HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 06:36 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Did anybody fly this weekend? I managed a few hand tosses to check the c of g on my new Vista. If this weather holds I may be tempted to unroll the Hi-start!
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:38 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Wind and rain here. Tomorrow looks promising but I have wood to split and work to do. Winter is coming fast. I hate winter! Re-doing the shop as well to make room for the new router table and band saw. Build season is coming as well.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:53 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Sounds like you are going to do some serious woodwork. I envy you. A few years back when I had a shop,I made earlt American pine furniture. All my three kids have pine hutches, sugar bins and clocks. Wish I could still do it
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:55 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knormang View Post
Did anybody fly this weekend? I managed a few hand tosses to check the c of g on my new Vista. If this weather holds I may be tempted to unroll the Hi-start!
Of course....

Did my 30minute TD with 3m Landing.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Nov 01, 2009, 01:17 AM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Getting back to Silver. Can we vote on Ver. 3?

I would like to see the contest style task's be kept to the simple point/second with 100point max landing score. Contest flyer's will do the math anyway and us non-contest type's have no requirement for it.

How about 3 flight's of 10 minute's(600 each +100 landing) for a total of 2100 point's with a minimum score of 1575 (75%)

And 3 flight's of 15 minute's(900 each +100 landing) for a total of 3000 point's with a minimum score of 2250 (75%)

What say YE ALL ?

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Nov 01, 2009, 06:06 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I vote yes. Should we raise the % of total score for the advanced levels to say 80% for intermediate, 85% advanced and 90% for expert? Or basic and intermediate 75%, advanced and expert 85%?
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:16 AM
SoarNut
United States, MI, Kentwood
Joined Apr 2005
374 Posts
Heading out today to try and get some 15 minutes flights. Conditions are pretty sketchy, 47 degrees, 5-10 winds and cloudy. It going to be a great day to fly! Aren't they all?
spinolio is offline Find More Posts by spinolio
Old Nov 01, 2009, 11:08 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
I vote yes. Should we raise the % of total score for the advanced levels to say 80% for intermediate, 85% advanced and 90% for expert? Or basic and intermediate 75%, advanced and expert 85%?
Agreed with a few additional points. Rounds are usually 6 to 10 minutes... A fifteen minute round really wouldn't gain anything. If the air is good enough for 10 minutes it is good enough for 15...

Also... On the points..... It's easiest to do 1 point per second with additional one point per inch on the landing (up to 100) BUT you must include the reduction of points for every second OVER the target time. This is very important! This is precision flying!

Example: If you have an 8 minute round with a 100 inch landing tape. and you fly for 7min 42 sec with a landing of 60 points (40" from perfect) you would score: 522. If you flew 8min 18seconds and a landing of 60 points you would also score 522.

The best way to ramp up the practice and skill level is to set 5 rounds of 8 minutes with a percentage of possible total.

5 perfect rounds would be 2900 points. So set a requirement of 5 8 minute rounds with a total of 2175... (75%)

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Old Nov 01, 2009, 02:42 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Rats, I forgot to add in the reduction of points for over target time. 5 flight's(round's)of 8 minute's work's for me. can we put in a 30 minute delay between round's, to simulate haveing to wait for other fliyer's doing their round's? This will make doing each task ( 5 round's)take 2.6 hour's, easy done on a fair thermal day.
75% to 80% to 85% to 90% is a good challenge but do-able for sure
My vote is yes
Ken
SSP #6
Old Nov 01, 2009, 05:37 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
748 Posts
Scientific basis?

To quote an earlier post:
" Rounds are usually 6 to 10 minutes... A fifteen minute round really wouldn't gain anything. If the air is good enough for 10 minutes it is good enough for 15... "
Hm.. I'd like to see the data from which that conclusion was derived. As CD of the NATS 2 meter event a couple of years ago, I set the task at 10 minutes. During one round, a few of the flight groups were won with maxes. However, during that same round, a former World Champ bested his group with a 2:38. That, dear readers, is why we fly man-on-man. By the way, a CD's selections of task times are often influenced by factors other than "the air". The number of entrants, available launch equipment, and overall skill levels come into play in making the decision. And yes, some CD's do change the task time from round to round.

