HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:38 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler
Well Steve I bet you have been wondering if I had seen this and if I would chime in, CHIMING!!
It is looking very good and as has been said there is still some treaking to do so keep up the good work.
I will start working on a web page for the SSP as a small bit of help.

Joe
Thanks Joe

Soar Dude
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2009, 10:06 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
How about a task that involves assessing conditions.. I'm thinking max times of 15, 30, and 45 min during a week long window. Pick your max goal time before your first flight. If you set out to make the day your 30 min goal and fail then you have to try for one of the other goals the next time out. First time you make it though all 3 in a week you have completed the task.

What ya think?
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old Apr 06, 2009, 12:01 PM
It Could Be Worse
avondale, az
Joined Dec 2007
67 Posts
Any way for e-powered to participate - i.e. one motor run per flight?
ChrisOlson is offline Find More Posts by ChrisOlson
Old Apr 06, 2009, 12:18 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
Steve, why have levels at all? Why not just have badges or stars or something?

For example, the XC badges don't have any ladder. You don't have to fly 10 miles before you can fly 20, or 100, or whatever. Same with Boy Scout merit badges -- you don't have to get map-reading before you can get canoeing, etc.

Any new anything faces a marketing challenge to differentiate itself from the established market leader. If you concoct something that people who are already pursuing the LSF program can do alongside it, rather than positioning it as an alternative, you might get wider acceptance.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep
Old Apr 06, 2009, 12:48 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOlson
Any way for e-powered to participate - i.e. one motor run per flight?
I agree. With all of the e-powered gliders these days it would be great to find a way to incorperate them into the program. I would love to try this program with my Pulsar as it is, without a doubt, my best glider, but it is also e-powered.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Apr 06, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:10 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,188 Posts
I think the growing popularity of DLG/SAL and e-gliders are both areas that could be addressed, but I have to confess that I don't really have any good ideas how to go about that, being too new to the sport. LMR (limited motor run) seems to be the obvious answer to e-gliders, but I'm not sure how that is currently accomplished (if at all) or how it should be addressed.
Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1 Posts
I am just getting started in this hobby and have read most of the posts about this and the related thread. I have no interest in the LSF format for a variety of reasons and the Sportsman thing has some appeal. Having accomplished not even one flight yet, I can't really comment on tasks. One thing I have thought would be appropriate would be to require some type of documented effort to show others the hobby being a requirement Kids/adults whatever but family members wouldn't count. Just fun flys. Sorta like the take the kid fishing thing. I go to a few kite festivals each yr and carry a few cheap plastic kites with the line and stuff to give away to kids that don't have a kite. Looking out later and seeing a couple of kids out there having fun makes it more fun for me. I appreciate the effort and thoughts being put forth here.
KevinP2 is offline Find More Posts by KevinP2
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:42 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP2
One thing I have thought would be appropriate would be to require some type of documented effort to show others the hobby being a requirement Kids/adults whatever but family members wouldn't count. Just fun flys. Sorta like the take the kid fishing thing.
I noticed the CSS Diamond Level has a requirement of getting 5 other people to join. http://www.crcss.org/Diamond%20Level.htm
To tell you the truth, I'd be very uninterested in having that as a requirement. Some people are good cheerleaders and salespeople. I am NOT one of them. That being said, having some sort of recognition for those people who do bring new people to the sport might be something else to consider. But I just don't see it as having anything to do with flying ability.
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Apr 06, 2009, 02:00 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecormier
Is it possible to do a roll in an RES ship?
\

Absolutely. My Topaz is quite nimble, you would never know it doesn't have ailerons to see it roll.
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Apr 06, 2009, 02:09 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
I like the badge idea presented earlier... have different badges for the different disiplines ie: thermal, slope, X-country, etc
1-26 Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 1-26 Flyer
Old Apr 06, 2009, 04:40 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
The idea of badges would require money to buy them and a way to distribute and show them. I"M NOT WEARING A SASH! Also, if you go somewhere and someone wants to know how you're doing. You have to sit and list it all as opposed to just saying I'm a silver member or gold member. I know this is a non-competition based program. However, at some point some of us may compete. That being said, it's the same issue. Guy shows up to a competition or fun fly for that matter and asks what it looks like. Well there's some level IV's, a couple of LV's and some silver and gold guys as well. As opposed to there's some guys over there with some badges on their hats. Does that make sense? It's a way to have instant recognition.

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

I would love to find a way to get E-gliders involved. Give me some ideas on how to make it work. Time won't work as some would call "foul" do to using massive amounts of power to gain extra launch height and such. Altitude is about impossible to do. The problem with a lot of things and this is one of them, is finding a way to make it a level playing field and easy to do at the same time. If there's a solution I'm for it. I would like to add an E-Ava to my hanger or maybe electrify my Spirit 100.
************************************************** ************************************************** *******
HLG, SAL and DLG are a bit easier to incorporate. True some guys can throw higher/farther than others but it's still limited enough to make it work, IMHO.
************************************************** ************************************************** *******
Assessing conditions idea: Interesting to me as I don't work a 9-5. Guys that have a job may not be as interested. Having enough time in a week or enough good weather (that could be an issue here) could make that difficult at best for a lot of people. We're not setting it aside yet though. Let's hear from others on that one. Chime in non-retired, kids at home still, weather challenged people.
************************************************** ************************************************** *********
Bringing people into the hobby. I'm way reclusive so for me, EEEEK! Besides that really has nothing to do with actual flying. To me that's more of a social thing.
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
Finally: The deadline for COPPER LEVEL is 6:00 PM EST 4-9-09. I want it ready for the holiday weekend. If I don't hear from some slope guys on a better plan for copper level soon, I'm freezing it in place for the next 6 months to a year before any revisions are made to it. Constant changes will not help the program grow. There's a lot of people asking for a date because they don't want to start and have changes made as soon as they get started and I don't blame them.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********
Lastly: Does anyone have a decent laptop for sale? Must have WI-FI. My wife's going to kick me in the nads if I don't let her have computer time for her gaming. I've been sucking up all of the time trying to answer e-mails, PM's and this thread. I'm starting to get the "evil eye".
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Last edited by Steve Boone; Apr 07, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:22 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
Here's a slope task:

1 minute of inverted flight.

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 06, 2009, 09:44 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,249 Posts
Good one Target. Could progress up in time with the higher levels.

I think what you have to get started is good. Challenging enough for beginners but with attainable goals.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:21 AM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
Take a look at what the full scale guys do... might give you some ideas. http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=5361749529

I like what target said.. inverted flight sure is more interesting than just flying around for duration especially for level 2
1-26 Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 1-26 Flyer
Old Apr 07, 2009, 03:36 AM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Assessing conditions: I guess there wouldn't have to be a window at all. Just make sure you use consecutive outings. Max times could be debated too.

Another duration idea.Get out the Lead... Factor in prevailing wind speed for a given max flight. First goal: 30 min winds <10 mph, second 30 min in 10-15, final goal 30 min in 15-20 mph winds. Slopeing off anything, camber changing, and utilizing motor vehicles wouldn't be permitted ( flying must be from a fixed position.. no truck rides)
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Last edited by wingsnapper; Apr 12, 2009 at 12:33 AM.