SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by FrogChief
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,977 Posts
From the look of the increasing requirements, Titanium level is gonna require thermaling in the Sun's heliosphere.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
Radian. After a proper range check as we do not want to break the rule's and fly without doing all the safety stuff .

Or maybe those that oppose silver as written can post a list of the task's and or flight's that need to be removed ? I don't see where Steve need's to do ALL the work. As I stated in a earlyer post, I would like to see the 8 Precision landing's stay.

What if 1(one) of each TD task per task box is removed,( This will remove 15 flight's (880 minute's)off the Silver task sheet)from the version #1 sheet. Is this a more workable level??

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief
From the look of the increasing requirements, Titanium level is gonna require thermaling in the Sun's heliosphere.
Hi FrogChief, Did you ever get around to putting the full flying tail on your Marauder? I think people have the misconception that the upper levels will just be more of the same. From what I have heard from Steve that is not his thinking but, I will say again, feel free to offer constructive suggestions for tasks that you (everyone reading this thread) feel will present challenges and improve your flying skills.

From the very onset of this idea it was stated that the program would be hard. Possibly it is the short sighted nature of our soceity that is causing some of us to shy away from this program. I can say that I would have been disappointed if this had materialized into something that could be completed in two summers worth of flying. Just because the title of the program says "sportsman" does not mean that you will not be an expert soaring pilot when you complete it. To truly master something takes a tremendous amount of practice and dedication. Ask any of the top flyers how many times they landed their plane before they could consistently make time and a spot landing. I would venture a guess the answer would be in the thousands.

I would humbly ask all of you out there that believe the Silver level is too repetitious, offer up an alternative. Steve is doing what he can to form this program but I am certain that he would welcome suggestions on how to make the upcoming levels challenging without being "more of the same". I think many of the tasks in the silver level are outside the standard task box. I love the add em up task, basically just go fly all day and add up the time. No pressure at all, just have fun. Bring on the new ideas and let's all make this a program that will stand the test of time.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by corsha99
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,557 Posts
Version 3 looks much better. Quick comment/question after reviewing it and the task requirements. I read the version 3 tasks of "add em up" and "ladder" flights as having the option of being slope or thermal. Is this the case? The others specify TD either in the naming of the task or in the task requirements.

By the way, any of you that have flown in the last 2 months suck Been way to busy with work and house remodels to get out. And now we have a 2 day long winter storm setting in.

Cory
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:58 AM
Find More Posts by elcoba
Mapleton, Australia
Joined May 2003
21 Posts
Steve,
I agree with what you said that should we come up with a slope program that it should be totally different to the TD program. However it should remain under the umbrella of SSP. Will speak to the boys and see what we can set up. I am heading off to Tassie on holiday next month so you will not hear anything from me till end of November. I was surprised not to get a lot of critisisim (or praise) on my comments submitted previously but I guess this proves your statement that no one is interested in developing a slope program. We will see if we can change this attitude!
Would someone tell me how to get a profile picture to come up in the column on the left of the screen?. The picture has been entered and appears in my profile details but seems to go no further.
Thanks
elcoba is offline Find More Posts by elcoba
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by Radian
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoba View Post
Would someone tell me how to get a profile picture to come up in the column on the left of the screen?. The picture has been entered and appears in my profile details but seems to go no further.
Thanks
The small picture you refer to is called an Avatar. When in "My RCGroups", click the "Edit Avatar" option on the left side. The follow the instructions from there.

Radian,
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Charles: You would probably get more interest in the slope forum. It seems to be more TD or sportsman types here (sailplane talk) that do a little of several things. For the most part everyone here is pretty open minded and we have yet to have a flame war problem. Except for some kind hearted ribbing over repeating tasks which if you read the whole of both this thread and the original you would understand. I knew it was coming as soon as I heard only do it once and move on. I have no problem with the replies because of the replies we got in the beginning just for suggesting a sportsman's program. Plus it was kept to a minimum and nobody in particular was picked on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsha99 View Post
Version 3 looks much better. Quick comment/question after reviewing it and the task requirements. I read the version 3 tasks of "add em up" and "ladder" flights as having the option of being slope or thermal. Is this the case? The others specify TD either in the naming of the task or in the task requirements. Cory
No, slope is gone. Everything from now on will be TD. If Charles and his guys can produce a good slope program we will sponsor it. It will cause us to re-write Copper and/or Bronze level(s) to compensate. I have hopes they do figure a way to make it happen. A re-write would only effect a couple who have done the current program as slope. Credit could be given so you could transfer over and do slope with no loss of level status and finish it as slope. It would actually make it possible for people to do two Sportsman's programs. One TD and one slope. Yep, you could even do them both at the same time if we changed the first two current levels to TD only. Almost everyone has done them as TD already so it would be really easy to do. You should get involved with the Austrailians on this as it would help them to get an idea of what it will take to make this work around the world, which it has to do in order to be accepted. The more involved the better.
Silver Level: All times are only approximations
Ver1 was 46 hrs + landings
ver2 was 65 hrs
ver3 was 38 hrs + contest times ( no one has yet to explain this to me) + landings
Personally, other than the lack of flight time I like ver3 the best. It adds a new task set and I'm all for that. Tom & Gordon, what are your thoughts now? Can one of you explain the contest style rules to us? I hope everyone can reach an agreement soon. I want to get Silver done and re-posted so we can move on to Gold.
Titanium: I think I'll post Titanium Level just so everyone gets over it. Then maybe we can focus better on what's left to do.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by rcairnut
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,118 Posts
Silver 3 looks the most realistic and the most fun of the 3.

I am saying this as someone that has no plans of gong there, so you can freely toss my thoughts on it.
However the hopped for slope path I will be looking at closely.

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Oct 28, 2009, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS TIM GESS! You're the last member in the single digit club. As member #9 it's your job to bring the doughnuts. Do you want your card to read Tim or Timothy? As soon as I know I'll make it up, add a decal and get them on their way. I would also like to thank you for your donation. It's very much apreciated!
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Oct 28, 2009, 05:48 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
Way to go Tim. I like Boston Cream's, but a Pumpkin Spice doughnut is mighty tasty this time of year.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:09 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
I would like someone to explane the Contest Style TD task scoreing. Where are all the contest guy's at? Too busy polishing their trophy's maybe .

Silver ver 3 is one I can agree on , once I know the contest stuff.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
790 Posts
Here in the Midwest, thermal duration events are flown "man-on-man". Pilots are placed in flight groups so that there are no frequency conflicts, the number in the group determined by the number of winches available for launching. To qualify as a contest, a minimum of three rounds must be flown. A round consists of all flight groups taking a turn at the winches. The contest director declares a task (time) for the round. Normally flight points are awarded each pilot one point per second for time aloft under or equal to the task time. Time exceeding the task time is subtracted from the score at the same rate. Normally there is also a landing task with landing scores computed according to the alnding task. After a group flies, each pilot is awarded a flight score and a landing score. A pilot's flight score is computed by dividing that pilot's flight points by the highest flight points achieved by a member of that group and multiplying the result by 1000. The pilot's score for the round is the sum of his flight score and landing score. Over a number of rounds, the membership of the flight groups changes sometimes by random or by the placement in the previous round ("seeded man-on-man"). The contest winner is the pilot with the highest score summed over the rounds flown. Note that the CD can change flight times for each round depending upon conditions or personal whims. A long-winded but hopefully adequate answer. Please notice that a contest does take a fair amount of volunteer time just to set up the flight groups. Timing is done by pilots not flying or non-flying spectators.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:09 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
Thanks Jim.
WOW! My heart goes out the the judge's that run the NAT's,it must be a real pain.

So for those of us in remote spots,the "contest style" task's would be a point per second of flight time to the MAX task time (600 point's for the 10 minute task's)with a point deducted per second from the MAX task time till landing.

Avarage the 3 task flight's to give total task point's, the task is complete when your total point's are equal to or better than the task minimum.

Or something along these line's????

This could get interesting as flight time's could remain resonably short (no 1 hour long flight's)but by raising the minimum point's needed ,landing 's would need to get perfect.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by FrogChief
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,977 Posts
Tried to join

Hey all. I tried to join the SSP by using the online form at the SSP website. No matter what I did when I hit 'send' it stated that it failed to send the message.

?

-Froggy
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by tonyestep
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
For an illustration of how to set up a task that would mimic flying in a typical contest, see post #481.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep