HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:42 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
WOW!!! That's one sweet jacket! You definately going to be stylin' at the field.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2009, 02:14 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,550 Posts
Completed Copper today.

Hey guys.
Finally had time on my hands and perfect thermalling weather.
The day was zero to 5mph wind and 90 degrees by noon. Bit hot
to be standing around in the sun but with little wind, the drift was almost nill at times. I was flying my Sharon today so it was great to be able to move around a lot to check out different areas for better air.
Managed a 17 minute and 2ft landing to complete the 15 minute tasks first. Then stayed in one thermal (or at least flew in the same vicinity in large circles) for the entire flight to get the first of two 30 minute TD flights. The air was very bouyant once you were up around 1200 feet or higher. Getting up there proved to be a lot more difficult on the second 30 minute flight with two 10 minute rides not getting me a lot better than launch height but a least burning the clock. Mickey Nowell did a bit of spotting in the last 10 minutes to finally get me in good air with a bunch of buzzards to easily get the time. Mickey is a DLG flier and doing very well. I'm hoping he may begin the SSP program with his hand launch to give him some objectives when he flys. Looking forward to getting my Bronze level form and getting started on that now. My Copper level form is in the mail Steve.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aussief3b; Oct 11, 2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:37 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Gordon: Congratulations! I'll be watching for your form.
Today was full auto day here. So lots of shooting and no flying. Pumpkins and watermelons were slaughtered by the truck load. Next will be sniper day where I'll be defending last years title.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:26 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
90*f by NOON!!! Got up to 20*f with snow here.

Congrate's on getting Copper done.

Ken
SSP#6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:19 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
550 Posts
Good job, Gordon!

Send some of that weather up here! I've been staring at my last 30-minute flight for two weeks now... I finally decided to resort to slope to get my times. Autumn and winter in Michigan are far more likely to create slope lift than thermal.

I found a spot that will work... but the wind died this afternoon after 18 minutes. Not even the DLG would stay up, but it's a great tool for the job.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:31 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Yes, you may do 1 of each for the 30 minute. Not a problem. I have also changed the first post to clearify that the G&R and XC in Bronze are TD flights.
************************************************** ************************************************** *************
WEBSITE: The website will be down in the near future for a few hours. The new web page will be being installed. The new page has an all new look and there will be so much more we can do with it. You're going to like this new version!
Last edited by Steve Boone; Oct 12, 2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:03 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Love the new website . One point tho, in the application text, you state to send the following info without saying what info is being asked for.

Other than that it looks VERY professional.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:34 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Don't worry, it's not even close to finished yet. The application will be a form shortly to make things easier for both applicants and staff. Right now the guy building it is trying to just get the old info back up as he finishes the new stuff. He's doing a really great job!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:37 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Decal and Membership card arrived today. WE are in the "Big League" now darling.
Any chance of you southern guy's sending up some extra warm air,so we can get rid of this snow?

Ken
SSP #6
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:42 PM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
258 Posts
Ken, how far south do i gotta be? it's not very warm here in Missouri Brrrrrr well at least we don't have any snow Yet!. Doesn't look like there will be any flying done in here in the near future...nothin but rain.

Steve SSP#1
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Oct 13, 2009, 05:42 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Glad I'm not alone. We may not be able to thermal too long but the slope lift is good(kinda fun flying in the UPWARD falling snow),just need to keep the battery's and your butt warm .

Ken
SSP #6
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:52 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
675 Posts
Looked over the new website. Looks very nice.

Advice from someone who has done a few of these. Make a "checklist" of the key information you want to ensure the website provides. It is very easy to get caught up in the "creation" and forget some content.

Example: Couldn't find the information on the "A1" and "A2" aerobatic classification requirements for the slope tasks. I remember them being in the prior site.

I'm looking forward to starting my Copper tasks this Saturday. While the rest of the "north" is getting colder, I'll be working on both TD and Slope tasks in warm south Florida all winter!

Yes, I know I'm rubbing it in a little... But hey for all you guys up north, think of it this way... At least you get a "building season"

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Oct 13, 2009, 09:51 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Some of the pages are simply not re-done yet. The site should be done in a few days. There's always a snag or two to slow things down. For instance, the application form wasn't working correctly. I think that is now fixed. We still have the rest of the requirements to do, the gallery, and I almost have the next level (Silver) ready to add. Lots of work to go. It is looking nice though.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:39 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
UPDATES: The web site is up and running. I've been working hard to get stuff updated as soon as it's being re-done by the web guy. The requirements page is almost finished. As soon as Joe proof-reads it for me I'll finish posting the last of it's content. I need to have Dennis (web guy) add the share options to the application form and maybe a comment section. Then that will be done.
SILVER LEVEL is being proofed by Joe as well. I like it, now I just need to see if he's ok with it or thinks it needs to go up another notch. It's expansive to say the least. I promised this program would be long and challenging, I think I've accomplished that in Silver.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:31 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
550 Posts
Denied again!

Earlier this week I took the DLG out to a recently-discovered local slope. The wind was not quite as forecast. The hill has a corner shape that had the wind alternating between two small slopes. Add to that spotty sunshine creating strong upstream thermals, and I had not only shifting direction, but large intervals of no wind at all.

So the best I could muster in my chase for my final 30-minute flight for Copper - was 22 minutes.

It was still a great way to spend a lunchbreak! I also met a local resident who may end up joining our fraternity of wind-chasers.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus