New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,916 Posts
I'll try the program......

Tried to register online, but no go.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by Steve Boone
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
I just tried registering from both the application page and the link to the application form with no problems. Did you make sure you used caps in the box if called for. The security thing is case sesitive. It keeps the bot spam out. Please try it again. Don't forget to mark what can and can't be shared as well. Thanks. If it still doesn't work please let me know.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:12 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,916 Posts
It still says, "Failed to send your message. Please try later or contact administrator by other way."
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:44 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Kenny, you have a PM.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:20 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,916 Posts
Thank you for your help Steve.
It is much appreciated.

Added Edit: I am aspirant #47!
Last edited by Kenny Sharp; Oct 24, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by 2motheus
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
584 Posts
Copper in the bag!

For once, the forecast was wrong to my advantage. The predicted SW wind ended up straight west, and despite the cold (44 degrees) and wet I decided to run out to the slope. My dad is here visiting from Florida, and also braved the cold to witness the attempt. I lacked a single 30-minute thermal or slope flight.

Winds were 15 gusting to 24, so I know things would be dicey for the little DLG. I wondered if I'd have problems staying out of the clouds. I told my dad we'd have no test flights - there might be only one landing opportunity.

Dicey it was. I put a good whirl into the launch to be sure I could get past any low-level turbulence. Well - I shouldn't have launched during one of the strong gusts. My little piece of foam shot up nicely, but got pushed back out of comfortable viewing range. There were a few tense moments as I wrestled with my ear band, cap, and two hoods to get the plane back in view. Things settled down after that. There were two times during the 30 minutes that the wind shifted and the plane got low, and I wondered if I would make it.

In the gusty conditions I put both turning thumbs to good use, as well as the camber changes on the wing. This would have been a real adventure with a polyhedral plane.

The landing ended up being uneventful, and I regained feeling in my thumbs within about 10 minutes.

Steve - I'll send in the form and altitude logs Monday. If it weren't for this program I wouldn't be pushing my flying skills and even scouting out new sites.

Thank you,

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Oct 24, 2009, 05:54 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
You're welcome and congratulations. I'll be watching for your form. Have a great day!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by aussief3b
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,621 Posts
Congrats Tim,
I think that makes you number nine if I'm not mistaken. The last single digit member.
You indeed have the spirit mate. Impressive effort in tough conditions. I bet you wish you were in FL. today
I too got to go flying. Beautiful conditions - low humidity, high 80's and 5 mph wind. Left home at 9:00am - Got home at 4:00pm
Flew DLG for a while with my mates before doing some serious 10 minute TD and landing practice. Had 5 launches with the Sharon before a Flap servo jammed and fried the servo motor. So I had to spend the rest of the day flying my new Sagitta 600. Only got it during the week from Al Strahm but she flys like a bought one. Managed to get both 10 minutes basics and 5 landings done for Bronze before all my witnesses left.
Spent 2 more hours practising 2M Sagitta landings before I called it a day. Flew 17 flights in total from full winch launches - all were attempts at 10 minute and spot. Achieved 9 flights of 10 minutes, 4 over 7 minutes and 3 around 5 minutes and 1 two minute flight (where I lost sight in the sun during launch, tripped over the pedal, got my eyes back up and finally found the Sagitta screaming in at about 100feet, recovered and then hit mighty sink.... lucky! Would have been funny if anybody was watching. )
Approx 140 minutes of flight time for the day. Only 20 minutes of it counting towards my Bronze. Lack of witnesses is also one of the problems which slows the progress of many LSF tasks. Just gotta get more people out flying huh?
Now to fix that cooked servo in my Sharon.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
580 Posts
WOO HOO!! Well done Tim. Almost the end of October, who would of thunk it? Have to bundle up real good for thos Jan/ Feb day's .

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,464 Posts
You lucky dogs with good weather and a slope, CONGRATS!!!!
In our neck of the woods it is rain and/or wind and I have my Super Esprit all charge up with no weather to fly it. You can see pics of the Super Esprit and the "bundle up" from last weekend in the Red Hen thread.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:27 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian
Based on this progression I foresee the final Titanium level task as a short 1 hr TD flight on Mars!
LOL, well we aren't actually planning to just keep making things longer, more difficult, yes. Different, definately. Not to mention, everyone needs to get over Titanium Level. It's was only ever intended as a way to give credit to anyone who decided to do the program more than once. We might add something like, bring "X" number of aspirants into the program or some such. That would be about it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroeski
A non-contest contest format would be way better than 3 of everything. 10 min task with 100" landing tape points for a total of 5000 points. Any flight not on the landing tape is a 0 flight. That means you would do at least 8 near perfect flights or a lot of "just made the tape" ones. You could have two set of these.
How is that not repetative? 8 flights with the same time and the same landing style? I realize it's good practice for contest. The Sportsman's Program has a lot of things that will help you improve contest skills. However, it's not our objective, just a side benefit for some. It would make a good task set though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroeski
I think you should scrap everything and follow LSF tasks or start Silver with LSF level III tasks and go from there. (you can make provisions for existing coppers to count that as Level I, and count any bronze tasks that have been done toward any equivalent in LSF Level II)
That's never going to happen! We as a group have no desire to become a watered down clone of the LSF. We plan to set our goals very high and work hard so that no one will ever be able to think of us as light-weights or looking for the easy way out. Will we lose a few along the way? Yes, so has the LSF. Will we keep growing? I believe so, as do many others. My only real hope is that the first one to make it to Platinum Level tells them where to shove that weenie manifesto that was posted when this discussion first came up.
It is my firm belief that the definition of a Sportsman is that you:
-have a true love of soaring
-want to fly as much as you can
-be willing to work extra hard to earn your place in the soaring community
-be more interested in a good time than a good score
-show an interest in multiple aspects of soaring
-and of course, love a good bar-b-que

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussief3b
Hey guys,
1) I can guarantee you that 90% of the 50 plus starters you already have for the program will never complete Bronze level because they will look ahead at this huge jump in required flight time in Silver to not just do something difficult once - - Not try hard to do it twice but actually be required to complete almost every task three times.
WHAT ON EARTH FOR?
WHAT IS THE POINT we are trying to make?
WHY DO WE NEED TO DO ANY OF THESE LADDER, "A FRAME" OR "ADD EM UPS" MORE THAN ONCE?

2) My understanding was that this program was generally percieved as an alternate to the traditional LSF Program

3) The LSF has been emminently successful because the program is do-able (but not by just anyone.) Lets make sure this new program actually gets done - by someone! -- and at the same time attracts a bunch of others that want to join the fun.

4) To make this program a "Marathon" and require each set be done 3 times, adds up to a program that few will actually participate in past the first rung of the ladder - Copper.
Whew,ok.
1) Maybe Silver is a bit scary, but it can be softened a little. Why is it so hard, what is the point? Because we have to work harder as Sportsman than we should have to to overcome the pinions that we're soft. Why do it more than once? Because practice makes perfect and we plan to be the best we can be.
2) More like, originally a suggestion for LSF consideration. While they were considering, we did it. They sat back and observed. Then they saw an easy solution that could benefit us both. They passed on having a program of their own and "endorsed" us.
3) I hope to achieve with this program the same kind of statistics as the LSF. A lot of aspirants, a fair amount of copper and bronze, then things will thin out. A small amount of silver, about 1.5% in platinum and only a very few in titanium.
4)The sportsman that don't compete seem to be wired a bit different for a lack of any other way to put it. They so far have shown no issues with the extra work involved. Which I chalk up to what I mentioned before. We seem to feel a need to work harder to prove ourselves so not to risk ridicule. I think at the same time, since it has taken so long for anyone to make an effort on their part, they're not in a hurry to see how fast they can get it done. They would rather savour it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussief3b
I too got to go flying. Beautiful conditions - low humidity, high 80's and 5 mph wind. Left home at 9:00am - Got home at 4:00pm
You suck! Nothing but cold,rain and wind here.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
Ok, I've made another copy of the original version of the silver level sheet. I'm thinking of doing another with some of the contest style tasks and reducing the posted tasks to compensate. (you can only fit so much on a sheet of paper and still read it. Maybe I should use two sheets so we can have more to do ) Some one will have to explain how contests are scored to me again as I don't remember, I don't fly them. I'll post a copy of the alternative level here for a short time for everyone to comment on.
I have been doing some research. My landing distances are not off the charts. Most fall in what I would consider a good range for their intended level. In fact, the people who gave themselves low landing stats admitted that that would be the one skill they need to practice more. I thought dropping it as a seperate task set and just having it attached to other tasks was fine. The stats I'm getting show maybe it should be left in to get people to practice landings more.
One last thing before this very long post ends. Everyone should stop thinking that just because there are levels left to do that the program is going to be imposible to complete. For example: The advance and expert level ladder work will not allow you to miss a rung without starting over. That doesn't mean that they will have the same amount and size of rungs as the basic and intermediate levels. There is a way to balance it so what will be required will make it more than possible to do. It may help to stop thinking in terms of how the LSF program works. We left that behind and are now on a new path that is going to change again to keep things interesting.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Nov 04, 2009 at 05:25 AM. Reason: removed non-relevant files
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by tbroeski
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
513 Posts
It's not the difficulty (I love challenges), but the repetitiveness. I don't mind doing lots of different tasks, but doing more than one of everything but landing or contest type tasks....??? Just too much like work, rather than fun.

I really think the LSF should offer it's own SSP and let you do your thing totally separate. It is obviously very different. They should really turn the endorsement into a referral. Endorsing something before it is even set up is a bit premature.
JMHO
T

Don't let the discussions discourage you. In four or five years when you have someone complete the Silver, you can say "I told you so" to me and Gordon.
tbroeski is online now Find More Posts by tbroeski
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:44 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
It's also a way to keep from having to go through all of the work, hassle, discussion, complaints and red tape themselves. Not to mention the time and effort to run 2 progams instead of one. Plus all of the other things they work on. Let's face it, volunteers aren't easy to come up with. Let alone people who can spare enough time, energy and even money to be officers.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by knormang
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Steve, I have been catching up on this new wonder "foamie ' Glider, the Radian. It seems that is easy to accomplish many things with this machine. Is it ab acceptable model for our SSP?Ken G.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:45 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,487 Posts
I have a Radian I stretched to 120" and it works great!