SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 08:26 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2motheus View Post
Like Dennis, I tried to apprehend the little bit of sunshine that came through Michigan yesterday. I got out with my son yesterday mid-afternoon. My goal was to get him moving beyond his copper landing tasks. He got an 8:30 with his little 48" 2x4, so his first 5-min TD flight is done! He did a great job staying with the soft bubble he found, and followed it to the limits of vision. He was doing great with keeping the turns smooth and tight.

Tim
Congrats Tim and a special congrats to your son. Well done indeed! Keep it up mate.
I flew a DLG contest on Saturday and salvaged a 4th place. Had a tree landing on the way home in Round 6 which pretty well finished my chances in the contest.
After the DLG contest I set up a winch and practiced landings for next weekends Unlimited contest. Flew some as 10 min tasks and some flights as 3 min landing drill.
I kept a record of my results flying my Sharon Pro and using a 100 point tape. (2.5 inches per point I think).
81, 94, 86, 93, 91, 81, 90, 73, 95, 74, 89, 96.
My closest landing was 10 inches from the spot. My furthest 65" away. A rather disappointing couple of hours actually. I must get much better than this as I was really trying to get within 9" every time.
I have a lot of practice ahead of me if I am ever to be confident in performing to the SSP expert level of 9" from the spot every single flight or start the task all over again.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2009, 11:27 AM
SoarNut
United States, MI, Kentwood
Joined Apr 2005
374 Posts
That's great Tim, did you guys run into monster lift? This was actually some of the best thermal activity all year. I got the two fifteens in and John W got in a 1 hour LSF in the same monster thermal. After a while the sky was raining corn leaves and parts. Very strange!

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2motheus View Post
Like Dennis, I tried to apprehend the little bit of sunshine that came through Michigan yesterday. I got out with my son yesterday mid-afternoon. My goal was to get him moving beyond his copper landing tasks. He got an 8:30 with his little 48" 2x4, so his first 5-min TD flight is done! He did a great job staying with the soft bubble he found, and followed it to the limits of vision. He was doing great with keeping the turns smooth and tight.

Tim
spinolio is offline Find More Posts by spinolio
Old Nov 02, 2009, 02:52 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Just think how much better you're going to do in contests after the SSP whips you into shape.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Nov 02, 2009, 04:45 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
566 Posts
An hour in the same thermal?! There must be a moldy bean field over there.

No - we didn't see anything like that. It was after 3:00 before we started flying, so it was pretty calm. In fact, I don't think Caleb got much above launch height during the entire 8 1/2 minute flight.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinolio View Post
That's great Tim, did you guys run into monster lift? This was actually some of the best thermal activity all year. I got the two fifteens in and John W got in a 1 hour LSF in the same monster thermal. After a while the sky was raining corn leaves and parts. Very strange!

Dennis
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Nov 04, 2009, 07:06 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Contest style task:
intermediate:(Silver) 3-task sets of 3 rounds each, 75% of total possible score
advanced:(Gold) 3-task sets of 4 rounds each, 80% of total possible score
expert:(Platinum) 3-task sets of 5 rounds each, 90% of total possible score

1 point a second, -1 point a second for every minute over time and 1 point per inch for a landing. 100 points maximum for landing. Anything over 100" landing, no score.

So then, Silver Level will have:
3 - task sets consisting of 3 - 7 minute rounds.
420 flight points + 100 landing points = 520 x 3 flights = 1560
75% of total possible score = 1170 points to clear task

3 - task sets consisting of 3 - 10 minute rounds.
600 flight points + 100 landing points = 700 x 3 =2100
75% of total possible score = 1575 points to clear task

Does that all make sense? Everyone agree? If so, I'm writing it in and we can move on to Gold Level. There's only 2 months to have the rest of the program complete. If we can agree on Silver, then there's only two more levels to create and the propgram is done.
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:14 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
Contest style task:

1 point a second, -1 point a second for every minute over time and 1 point per inch for a landing. 100 points maximum for landing. Anything over 100" landing, no score.

Does that all make sense? Everyone agree? If so, I'm writing it in and we can move on to Gold Level. There's only 2 months to have the rest of the program complete. If we can agree on Silver, then there's only two more levels to create and the propgram is done.
I like it.... Good way to improve your flying skills.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is online now Find More Posts by Radian
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:40 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Contest style task:

I like this a lot!!! We are bound to turn out some VERY good pilots that will hold their own should they decide/find time/find funds to join the contest part of soaring.

Joe
SSP VP
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:41 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
I like it Steve. I say you put it in and wrap up the Silver requirements.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:48 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Tom, Gordon,Tony and Jim? What do you guys think?
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:02 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
As I read this we will fly a total of 18 flight's fot the contest style task's? (9 at 7 minute's and 9 at 10 minute's).

Iregardless, I think we should have an actual vote by the current active member's,just to make it hard for some one to come in later and say it's not what they(WE)need. and to keep it legal as we are a SIG .

My vote as the proposal as written, is YES.

