HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:11 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Newest member: L-Spatz is now member #6. Congratulations, Ken! I hope you enjoy Bronze Level. I'll be getting your membership card and free decal in the mail and on it's way.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2009, 12:27 AM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Thanks Steve. I hope the added fund's will help to cover a fair number of decal's/member card's.

We had a light dusting of SNOW on the job site this morning,Yup the season's are "a changin".

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:17 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
The donation is much apreciated. Thank you. I mailed out your card and decal yesterday. Please let me know when it arrives. I'm interested in how long it takes to get there. We had a hard frost last night as well. I HATE winter! Oh well, I guess it's time to prepare for building season. Plus it will give me time to complete the SSP program.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:56 AM
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
188 Posts
new Aspirant

Thanks Steve, I'm proud to be Aspirant #12.......I hope to get started on the program real soon......(maybe saturday if not then at the TNT in Dallas).

Kevin O'Dell
LSF 6632 Level ll
AMA 84562
n0irw is offline Find More Posts by n0irw
Old Oct 01, 2009, 09:04 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
The donation is much apreciated. Thank you. I mailed out your card and decal yesterday. Please let me know when it arrives. I'm interested in how long it takes to get there. We had a hard frost last night as well. I HATE winter! Oh well, I guess it's time to prepare for building season. Plus it will give me time to complete the SSP program.
Maybe you should get "The Chest" done first Steve
I am having a bit of trouble with the web site, it does not want to open on my desktop (98 SE), it could be settings, it could be the web page extesion (.alb) I am working on it.
Still have not glued the canopy to my forehead, I mean Super Esprit but I do have the Osprey wing about repaired.
Now we all know that the RC Groups has a clause about nasty language, somebody is going to get our thread reported, using that nasty four letter word that starts with "s" and ends with "w"

Joe
Who is looking at another weekend without flying
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Oct 01, 2009, 01:13 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
For those of you who are lost about now. I built a blanket chest for my daughter for last Christmas. I have been side tracked with life and SSP stuff and have yet to finish it for her. I have been working this week to remedy that. It just has to be sanded a couple of more times and finished.

************************************************** ************************************************** **********
Joe: Check your e-mail before you bother working any more on the web site. I've spent more of my hard earned cash and bought us a web domain name and host site space as well. I figured why not, I'm already going broke.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:24 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
566 Posts
Thanks to the SSP, let me boast a bit

Thanks to the SSP I'm working harder than before to fly with a purpose and I'm working harder to make each flight count, either for learning something or for completing a task.
Below is a graph of a flying session this afternoon. The weather looked great earlier in the day but a non-cumulus layer was forming. I was flying by myself with an old DLG, complete with a big ZLog lump taped under one wing.
With the first throw, things looked promising, but for the first 20 minutes I hardly got above launch height and my best two flights were only 3 minutes. I then got into something better - still just over 10 minutes. The lift didn't really get easier "up high" and it seemed to disappear around 500 feet.
Three launches later I found another good ride, but again, it gave out and I was coming down fast. I thought my chances for achieving the task were gone, but some tight/desperate turns at 40 feet got me headed up again toward the 500 foot ceiling.
Another save, not quite as low as the first, got me past the 15-minute mark! I was hoping for 30 minutes, but ended up with 22:35. Maximum measured altitude was 507 feet.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Last edited by 2motheus; Oct 02, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:38 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2motheus
Thanks to the SSP I'm working harder than before to fly with a purpose and I'm working harder to make each flight count, either for learning something or for completing a task. .
Great work Tim,
What an awesome day. You are indeed my hero for doing these tasks with a DLG. My hat is off to you sir.
I launched my Super Ava around 6:30pm three times to try to get 15 minutes or 30 and my longest flight was 8:30 and the highest I got was launch height.
No tasks accomplished today.
I did get a new flyer on the winch for the 1st time though.
He flew his new Spirit four times off the winch and took it home in one piece.
I am proud of him.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:31 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Go Tim go! Looks like you had a great day of flying. Using a DLG, now that's the spirit! Don't forget to print that chart and label it and the task it goes with so you can send it with the form.
Gordon: You still did better than me. We're in our sour, winter is a comin' mode here. Cool, rainy and stuck in the house. You even got to start a new guy on his way. I'm envious of all three of you guys.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 09:02 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
NEWS: I've been working on the new web site. www.sportsmanssoaringprogram.com (Can't wait for Joe to take over, if he ever gets a break at work) I've got it up and trying to get all of the bugs out. So if anyone has a chance, drop by the new site and let me know what you think. It's very basic so be kind, web design isn't my forte. I'm hoping to figure out how to make the application a form to make sign up easier. Bear with me as it's a lot to figure out. Please use the e-mail link on the site to let me know if you found any problems so as not to clutter up this thread. Thanks for your help. -Steve-
************************************************** ************************************************** ********
On a personal note. There's been no flying here for a while now. The weather is terrible! Nothing but wind and rain. Hopefully before snow hits we can get back out.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 11:54 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
Hey Steve,
You need to correct the Copper Level requirements on the new website. The times required and the number of flights are not correct for Copper Level (as per Post 1 on this thread) and as per my Copper Form. Looking good otherwise mate.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2009, 12:00 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
No matter how hard I try, I still screw up. Thanks for catching the error. It is now fixed. ( and all junk versions are deleted from my computer) Just for helping out I'm sending you a free decal. Next time I'm specked out I hope you're around. I could use a good set of eyes! I better not make this a habit though or those 250 decals will be gone in a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:37 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
NEWS: Sometimes you just have to ask for help. I've been trying to get the web site working. It does fine in some browsers and not so well in others. I asked for some assistance and what I got was someone willing to build the new site for me and help me learn how to work it. It should make for an even better site. I'm not sure how long it will take but it should be worth it. Well at least if I can wrap my head around the "new" way of doing things. It's getting harder the older I get to keep up. It's been a lot of work and the program has come far in just a measily 8 months since this idea started forming in my head. I would once again like to thank everyone for their understanding and support. Also, in case anyone is interested, we now have 44 people paticipating in the program from 3 countries.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 04:39 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
44!! way cool. We may hit 100 well before the end of the year. It won't be long before you will have to count the country's we are NOT in.
It will be a big help to have someone "website" savy to make the website easyer.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:25 AM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Now were talking WAY COOL

Jacket is done and I must say it is one hell of a way to stand out in a mall full of people. It has 11 color's to it Can't wait till my fellow "full size" sailplane pilot's see it.

Only thing is they changed the color of the lettering from silver to brown to match the arm's and didn't tell me. It looks very good, just would of been nice to been asked first.

Ken
SSP #6