an electric) should not favor one type of plane over another.

I also want to fly when and where I want. My job and family schedule does not allow me to drive long distances to contests or even winch friendly fields.

I want a challenge that is not overly frustrating, but is difficult and will take me several years.

I don't car one way or the other what others think about disposable ARFs or the good old days of wooden sailplanes - it has nothing to do with this.

Come up with a program that meets my needs and I'm in. Otherwise I think I'll publish my own.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:53 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
I never could see the need for landing points. If you can hit the same field you took off from, fair enough! If landings are used to thin out the top ten contestants, that is one thing, but we are not competing- are we?I reckon for a self imposed test a one metre circle is as sharp as we need to get to prove we have control over our models. Ken G.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang