HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:37 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Well, since you used it to get your 15 minute flight and you got your family involved as well. There will be no flogging this time.
Steve Boone is online now Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:36 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
Hi Steve, I was looking over the requirements and rules and in section 8 the timed flights are described as "make your required time within +/- 60 seconds and land within 10M...". I know it has been stated that you can use a 20 minute flight for the 15 minute task but at what point does this Section 8 rule apply? I am mainly referring to the +/- 60 second part. Thanks

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:04 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
WOW what a ton of reading. As this looks like the best band wagon in the parade, I'm in!!

One of the slope tasks for the gold or higher requirement's could be a slope goal and return (this fairly big in the UK). The pilot launches then has to walk along the top of the slope,walk around a fixed marker(a 5' pole with an orange flag was used at the one's I watched),and return to the exact launch point. It was very interesting just to watch as there was several pilot's all flying at the same time, but doing different distant task's(1K,3K,and 5K).

Ken
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:30 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
International News: Finally we have some. We have our first international member. L-Spatz. Ken, welcome to the SSP. I hope you have as much fun as we've been having. If you have any suggestions like your slope idea please keep them coming. I have yet to finish writing up the program so ideas are still needed and always welcome.
************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
Wayne: The timed flight rules apply to the "timed flights" starting in the Bronze level. I added them in to help with learning energy retention and as a primer for anyone who may have an interest in contesting at some point. I tried doing this kind of flying last year with a LV friend I fly with. I was really surprised at how much fun I had and how difficult it was to "get it right". It definately had a place here. I thought it was great for building better flying skills, so I added it to the program.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************
Program News: I'm looking into having window decals made. This has not been an easy task since I have to foot the bill, at least at first. Bids have been as rediculous as $5 each with a minimum of 500 pieces. I have to give thanks to the LSF leadership for helping me find someone who I could afford to use. Yup, they're very supportive of this program. Because of them and a little luck. I think I managed to find someone locally who is going to do them at a price that I can afford. The final price isn't set so I'll let you all know as soon as I do. It looks to be under $1. A lot depends on how much of my hard earned cash I'm willing to part with. The more you buy the cheaper they are. Then if you want to pick some up you can send a SASE and the $$$ with your forms and I'll send them back to you. Rest assured, I won't be making a dime off of these, you will be paying whatever I am.
Work on the rest of the program has been at a halt. Life and flying has been getting first priority lately. Luckily the program is tough as nails so far which buys me a bit of time.
************************************************** ************************************************** *************
Personal news: As many of you read my brother broke both bones in his leg. Then two weeks later we had a death in the family and the same weekend one of my friends and flying buddies was in an ATV accident and laid in a field for two hours before coming to. Another two hours to find him and rescue him. He's in really bad shape. He will live and is healing though. I think I'm still married but not quite sure as my loving wife is working 70 hour weeks so I never see her. So I try to give her any time I can. She being the great wife she is still insists that I go fly every chance I can. Maybe she just wants me out of her hair.
************************************************** ************************************************** ***************
Lastly: I would like to thank everyone for your kind words and support. In trying to make this program both fun and challenging, there have been times I have wondered what the hell I was doing. Trying to make a program this diverse and to have it work and include so many aspects of soaring has not been easy. I hope I'm at least coming close to what people would like to see.
-Steve-
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:37 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
257 Posts
Steve, things have got to get better for ya, im kinda like you are but its my wife that never gets to see me. When you work the hours i do, upwards of 80 to 100 per week it doesnt leave much time for anything else, but t least when im at my shop i do take a lot of breaks gotta get that flyin time in. Seems like when the weather is great something has always got to dry Going to try and work on my last 4 tasks i just hope the weather this weekend is going to cooperate, we have our 1st All Glider Fun Fly this weekend (Aug 1st) in Bolivar, Mo come on down and have some fun I still have the 1 hr tasks to do ive been soooooo close but you know the rest of the story, hey is Joe busy this weekend? i may need him to run around the field if my time is real close again Any way you guys have a great day and if your in the nieghborhood bring a plane or two and come fly with us.

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:29 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
sjgoulet: You're going to be the death of me yet! Maybe I better look at that Copper sheet a little closer. I think you may have forgotten to cross a "T" or dot an "i". Hmmm, that stamp on the envelope IS crooked, there's the problem. I'm afraid you're going to have to start over now. We have high standards and all you know.
I haven't heard from Joe since he got back from the NATS. Probably working overtime to make up for taking some vacation time off.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:32 PM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
257 Posts
Steve, if iv'e got to start over at least i won't be having to try and get this 1st 1 hr flight out of the way As far as the stamp goes you probably had the envelope turned the wrong way. You mentioned some decal thingys, if you get some made let me know and i'd be in for a bunch of em, if need be i'll send you some $$$$$ ahead of time so you won't be out anything. Picked up one of those Radian's last week, what a blast it's a fill in when i don't feel like getting the winch out and need to get that flying fix.

Have a good one
Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:00 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
Wayne: The timed flight rules apply to the "timed flights" starting in the Bronze level. I added them in to help with learning energy retention and as a primer for anyone who may have an interest in contesting at some point...
Thanks for the clarification Steve.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:17 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Steve I have a question for you.

How is a SASE for sending in our completed task sheet's going to work for those of us outside the US? It is not posible to buy US stamp's ouyside the US,and to mail our return envelope with other than US postage will be rejected as it will have incorect postage.

Throw the self addressed envelope in a larger one with a couple of buck's to cover postage,and maybe help pay toward those cool sticker's??

Ken

(just about done copper)
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:59 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
With 15 mph winds and cloudy here, you guys are killin' me! The PTO went out on my big tractor while mowing. A 4 hour job just became a 3 day job. At least the runway was done before it went. I always do the runway first.
************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
Ken: If/when they become available I'll figure something out. I've never sent anything out of the US so didn't know that it would be a problem. It's a solvable one though. Rest assured I'll make it happen.
Decals: The grafix guy has the logo and is making adjustments for me. I'm adding the word "Member" to the bottom right of the decal and a cut-away portion with all of the levels in their respective colors. That way everyone can cut off their current level and stick it left of "Member". That way you will be able to show your current level as well. Then as your level status gets upgraded you can simply cut and apply the next level over it to change it. At least that's what I'm trying for.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:12 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,399 Posts
Steve, that sounds like a great idea. Any chance you could post the graphic, so we can see what you have in mind?

Roger
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:30 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
SSP's logo.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:24 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Quote:
I've never sent anything out of the US so didn't know that it would be a problem.
The joys of being at the center of the universe.

The logo looks great,any chance of using with permition to have it embroydered on the back of a jacket?

Hope you are ready,cuz I can see this catching on like wildfire, and you will be up to your eyebrow's in application's every week.

Ken
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:40 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Thom (Speedo125) gets all of the credit for creating the logo way back in the beginning. Just as Joe (Thermaler) gets credit for supplying and keeping up the web pages. I was told I could do what I wanted with the logo. As far as I'm concerned any member that wants to show his pride and support of the program is welcome to use it as long as it's not for profit. Use it for a wallpaper on a computer, print it for the wall, have a shirt made to wear while soaring. Just as long as it's not sold for profit. This program has been and will always remain non-profit.
I hope this catches on like wildfire. It's been a slow start but lately we've been picking up momentum. It's nice to see it growing. If it keeps this up I'm going to have to get the rest of the program finished before winter. I guess I should have made it harder.
As far as the center of the universe goes. Well, I'm just an extremely reclusive country boy, not a world traveler. What can I say.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 06:40 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Went out today with the Red Hen guys. It was windy but we gave it our best anyways. Too bad my best today wasn't good enough. I was in a boomer and lost sight of the Falcon 880 three times. Joe came and loaned me his eyes and some advice. He knows the plane way better than me. He gave it to me at the end of last season. I'm not used to being so far downwind and found it quite unnerving. Knife edge circles and I'm going up fast. Deployed the flaps and I'm still going up and fast! I thought it was in the bag and then at 16+ everything went to sink. I made it back but only managed a 22+ for my best flight of the day. We had a great time though and I got to hear lots of NATS stories. Joe managed all but his last landing. He's sandbagging trying to hold out for his lucky number "3". Tomorrow's going to be 20-25 mph winds so no flying. In fact the weather forecast looks like windy all week. Let's hope they're wrong as usual!