HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:55 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
I have used my Ospery 2m V tail (all wood), Falcon 880, Legion Air 140, Wanderer 99 and Victor.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
QUESTION: Since this thread started on 4-4-2009 there have been 42 different people that have posted to this thread. Why am I bringing this up? Well, I'm curious out of that 42, how many actually started the program and how well are they doing. Also, if any of you have friends or family you've gotten started that don't post here, I would be interested in that as well. I'm trying to compile a bit of data on the SSP to see how we're doing. Thank you.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:28 AM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
corsha99: Since you did only the slope task, I would like to know if you found it challenging enough or was it a bit too easy? Also, how long did it take you to complete all of the slope tasks? How many attempts did the slope tasks take? Any other input on the slope tasks you can give me. I'm just curious. Also, how long have you been flying slope? If you want you can PM me the details. Thanks in advance for the help. I hope to see your form arriving in the mail soon. Well, to be honest I hope it doesn't get here too soon. Our weather sucks right now and I'm trying to be member #2. Still need that last 30 minute flight.
I have been flying slope for about 10 years vs thermal off and on for almost 20 years. I have flat land ships, I just really hate bungees and no electrics. I am doing this program and the LSF one too. Working on LII on LSF and competitions are going to be the long pole in getting it done.

I did all the slope tasks in one weekend while at a combat competition. Most tasks I was able to complete on the first try although I always was shooting for the landing precision task and claimed the non precision landing task if I missed. It was pretty easy to do but it really should be for a starter level. In fairness though, it is easier than the thermal side of it. Much easier to get a 30 minute flight on the slope when the wind is blowing vs a 30 min TD flight when thermals are cycling through. It is all about the conditions though. i could easily get a 30 min TD flight in if I hooked a boomer thermal. Not sure how to balance them out more with out turning the slope tasks into endurance tasks.

For the landing tasks I did use my DLG. Slopes around here aren't conducive to landing practice as they can be quite steep and rocky. If you are not catching the plane, you are plopping it on the side of a hill where it could slide backwards.
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:41 AM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,250 Posts
I have used my QFII DLG for landing tasks, Bad Voodoo ODR and XR combat wing for the slope tasks.

Plan on doing more Thermal tasks to help mix it up. Will be doing them with my Nyx Furio and maybe the Top Flite Metrik when I want to go old school.
Cory
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Last edited by corsha99; Aug 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:44 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
I started after you let go of my arm (big grin), now I am one landing short of finishing Copper.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:39 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
We would both be on Bronze if we wouldn't have blown off the first day of the year just so we could play & BS. Heck if I would have just turned on my timer when we were flying with Jack in the gloom of the day I would have had my last 30 minute flight. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:05 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,506 Posts
Just one question Ken, does the big teddy bear mow all that or does he have a few friends?
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
They do come in group's,just normaly spread out for mile's. Native northern prarie grass is at it's max hight this time of year,so what you see is what we have.

And to stay on topic, My spot landing flight's used an R2 Hobbies NPS,Slope flight's Used R2 Hobb's Ptero, And my TD flight's used my 39 year old Mark's Models WindWard.
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:32 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
that is awsomly flat country you have, soaring dreamland i bet. I can imagine the winds get good on some days as well.
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Aug 11, 2009, 06:17 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
It doesn't look like you'll be doing any slope tasks. Oh and you can never listen to too much Pink Floyd!
************************************************** ************************************************** **************
DECALS & MEMBERSHIP CARDS: I talked to the grafix guy yesterday and I go to proof the decals in a few hours. It shouldn't be long now.
I ordered the membership card supplies as well so they will be available soon as well.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:22 AM
Joined Apr 2008
120 Posts
Have to say, this program makes alot of sense for a beginner like me. I've been out with Ken while he goes for his spot landings, he can do it, I can't, but the practice is the important thing and overall it's improved my landings even if they're not on the mark. I'll have to join soon, maybe it will get me out more often. When I can't go, this is Ken's other flying buddy........

Doug
pg_hermit is offline Find More Posts by pg_hermit
Old Aug 11, 2009, 07:39 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
LOTS of slopeing here as well. I have 13 site's all within 15 minute's of down town Medicine Hat. The best are "The Face" and "The Horse Shoe". All that flat land till the the air hit's a 300ft Wall with no way of going around.
It's kinda like TORRY PINES without the Beach Boy's but we DO have Cow Boy's!! .

Here is a small bit of the face.

Ken
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:07 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
KEN: Every since you posted your picture it's been driving me crazy . I knew I've seen you, but I couldn't place you. Then it hit me. That sure brings back memories of red eyes and sore thumbs.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:02 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I tried my best but it just wasn't to be. In between working on various projects I ran out and tossed the Radian into the air. My three best were 22+, 23+, and 25+. The cycles would shut down and there would be nothing for long stretches. I would no more land and they would pop up again. I was at almost 1600' twice and still could not pull it off today. I'm definately frustrated! One second nothing but up and fighting to keep it down. The next was nothing but down and there was just no where to find lift. I wish I would have had the time to go to the sod farm. I think I could have pulled it off there. house work!