SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 02:32 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Ok, I made more than one mistake on the form yesterday. That will teach me not to rush. Please check the revisions and see if they're ok with everyone. I really want to get it finallized and get started on level two.
************************************************** ************************************************** *******
Ok, you've all swayed me to your side on the level thing. So let's go with the metals nomenclature. Copper, bronze, silver, gold, platinum, titanium ok?
************************************************** ************************************************** ********
Areobatics sound like fun but i would like to keep this so that anyone with a RE ship could do it. Now adding aerobatics to the slope stuff to keep it challenging is more likely. Question from a non-sloper: How common are re slopers? Will having aerobatics have an adverse affect on getting slopers interested? Or maybe just put aerobatics in the last level.
************************************************** ************************************************** ********
Ladders I think would be a good thing in the last two or three levels. It would add to the diversity of the program. I had a guy I fly with last year who competes run me through a couple of timed flights and it was fun. I hate leaving lift behind to land but it did make for something new and interesting to do. It also made for a good way to rattle your nerves and make you think. I was doing this with a RE ship. Definately a challenge!
************************************************** ************************************************** *******
As for not wanting to mention the LSF. It's more as to not bring the arguments from the other thread here so we can focus on this program. It in no way is meant to slight what they do. I'm a LSF member. I find it lacking for MY circumstances and I (as well as others) wanted something non-competition based to do. We asked them for their help and the other thread will show you what happened. By doing this program people won't have to choose between sportsman or competition. They will be able to do both. 'nuff said.
************************************************** ************************************************** ******
I just want to once again say thanks for everyone's input and help. Thom has sent me something rather cool. I'm waiting for his ok to share it with everyone. I would like to ask once again also, can we focus on completing level 1 so we can get this off the ground? Once aproved by the masses I would like to leave it for 6 months to a year before we make further changes. I don't want it to change so often that people don't want to start and then lose interest. There's no reason the levels have to be "more of the same". In fact, the more diversified they are I think the more fun the program will be. IMHO, I think level one is good as it stands now for a starting point to the program. With landing skills, 5, 15 & 30 minute TD tasks and 15, 30 & 45 minute slope tasks.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:09 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
wow I just read the level 1 tasks and I don't know about the 45 hour slope flight. might be fun but that should be for level 5.
1-26 Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 1-26 Flyer
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:12 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
RES slopers... not very common... most slope guys are all about areobatics and going fast.
1-26 Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 1-26 Flyer
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:28 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by: 1-26 Flyer
RES slopers... not very common... most slope guys are all about areobatics and going fast.
I had hoped you would say that. The slope stuff is killing me! Give me a fair, but tough, alternative slope plan.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 06:39 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
I have and idea for the ranking system how about "seat" like 10th seat, 5th seat 2nd seat and have the goal be 1st seat. Then how about this for a name The Sportsman Soaring Challenge Program?

Soar Dude
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Apr 05, 2009, 06:53 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,236 Posts
I may be talking through my hat here, but if you incorporate the landing distance tasks in the TD tasks (i.e., "steps" 2, 4 and 6 having TD flights landing within the specified distance), do we really need 8 distance landings as a separate category? Perhaps only 5 untimed distance landings, with the 3 timed TD plus distance tasks making up the remainder would work?

And I have to ask, what seriously would be the slope task? Obviously a 45-hour flight is a typo. I'm not sure I'd have a 45-minute slope task, but instead would just move to 1 hour after the 30 minute task.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is online now Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Apr 05, 2009, 06:56 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,220 Posts
Well Steve I bet you have been wondering if I had seen this and if I would chime in, CHIMING!!
It is looking very good and as has been said there is still some treaking to do so keep up the good work.
I will start working on a web page for the SSP as a small bit of help.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Apr 05, 2009, 07:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,236 Posts
Last edited by TheNightowl; Apr 05, 2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: no longer relevant
Old Apr 05, 2009, 08:45 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl
Purely as an aside, on the form itself, I know some terribly sloppy writers. Having an actual line for the signature and date by each number might clean it up a little bit. Otherwise, you may have someone accidentally sign a multiple-block with a large signature that makes it unclear which task was witnessed.
First I will need to learn the skills to do that. I'm a scissors, paper, ruler kind of guy. Making forms on the computer is new to me. I'm still trying to find a good way to do it. I know what I want and what you suggested is along those lines. I need to figure out how to get the results I want though. The ones I did on "word" were a PITA. Of course it dosen't help I've never used it before.
************************************************** ************************************************** *********
Soar dude, I appreciate the suggestion for a name. Please don't be offended but I'm going to stick with Sportsman Soaring Program as we already have a logo done. Yup, you all heard me right, we've already had a generous person give his time and effort to create a logo. I asked for a bit of color to be added to the text if he didn't mind. As soon as he gets back to me I'll post it along with all the credit for his work. I had nothing to do with this. It's kickin'.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Apr 05, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 08:54 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,236 Posts
Last edited by TheNightowl; Apr 05, 2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: no longer relevant
Old Apr 05, 2009, 08:58 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
WHAT!!! Now thanks to Joe it looks like we're going to have a web page.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:03 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,236 Posts
Last edited by TheNightowl; Apr 05, 2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: removing attachment
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:18 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
LOL, thanks. I guess I need a proof reader. I'm usually better about that kind of stuff. Besides this project, I'm working on an off-road track and fending off the LHS who wants me to sponsor races all summer, and getting ready for my annual help the planet stuff. I have to prep for putting down 700 lbs of grass seed, 6300 grass plugs, another 47 trees that just arrived and I still have another 150 or so to get. Then I have to get the early garden stuff planted and get Easter dinner planned. At least the wife helps me with the cooking. So I'm a bit more scatter-brained than usual.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,236 Posts
Hey, I'm entirely willing to lend a bit of aid from out here in flyover country in the ways I can.

Nightowl
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:24 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
If you have a shovel and don't mind digging 200 holes I can send you my address. Oh...you mean with THIS project.