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Nov 04, 2009, 10:21 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
Re: Silver requirments

Quote:
Contest style task:

I think this is an admirable outcome for some "contest style" tasks for the SSP. Couldn't have done any better if I tried. No worries to get this task set done AND achievable AND excellent practice for improving contest scores for any pilot.
The problems I have are still:
(a) The Huge total amount of airtime required for the entire Silver Level (40+ hours of successful TD flights) is not helpful in the overall image of the SSP program.
(b) The degree of difficulty proposed for advanced and expert in these tasks is not as high as it could be. (You could make it harder than your proposal.) i.e.
Quote:
intermediateSilver) 3-task sets of 3 rounds each, 75% of total possible score
advancedGold) 3-task sets of 4 rounds each, 80% of total possible score
expertPlatinum) 3-task sets of 5 rounds each, 90% of total possible score
I think if you do the sums you'll figure that 85% of perfect for Gold and 95% of perfect for platinum is do-able for this style of task set.

Getting back to my main gripe. - The number of flights/repetitions/air-time required to pass Silver. 40 hours of airtime is more than most peolple who join this hobby will fly in their life. Many struggle just to get past 10 mins and 20 mins in one flight. Few pilots other than seasoned campaigners have ever flown continulosly for an hour. You put dozens of these types of extended duration flights together in one level (especially a low level like Silver) and you will repel most of the people you are trying to attract to the program.
It is simply so large a jump from Bronze to Silver it is going to stop participation for most. With all the future levels proposed there is ample opportunity to make this program long and hard in it's entirety - without making one of the first levels so difficult to pass that the rest of the program is wasted.

In case you haven't already noticed there was a huge flurry of interested participants in this program when it was 1st proposed by the LSF. Almost that entire group of contributors to the RSCE discussions on this subject have gone to ground. Most are not participating here. Why? We need to be "Inclusive" with the design of the program. Include as many participants as possible. All things that will scare them away should be avoided. Therefore the program needs to be perceived as do-able. As the Silver level is written now it makes the program look like it will never be done (without any of us even seeing what the gold or platinum levels bring.) Few people on Gods earth will ever in their lifetime complete Silver Level as it stands. It's just way too much - for no good reason that I have heard.

I sincerely don't want to be a "stick in the mud" here. I personally will attempt the program no matter how it turns out because I want structure in my flying practice. So to answer your question Steve - No I have not given up. (Others have though.) The problem is this extreme level of recorded airtime is neither attractive or sellable as something fun to do. I have not spoken to a single soul outside of this discussion who thinks that the levels as written are a worthwhile program. I don't feel I can sell it to anyone - (and my occupation is a sales trainer.) The small handful of people participating here in this discussion is not representative of the mainstream soaring flyers that wanted a program like this. I am in favour of any sort of vote but it doesn't mean much unless you get enough people to the poll.
Once again - thats my 2 cents worth. Hope it is not falling on deaf ears because I really want to see this program succeed.
Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aussief3b; Nov 04, 2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:22 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Here's my last proposal. A measly 26 hrs of flight time + plus landings. Plus, requirements for contest style to go to 85% and 95% later. What this is going to cause is probably a change the Titanium level if we keep going. Otherwise this program is going to just be fodder for the, "I told you I could do this in a month or two" crowd. My intent wasn't to make a "second best program". In fact, quite the opposite. I wanted it to be the hardest program. I'm trying to do my best to please all that I can. I'm to the point I'm not too happy with it though. At what point should we expect people to actually put in some time and do some flying? When do we stop treating this like it's a beginners program? Maybe that's the problem. Maybe I should have a beginners program as well. Then I could have a beginners program (Ed Anderson had a good proposal for one), a slope program, a sportsman's program and then if you decide to compete you could join the LSF. Now if all of those fell under one roof at some point we would have a true SIG for soaring, not just individual groups. Maybe it's time I talk to the LSF board again. After all look what happened the last time I asked a simple question. The SSP was born. Maybe I should start my own competition program and change our name to the International Soaring Society.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Nov 19, 2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:52 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Contest style task:

Steve,
Why did you remove this excellent task set you had proposed. Haven't seen anybody objecting to it - rather everyone so far likes it???? I think the rest of your proposed Version 4 is headed in the right direction though. Something people can see themselves getting through sometime next decade.
By the time you combine the flight time of Bronze as it is, Silver as in Version 4 and Gold and Platinum you could easily have over 100 hours of successful recorded flight time in this program. That will represent many, many times that which is required to complete the current LSF program. I call that harder by multiples than the current LSF program. No need to make it impossible.
Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:42 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I didn't. It's right where it always was. Just only 2 "contests" per set as opposed to 3. You wanted to see less flight time. By cutting one off of each set I dropped a total of 51 minutes just from the contest style task sets.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:52 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,203 Posts
Best tip I have every gotten from the guys tha kick my butt all the time is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Practice is repetition, ask any of the Pro Sports folks. How many laps do the go fast turn left boys put in?? Thousands of laps I am sure, tha is why they are good enoough to make the 43 car field, some are so good they are always at the front of the pack when the flag drops to start and the checkered drops to proclaim the winner.

Joe
VP SSP
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler