HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:01 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Well done Steve. Going to have to get a move on if I'm going to be in the top 5 . Had lot's of 30 min + flight's but just could not squeek into that 3 m mark . The best part of the weekend was coming off my Hi-Start and zipping into a gaggle of Un-limited stuff(Super AVA's and such)with my 1970 Windward,finding the core(very narrow it was)and blowing past them untill I specked out. was kinda like an airial ballet of David and Goliath .

Ken
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:30 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention I did that flight not with one of my "fancy" sailplanes but with my Radian. I was just refreshing my memory on what was coming up in Bronze. What was the guy that created this program thinking? Man I've got some work to do! I'm really looking forward to the G&R.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************
Decals: Decals are now available. They're large so they won't fit in a standard envelope. S&H will be $1 to cover shipping & envelope. (US only) Outside of the US, e-mail me and will will work out the shipping cost before you order. Send me your orders guys. You're going to like these! I was informed that if you want to apply them to a curved surface (like a mug) a bit of heat will help. The decal has "memory" The heat helps with this. They're very well made and look to be very durable.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************
NEWS: There's going to be a change in the way the forms are distributed. Once this gets going forms will not be accepted without an Aspirant or membership number. I encourage everyone who is working on the program to get a hold of me with basic contact info (name, address, phone and/or cell, e-mail) so I can give you an aspirant number. (you will not lose credit for any work you have completed) I want to be able to track aspirants and membership better. For now. if you need a form you will have to e-mail the SSP for them. It will be e-mailed back with an "aspirant number" or "membership number". This will allow the SSP to track how many people are in the program. Please include contact info with your e-mail. Also, let me know if I can share any of your info with other fliers. Just put at the bottom of the e-mail, "share: (then what may be shared e-mail, phone, cell, etc.) It will not be shared with anyone unless you agree to share it. This will allow me to help with people who ask things like, "I'm going on vacation" or "I'm moving". Is there anyone in ______ area that soars? If you allow sharing I will give them what ever info you're willing to share. If you say "share nothing" I won't tell them anything about you. Eventually, gathering information will be automated on the SSP website by membership sign up. Right now my skills aren't up to the task. I'm working at learning or having it done for me though. Thanks for your help and support. I would also like to thank Jim Deck, secretary of the LSF for creating the membership tracking program for me. -Steve-
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Last edited by Steve Boone; Aug 25, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 02:57 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
I attended an ESL contest on Saturday and Sunday. After the Contest on Saturday I put up my AVA and did one of my 30 minute thermal flight required for Level III.

I hope to make my 1K goal and return attempt in October. Keep the fingers crossed. If I do the 1K and one more 30 minute flight, I will have Level III completed this year.

Of course, the best laid plans ......
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:02 PM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
461 Posts
Hail, Hail, to the chief i know i'm late but congrats Steve on being #4. I told those indian dudes around here to do some thermal dances for ya i see now that they worked I'm sending you some $$$$$$ for the decals, meant to do it last week but work and flying got in the way or maybe it was the other way around. Went out at lunch time with the Sharon and thought id try something different, got into some great lift and wanted to fine tune the cg so rolled this baby inverted, cg is dang close so we just stayed that way and thermaled this thing inverted, i never done that before so it was kinda different to see the top side for a change. Gonna send you a email or pm with some info for ya.

Have a good one

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:49 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I attended an ESL contest on Saturday and Sunday. After the Contest on Saturday I put up my AVA and did one of my 30 minute thermal flight required for Level III.

I hope to make my 1K goal and return attempt in October. Keep the fingers crossed. If I do the 1K and one more 30 minute flight, I will have Level III completed this year.

Of course, the best laid plans ......
Congrats Ed!!
So were are you at on your Copper Sportsman Soaring Program???

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:50 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Steve and Cory, watch the mail for your membership cards and a free decal. Joe, I'll bring you yours this weekend. I decided to give the first 10 members their cards and 1 decal free as a thank you for helping the program get off the ground. So hurry up everyone and get me your info so I can give you an Aspirant number and send you a form if you need it. Then get out there and get to work. There's only 6 open places in the top ten list!
Oh yeah, Ed. What he said. How are you doing on the SSP?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:02 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,230 Posts
Steve,
Got the decal and membership card today. They look good and thanks for sending them.
Did you every get the email I sent you? Was thinking of getting started on the silver this weekend but willing to hold off if you were thinking of making some changes to the slope side of the tasks.
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:22 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,104 Posts
Looks like Steve and I are not going to get to fly together again this weekend.
Could you guys give us a little help and pray for three good days next weekend?

Joe
Who is looking at his Bronze form with so many task to complete and the weather saying NOT!
Last edited by Thermaler; Aug 29, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:10 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Sorry things have been busy here. I got the e-mail and looked it over. The main problem is the first three levels are locked in until next year. They will be evaluated and changed at that point to fix any issues. If I can get a handle on the people in the program (who is actually participating) I could send out an e-mail to everyone and propose changes sooner to address the lack of slope difficulty. Right now I can honestly say I'm not sure who all is working on their Copper level. This program started in a strange way and has been flying by the seat of it's pants for 5 months now. I can't seem to get ahead of it. This is also one of the reasons I've never finished work on the last levels, since I know there's going to be some changes to the first three. All be it I think only on the slope side probably. I actually just sent a PM to everyone who has ever replied to this thread. (no small task) I'm hoping to find out who is participating and how they're doing as well as getting some basic contact info on everyone. So far only two have said they're not interested and about 5 aspirants have contacted with their info so far. With 43 total contacted I'm still waiting for a lot to respond. So far you're the only one I know that chose to do the slope side. It would make it easier to change at this point but I just don't know how many it would affect that are currently participating yet.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:36 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
Welcome to the Sportsman's Soaring Program (SSP) thread. Everyone is welcome to try it, everyone involved in it has a say in it's development. If if suceeds or fails it will be by it's own merits not by someone who has never tried it's opinion. Feel free to voice your opinions. Keep it civil and be polite to others. I also ask that you try to leave all discussion or reference to the LSF out of this thread. This thread is to be solely for the discusion and development of the SSP. We would apreciate any input positive or negative as long as it's on topic. If you want to give it a try let us know how you're doing and what you think of it. If you think it sucks and quit, tell us why. You have the ability to cause change within the program, except for one detail. This is a non-competition, task oriented program and will stay that way. Anything else is open for discussion and change. Forms are available at ssp@fourway.net . Here's an over-view of the current program and the first three levels (COPPER, BRONZE, SILVER) to get everyone started. Have a good time and please feel free to get involved in the development of this program. Spread the word among your soaring friends. If this succeeds it will be by participation and involvement.
COPPER LEVEL
8 3m PRECISION LANDINGS

2 5 MINUTE TD FLIGHTS or 2 10 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS

1 5 MINUTE TD FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 3M or 1 10 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 3M

1 15 MINUTE TD FLIGHT or 2 20 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS

1 15 MINUTE TD FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 3M or 1 20 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 3M

2 30 MINUTE TD FLIGHTS or 2 30 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS

1 30 MINUTE TD FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 3M or 1 30 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 3M

BRONZE LEVEL

8 1.5m PRECISION LANDINGS

2 45 MINUTE TD FLIGHTS or 2 30 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS

1 45 MINUTE TD FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 1.5M or 1 30 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 1.5M

1 1 HOUR TD FLIGHT or 2 45 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS

1 1 HOUR TD FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 1.5M or 1 45 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 1.5M

2- 10 MINUTE TIMED FLIGHTS (BASIC) OR 2- 15 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS (A1)

1 LADDER FLIGHT (BASIC) 5, 10, 15 MINUTES or 1 20 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHT (A1)

1K GOAL & RETURN

SILVER LEVEL

2 30 MINUTE TD FLIGHTS LANDING WITHIN 1M OR 2 15 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS
LANDING WITHIN 1M

2 45 MINUTE TD FLIGHTS LANDING WITHIN 1M OR 2 30 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS LANDING WITHIN 1M

1 1 HOUR TD FLIGHT LANDING WITHIN 1M OR 1 - 45 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHT
LANDING WITHIN 1M

2 10 MINUTE TIMED TD FLIGHTS (INTERMEDIATE) LANDING WITHIN 1M OR 2 15 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS (A2) LANDING WITHIN 1M

2 - LADDER TD FLIGHTS (INTERMEDIATE) 15, 20, 25 MINUTE OR 2 30 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHTS (A2)

1 LADDER TD FLIGHT (INTERMEDIATE) 20, 25, 30 MINUTES OR 1 45 MINUTE SLOPE FLIGHT (A2)

2K GOAL & RETURN
************************************************** ************************************************** **********

LEVELS:
COPPER (BEGINNER)
BRONZE (BASIC)
SILVER (INTERMEDIATE)
GOLD (ADVANCED)
PLATINUM (EXPERT)
TITANIUM (EXTREME)
The titanium level will not be easily accomplished. Only the die hard extreme kinds of guys are going to want to even try it. It will however set you apart from the pack if you accomplish it!

LEVELS FINALIZED: COPPER, BRONZE, SILVER
NO MODIFICATIONS WILL BE MADE UNTIL UNTIL 4/1/2010 WHEN THE PROGRAM IS EVALUATED

TASK GUIDELINES ARE NOW BEING WORKED ON

Current level(s) being worked on:
GOLD LEVEL (TD & slope)
PLATINUM LEVEL (TD & OTHER NEW TASKS)

Send completed forms to:
Sportsman's Soaring Program
C/O Steve Boone
8133 South State Rd 104
Walkerton, IN 46574

Folks, I think we should post some big Thank Yous to Steve for all his hard work on this program. There was a clear lack of a worthwhile program to support the advancement of skills of Sportsman pilots, Steve stepped up and devised one.

More importantly he has taken on the effort to promote and run this on a day to day basis. I doubt anyone understand's how much work this is and how much dedication Steve has shown to the program and to helping soaring pilots everywhere to improve their skills.

Steve, I am a competition pilot, yet I want to extend my heart felt thanks to you for your efforts to promote and support soaring. You commitment and dedication to your fellow pilots truly goes above and beyond any call of duty that any of us could imagine.

Job well done!

Ed Anderson
President, Long Island Silent Flyers
President, Eastern Soaring League
Present on the flying field whenever possible.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:49 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Not sure if I posted this here before. The Eastern Soaring League has a resource that may be helpful to some of you glider guiders. The Novice Lounge was created to help pilots advance their skills whether they fly in competition or not. Topics like balancing your plane, how to use a hi-start, selecting a sailplane radio, and the like are there for your review.

I hope you find it useful.

The Novice Lounge
http://forums.flyesl.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:49 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,230 Posts
Yes, Steve, thanks a ton for doing all of this. I compete as well but most of them do not count towards LSF so it it nice to have something else to gauge my skills against. As a courtesy to all of you that are working the TD side of this program, I am going to be doing more TD tasks as well. I need to work on them anyway and the SSP program offers a great way to measure improvement.

Cory
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,104 Posts
"Steve, I am a competition pilot, yet I want to extend my heart felt thanks to you for your efforts to promote and support soaring. You commitment and dedication to your fellow pilots truly goes above and beyond any call of duty that any of us could imagine.

Job well done!

Ed Anderson
President, Long Island Silent Flyers
President, Eastern Soaring League
Present on the flying field whenever possible."

Hi Ed,
I too am a competition pilot working on the LSF LIII.
I am always looking to improve my skills even if it is just Steve and I at the sod farm.
If I get lucky enough to make the 45 minute task and Goal and Return for my Bronze, it will also count for my LSF III. All the attempts for both will be more practice.
No reason at all not to do both, I know a few LSF guys that have/are doing the CSS.
After all it is practice, practice, practice........come join the fun!

Joe

SSP #3
LSF #6290
AMA #266550
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:40 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Joe,

Working on LSF Level III myself. 1K G&R and 1 30 minute flight to go. Hope to finish it by November. However I only plan to work one program at a time. But thanks for the invite.

But for those who prefer not to fly competition or who don't have the ready access to competitions, like I do, this is a terrific program.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:43 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Thank you Ed and everyone for the kind words. Ed, if you don't want to participate right now that's fine. There's a level V that is talking of joining from what I hear because he wants something new to do instead of repeating the LSF program. I'm hoping he decides to go through with it. His input on how challenging the program is from a Level V perspective would be a great asset in the developement of the sportaman's program. Maybe you'll be the same way and come back when you hit LV and give it a go. I see you have a lot on your plate as well, so I understand. I like Joe, am working the LSF program as well. I'm currently stuck do to contest requirements. I'm hoping my health gets to where I can travel a little next year maybe and get my LII points done.