HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:04 AM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
I made a practice tape from some strapping material bought at a hardware store, and I just made markings on it with a Sharpie. I have it marked at 1 point per 2 inches, and originally it was pretty long, but I've gotten lazy, so I cut it down to about 4 feet in length so I don't have so much to roll up
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:06 AM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
I guess Bob Dylan was right after all. "Ya Gotta Serve Somebody" ,if Steve(the BIG Kahoona) has a honey do list .

Ken
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:22 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
Nice avatar their Thermaler. I use Thermalers tape but it makes my head hurt doing the math. I've been too lazy to make us a new one in 2" increments. I still haven't made the foot board for the winch/retiever or any of the other mutitude of current projects yet either. Well at least I'm consistent.
************************************************** ************************************************** *************
HELP PLEASE: Do we have a web designer in our midst? Thermaler and I have been discussing what I want to do next and it's beyond our current abilities. So if you have mad web design skills and wouldn't mind donating a bit of time to help get things set up drop me an e-mail or PM.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:40 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
Now that's some funny stuff Ken. Of course I have a honey do list. TOISS (the one I seldom see) works 6-12 hr shifts and I'm on disability. So I try to do all of the house work until things let up for her. She forces me to go flying and spend time with the guys though, so it's all good. Today I picked green beans and weeded the garden in the rain. Not smart since I've been sick all week but it had to be done. Plus trying to get things done for the SSP and I still haven't finished the woodworking project for my daughter's Christmas present for last year, several r/c projects including sailplane bags I'm designing and trying to make. The big kahoona is way over worked and under staffed. If I get any more commitments, I'm going to need to be committed. I just never learned how to say "no more" very well.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:05 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,076 Posts
Thanks Steve, yours looks neat but you know me and being different. I could not get it to "resize and look right so O copied and pasted, added my favorite color to the font and..
I am going to change the caption to my number when I get the last task done.
Now back to the tasks I should be doing.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:35 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,648 Posts
I too use a piece of T-shirt. I just measure from the center with a 10 foot tape measure. Most of my landings do not require the use of the tape, because they are too far off. Today I made a landing that didn't need a tape, because it was so close.

I attached a photo. The inner circle is 30 mm in radius. It was 1" but the fabric stretches. I made one other spot today. It was 1.23m from the center. Ordinarily I would consider that a terrific landing, but it came after the 3 cm landing.

Roger
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Last edited by maguro; Aug 08, 2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 01:19 PM
Tok Alaska
Joined Aug 2005
148 Posts
Sportsmans Soaring program

This ia a truly great idea. Up here in remote Alaska i have been teaching some young people and a couple adults soaring.

Now with this idea you have made it possible for some of these pilots to acheive a great goal.

I know I will support the porgram and tell others about this as well.

Thanks for the hard work Richard Davis Wilderness Aviation/Fire Eaters in Tok Alaska
northernlightsfl is online now Find More Posts by northernlightsfl
Old Aug 08, 2009, 07:05 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
here is my landing tape. Each arm is 3m long. Measureing from the center of the center nail head gives a acuracy of about 1/16 inch. Close enuff for my landing's.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 09:55 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,188 Posts
Alright, I am almost ready to mail in my completed copper level. Will bang out the landing tasks tomorrow and it will be on its way on Monday. Nothing but slope tasks otherwise.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:05 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Well Done. They are only going to get better from here on in.

Ken
Old Aug 09, 2009, 01:36 PM
Moncton, NB
Joined Aug 2005
155 Posts
Argh! Too much stuff going on this summer! Can't wait to try out this program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Spatz
here is my landing tape. Each arm is 3m long. Measureing from the center of the center nail head gives a acuracy of about 1/16 inch. Close enuff for my landing's.
I'll trade you some trees for some of that wide open space.
ecormier is offline Find More Posts by ecormier
Old Aug 09, 2009, 03:07 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
corsha99: Since you did only the slope task, I would like to know if you found it challenging enough or was it a bit too easy? Also, how long did it take you to complete all of the slope tasks? How many attempts did the slope tasks take? Any other input on the slope tasks you can give me. I'm just curious. Also, how long have you been flying slope? If you want you can PM me the details. Thanks in advance for the help. I hope to see your form arriving in the mail soon. Well, to be honest I hope it doesn't get here too soon. Our weather sucks right now and I'm trying to be member #2. Still need that last 30 minute flight.
Old Aug 09, 2009, 05:20 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Quote:
I'll trade you some trees for some of that wide open space.
You should send the tree's to BC as they are needing a lot of new ones.

My spot that I practice for my CX flight's are 100km X 100km (60miles X60miles) of nothing but a few fence line's and the occational cow's and Oil Pump Jack's, and it has a network of gravel roads so getting around is good. On a busy day you may run into 2 other people. Not uncommon to get thermals running to 12,000ft, so a good onboard altimeter is a must have.

Ken
Old Aug 09, 2009, 10:15 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Just finished talking to a fellow glider guider, and he came up with a wonderfull idea: as you complete each task sheet, list on here what what you flew each of the task's with!!

Example: the TD task's used a G/Lady average flight time 42 minutes
slope tasks used a D.A.W 1-26 average flight time 32 minutes

This way new comers can see what is popular and can get an idea as to the choice of what to fly. There maybe oddly enuff, times where a lone aircraft is used for all task's ,IE: a GL used for TD and Slope task's.

Just a thought(Thanks Doug)

Ken
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:37 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
So far I've used my flapped Ava and a Falcon 880 for all of my tasks. I plan to try for the last 30 minute flight on my new Radian this week, weather permitting.
************************************************** ************************************************** *************
INFORMATION & NEWS: I was asked how membership numbers are issued. They're issued according to the order that I recieve a completed Copper form. Provided everything is in order on it of course.
MEMBERSHIP CARDS: I'm currently working on membership cards. They will be available when you send your Copper form in and it's aproved.
DECALS: I will be talking to the grafix guy today. Hopefully he is on schedule and I can go there tomorrow and proof the decals so he can get them made. Otherwise I will have to make a second 40 mile trip just to check them out.
The cards and decals will be available soon and when they are, prices will be listed for each. Be assured, I shopped around for the best price I could find as I have to pay for this out of my pocket and hope to recover my money down the road. I have had $55 worth of contributions from members. Thank you sjgoulet and Soar_dude.
I guess this is a good time to let you know what happens to donations. It's all very high tech you see. I place any funds sent in into an envelope. It then goes on a shelf and sits there while I feel guilty about spending any of it. (to date none has been used, everything has been out of my pocket) This policy is about to change. I will be using it to help pay for the decals and membership card supplies. It should cover about 1/4 of my cost. Please don't tell my wife. As things are sold I will replace the SSP funds and then my funds. I donate all of the gas, phone bills, ink cartridges and time. If you wish to contribute to the SSP you may include donations with your forms.