Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:58 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
427 Posts
Steve, just to let you know i received my decal and card, the look great and many many thanks. When i get some time this week i'm going to get some more decals from you, i just have to find some time to get it into the mail.

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:39 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
It was perfect today for soaring. For once I did the responsible thing and cleaned the pole barn, mowed the lawn, tilled the garden, picked veggies, made supper and generally worked my butt off catching up all of my chores. Tomorrow looks to be another perfect day. I still have more work to finish. However, I don't like to be responsible all the time. So if it's anything like today, I plan to fly!!! I've got a Bronze form all shiny and new that needs worked on.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:01 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
559 Posts
a major step

Steve,

I hope your plans for getting out today worked out, and that the weather there was as good as here in Michigan.

It was around 40 last night with clear and calm conditions here today, so I put my beater DLG in the back seat. Today at lunch I went out to the green space by the office. Second toss resulted in a 30-minute flight, and the director of buildings and grounds happened by at about minute 24 to watch for a bit and to witness the landing.

So I've got the hardest task of the first level behind me!

Tim

P.S. For some reason I have a harder time putting my DLG on the spot than I do my big RES floater. Thankfully this landing was right at 2.5m, but it had me a little concerned.
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:21 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
One more landing down. Hope you had a witness or Z-Log for the timed part. Good to hear you're making progress. I did manage to get a little flying in but with no witness around today I was just trying for those long flight times. No luck this time but I had a great time.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:41 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
We've got some good soaring weather ahead for the weekend. Joe, Jim and I are planning a 1K G&R task for tomorrow as the "main event" of the day. I could have made it yesterday but I wanted to do it with my friends and it was a high traffic time with school buses and work traffic, so I opted to not be a hazard to them. Safety first. I was teaching my brother how to fly and did not have my timer running or the first 45 would have been done. It's time to start kicking some butt on the program as winter is getting nearer. BOO, HISS WINTER SUCKS!!! I have just ordered a short kit from Skybench to get me through the loooong winter coming up. It's time to cause a yellow & red Monokote shortage. The 12' Thermal Queen has been ordered.
Everyone have a safe holiday weekend. Now get out there and get some tasks done, I want to hear from a bunch of new members come Monday!
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:51 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,068 Posts
Some of us stouter folks don't find winter flying much of a problem except the launch. It takes some good consintration to heave the plane level when you are looking like the Michelin Man!!!!
Three day of fun in the sun are here now, got some work to do of that Bronze metal form, two landings and a whole lot of blank spaces!
A thermal Queen huh Steve, when you get to flying that one you will find a new meaning to "Speced Out" (<;
See you tomorrow...
Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Sep 05, 2009, 08:30 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,068 Posts
Well it was a great looking day for flying but we all know how that goes.
Steve and I got some of our task in, landings mostly at field #4.
I did have one good flight going so Steve jump in the van, told me to jump in and we will get your Goal and Return. I jumped in the side door and off we went. About a 1/10th of a mile down the road we had to stop, we had figured out this would be easier hanging out the window as it would give my a wider view angle. We were zipping down the road when I got a fright, the antenna on Dave's Stylus swiveled on me. First thought was I have a replacement the scend was the Victor is a goner!!!
We made it to the Goal (check out http://www.thermalrider.com/redhen.html if you want to see a map of our fields) at field #7 with lots of altitude so it was a quick turn around and speed on back to #4. When we got back it was a big relief for me but I was shaking. Looked at the watch and I had 17 minutes, if I can get another 13 I have one of the 30's for my LSF III. That is when the luck ran out, 20:30. Oh well we still have two more days this weekend!!
The thing that struck me the most was the odd feeling of having a hard time figuring out if the Victor was climbing or sinking.
We also had two new guys show up, Fred with an Easy Star that the guys at the power club could not get to fly right, Cap'n Jack got that straightened out and Fred is now one of us glider guiders.
Earl is a friend of Jim's from around Valpo that made his way out with his Radian.
So we had six guys out at Red Hen baking in the sun and having fun. I bet we were not the only ones today.