May I also point out that 15 minute rounds are used in the final flyoff of F3J events. And, while pointing at things, may I point out that the discipline of proposed contest-like flight requirements of the SSAP Program will, in time, raise the skill level of R/C soaring's population.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Nov 01, 2009, 06:26 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck View Post
To quote an earlier post:
" Hm.. I'd like to see the data from which that conclusion was derived. As CD of the NATS 2 meter event a couple of years ago, I set the task at 10 minutes. During one round, a few of the flight groups were won with maxes. However, during that same round, a former World Champ bested his group with a 2:38. That, dear readers, is why we fly man-on-man. ......And, while pointing at things, may I point out that the discipline of proposed contest-like flight requirements of the SSAP Program will, in time, raise the skill level of R/C soaring's population.
Thanks for the input Jim. My point is merely my opinion and I feel your experience supports my statement. If the round was 10 minutes and "a few of the flight groups were won with maxes" then I'm sure those same flyers could also have made 15.... The World Champ who bested his group with a 2:38 did so when the air probably would not support a 10 minute round much less a 15 minute round. If it would I'm sure he would have found it.

What I want to say is... If the air is good enough for a 10 minute round then you can get high enough to not only make your 10 minutes but if you had to you could stick it out for 15...

In any competition that I have been in that had 10 minutes rounds... I rarely felt I had to "scratch out" the 10 minutes... I either made it easily or it wasn't going to happen at all..... If these were 15 minutes rounds then my feelings are even more so....

Sure there will always be the exception. But in that vein, why not consider 20 or 30 minutes rounds. Not appealing at least to me. Personally I prefer the 7 to 10 minute rounds. Long enough to be a challenge most of the time and yet short enough to promote improved flying as you try to eek out that last minute or two..... (How many of you contest flyers remember that great round where you were down low with more then 5 minutes left but you managed to find a tiny thermal and you flew it as smooth as possible to keep floating just above the treeline.... Only to do so for your last five minutes and make your time... THAT you remember... The times you specked out and found yourself diving for the deck with 2 minutes left??? Yeah... Fun but not the thing of memories...)

Whatever the time is. Perfect rounds are VERY hard to do. Striving to achieve them is a great path to being a better flyer.

Just my opinion.

Thanks

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:17 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
As always here is my humble opinion. If the "competition round style" task is going to be adopted then it makes sense to me to make it similar to an actual contest. I don't see where practicing a 30 minute round will make one any better than doing a 10 minute one. Also remember the skill set is in the landing on time and with precision, not staying aloft for 30 minutes. There is already plenty of chances to practice the long flight skill within the program.

If it is agreed that this skill set will be incorporated into Silver then i would vote for 6, 8 and 10 minute rounds and make the total point targets higher as the skill get harder.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:25 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Silver ver.3 as written has a 7 minute and a 10 minute task set of 3 flight's each. 5 flight's of 8 minute's is a simple rewrite. Seeing as this is the first level with this type of task set, we need to keep it some what simple.

If there are no other issue's can we get this level in the book's? We still have 2 more that we need to get working on.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:28 PM
SoarNut
United States, MI, Kentwood
Joined Apr 2005
374 Posts
I just had a thought while out flying today. It can be a dangerous thing.

What about doing a landing ladder, similar to a "timed" ladder but instead landing in smaller and smaller circles. Start at 3 meters, then 2 meters, then 1 meter, etc. I don't think it should get in the millimeter realm though.

Just a thought.

Got my 15's in today. Tried for thirty, but the clouds came in and shut down the lift. Good flying day for November in MI. Two bald eagles joined us for a while, very nice...

Dennis
WMSS
spinolio is offline Find More Posts by spinolio
Old Nov 02, 2009, 07:57 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Like Dennis, I tried to apprehend the little bit of sunshine that came through Michigan yesterday. I got out with my son yesterday mid-afternoon. My goal was to get him moving beyond his copper landing tasks. He got an 8:30 with his little 48" 2x4, so his first 5-min TD flight is done! He did a great job staying with the soft bubble he found, and followed it to the limits of vision. He was doing great with keeping the turns smooth and tight.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus