Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:51 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Hey Steve I sent you a PM

Soar Dude
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2009, 09:52 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
If they are anything like our weather people, IF they call for rain, Bring your sun screen!!

Just think positive, you know that "KARMA" thing.

Hopeing to get my sheet in the mail early this week so I can start on Bronze. It sounds better being a Bronze Warrior than a Copper Comando

Ken
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Aug 02, 2009, 10:21 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,076 Posts
Looks like I should have made that last landing Steve.
So far next weekend is looking good.
It was fun today but we wasted too much time BSing, I think today was a lot like a couple of weeks ago when we both pulled 30+ on the first flight. Sorry for wasting your time with boring NATs tales (<;

I like that thought Ken.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Aug 03, 2009, 07:54 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
I probably should have gotten my butt up there sooner. The way the sky looked I think 9:00 may have been better. Next weekend if we go I will be there at 9:00. As far as the NATS goes. I enjoyed everyones stories. I wish I could do stuff like that.
Steve Boone is online now Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Aug 03, 2009, 08:42 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
452 Posts
Steve, we had our 1st annual glider fun fly on Saturday weather was almost not going to cooperate but the rain and the wind moved out. We had some decent lift early and like you guys pretty much turned to sink. Launch up and down withing 3 to 5mins., did get the Radian out and almost lost it in some low clouds, my youngest son was standing next to me and said, where'd it go dad! and poof out it came. Was going to try to get my 1hr. but no luck and completely forgot about the ladder flights and or the 2 10 minute timed flights DUH, oh well maybe this weekend ill get some time.

Have a great day Steve
sjgoulet is online now Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Aug 06, 2009, 06:03 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
I broke down and bought a Radian. There's lots of days I could be getting some flying if it weren't for all of the setup & tear down time of the winch/retiever. It will also put me in a better position to work with the electric guys. It should be here next Tuesday and I plan to put it to use as soon as I get it. Maybe by increasing flight time I can finally get that last 30 minute flight in.
************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
DECALS: I haven't recieved an e-mail from the grafix guy so I'll be calling him today to see what's going on.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 10:07 AM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
It would of been better IMHO to get a hi-start than something with a spiny thing on the front. I use my hi-start way more than my winch as it takes 2 minute's to set up and I get about the same hight. But hey, what ever get you in the air.

On a side note, I am haveing a local embroidery shop put the SSP design on a wind-breaker type jacket. I is a full-back job,so it should look real good.

Ken
Old Aug 06, 2009, 10:32 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
I broke down and bought a Radian. There's lots of days I could be getting some flying if it weren't for all of the setup & tear down time of the winch/retiever. It will also put me in a better position to work with the electric guys. It should be here next Tuesday and I plan to put it to use as soon as I get it. Maybe by increasing flight time I can finally get that last 30 minute flight in.
You got that right. The combination of the Parkzone name, the foam and the motor on the front makes it feel like a big Parkflyer. They are far more apt to try soaring with a Radian than a 2M Spirit on a hi-start.

My experience is, once you get them to try it, about half will stick with soaring and about half of those will want to try a pure glider if they have someone to help the go pure.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 06, 2009, 11:53 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,548 Posts
I didn't bother with the RTF I bought the PNP and plan to put it on 72MHZ. I like only having one radio. Plus I read the Radian thread and see they're having a few issues with the 2.4. I'm sure it's a small amount, but for now I decided to save the $100 and just use my 72mhz stuff that is lying around. I have a high start that sits now that I have a winch. I wanted extreme simplicity and it will make a good trainer for grandkids and others. I was shocked to come home and find it on my doorstep already. It's going to be in the air today if the weather holds. Now I have a plane with an "invisible winch" as well.
************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
DECALS: I have an update on the decals. I stopped by the grafix guy's today and did some work on the decal design. I should have a proof copy next Tuesday. Then they will be printed and ready to go.
************************************************** ************************************************** *********
KEN: Don't forget to post pics of the jacket when you get it done.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 12:06 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,638 Posts
I flew "pure" sailplanes for years, but finding places where I could stretch out a hi-start without encountering obstacles became harder and harder. When I returned to R/C, and discovered the capabilities of the new electric motors, I was hooked. I converted my Flamingo to electric, and never looked back. Now I can launch anywhere. I don't have to worry about people walking over my hi-start lines, trees, or other issues. If the launch area is not clear I can happily wait till it is. Holding a fully stretched hi-start for 5 or more minutes waiting for the area to clear gets old really fast.

The motor is just another launch mechanism. It has the added benefit of providing an emergency return to field should I get to far out to make it back. So far I have never had to use it, but it is nice to know it is there.

Roger
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro
Old Aug 07, 2009, 05:27 AM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
I encourage everyone to fly any type of sailplane, even a string launched - eventually then may graduate to one that can launch it's self.
Ralph Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Weaver
Old Aug 08, 2009, 06:06 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,076 Posts
No flying for Steve and I this weekend means we have to do something on the "Honey-do list", rats!!!!!
Come on rain, I don't want t paint the house
Things to do in the shop!

Joe
Last edited by Thermaler; Aug 08, 2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:04 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,638 Posts
I was wondering what others are using for a spot for their spot landings. Anyone care to share?

Roger
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro
Old Aug 08, 2009, 09:05 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,076 Posts
I was using an old 3" per point tape made from patio chair webbing but since I need to improve my landing scores GREATLY I will be using an old t-shirt.

Joe
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:01 AM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
I use 1 1/4 wide white plastic ribbon in two 6 m lengths held down with 5, 3 inch nail's. I put it in a + pattern and measure from the center nail head to the tip of the nose. It makes judgeing the set down point real easy.

Ken