Joe
V.P. Sportsman Soaring Program
SSP #3
LSF # 6290
AMA #266550

http://www.thermalrider.com
Old Sep 05, 2009, 10:54 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
736 Posts
What Joe didn't tell you

Joe's description of a fun day at Red Hen was pretty accurate. What he modestly didn't tell you was that, while the day looked very promising, a 10 minute flight was difficult. Using every bit of his skill and a half-way decent sailplane (Victor), Joe found the only boomer of the day allowing him to complete the 1K G&R. Way to go, Joe. I believe that's the first G&R accomplished at Red Hen. It gave me great pleasure to sign Joe's Level III LSF voucher. Be warned, our weather pattern's stable and we're going at it again tomorrow!
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Sep 06, 2009, 05:43 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,068 Posts
Somrthing Else I Forgot

Cap'n Jack had the only "Speced" flight of the day.
There were two Monokote Overcast sucking up any lift they could find, sure was a sweet site with Jim's 3m Gnome and my Aquila XL gracefully circling the beautiful skies.

Joe
Old Sep 06, 2009, 09:30 AM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,172 Posts
And to think I am wasting away some really good conditions here in order to drywall the basement. That is almost the same thing as being outside in fresh air, specking out a 3 meter. Maybe I will have to take a "break" today.
Cory
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Sep 06, 2009, 08:20 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,068 Posts
What a day! Showed up around 10:30, clouds all over, chance of rain and nobody in site!
After a hour or so Jack showed up and stuff his Pic in my Aquila XL.
He few short instructions and up, up and away!
Several more instructions from Jack and the Pic is telling me I just pasted 700'.
After 30 minutes of climbing and cruising the truely great feature of the Pic tells me the Rx battery is at 4.9!!!! It had also told me that I was at 2300', full spoilers and the Pic is still saying I am maintaining altitude!!!
Hit the ground at 38:51, darn, this flight only counts for the LSF LIII!!!
Still had a great time with the guys and learn some new stuff, and it didn't hurt!!!!!

Joe
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:34 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,409 Posts
New personal best

The weather here in Minnesota was absolutely perfect for soaring all weekend. Sadly I had a ton of work to do but I was able to get in a couple of hours of flying. I decided to try out a new field that I have been granted access to. This is a very, very big field and I was easily able to setup my longest hi-start, 100' of tubing and 420' of line. The winds were light so I decided to fly unbalasted and really hunt the lift. Well I knew there was lift around as soon as I left the line on the first flight because I flew straight into sink. Down from 500' in under 2 minutes. No problem, I just hooked the Riser back up and launched again. Over the course of the next hour and a half I had some great flights and set a new flight time record for myself of 9 minutes and 47 seconds. It was a grand flight. I had a nice 5+ minute flight and this longer one and I had many awsome landings that easily fulfilled the copper level landing tasks. Sadly none of them will count because I was flying alone and I don't have a flight data logging device yet. I did try to get one of my flying friends to join me but due to the last minute nature of the call he was unavailable. Oh well, there will be another day and I am a patient guy.

I am getting better at this "soaring" thing. I am getting much better at noticing the lift and being able to stay in it. Now granted I have a very long way to go but every time I go out I get a little better. Who knows one of these days I just may find a second thermal on the same flight.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Sep 09, 2009, 09:28 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
NEWS: The LSF is endorsing our program. Their announcement can be seen here .
We're steadily growing. I've added 3 new aspirants in the last week. We have a ways to go but I can't wait to hit the 50 mark!
Old Sep 09, 2009, 02:48 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,068 Posts
I would like to say Thank You to the LSF for their help and support.
I hope we lay a foundation for several future World and National Champions.

Joe
V.P. Sportsman Soaring Program
SSP #3
LSF #6290
AMA #266550
Old Sep 09, 2009, 02:52 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,409 Posts
Wow that is really great news. Congratulations on a job very well done, or should I say, on a job well started?

Wayne

PS. Steve your package will be in the mail by tomorrow. I wanted to get a good box for it.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence