HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:10 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
565 Posts
A simple addition?

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the response, and as always, thank you for getting this whole thing going.

I think that a simple way to include DLGs is to simply add a minimum flight time to the precision landing flight requirements. The task rules right now say this:
All precision spot landing flights must commence with a launch
meeting the specifications for towline lengths and methods
outlined in Section 5, except that the towline shall be not less
than 75 meters (246.1 feet) in length.

How about changing it to say this?
All precision spot landing flights must commence with a hand launch flight of at least 2 minutes, or with a launch
meeting the specifications for towline lengths and methods
outlined in Section 5, except that the towline shall be not less
than 75 meters (246.1 feet) in length.

This would allow handlaunch pilots to complete the tasks in smaller spaces along with electric soaring pilots. All other requirements would stand unchanged.
Even if someone can regularly fly 2 minutes from a hand launch, this is more than a long enough flight to prove they know how to manage the energy to land close to the target.

Thank you for considering the suggestion. I'll proceed with the program whether you decide to make a handlaunch provision or not. I simply thought of this as a simple way to include more participants.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:54 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,930 Posts
The weather was good this morning and I got my 15 minute flight with spot and two five minute flights. All right! Now I have to spend more time working on spot landings when the thermals are not all that great, so that I can be sure to hit the spot when I get a 30 minute flight. I realize I have 3 30 minute flights to complete, but I'd like to be sure to nail that spot on the first try. It makes it a bit less stressful when I take the plane way downwind on a good thermal.

I really love having something to work on when I go soaring. Thanks Steve.

Roger
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:07 PM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
526 Posts
Steve, FINALLY got my 3rd 45 min td flight yesterday YIPPIE, didnt think when i started out it was gonna be a good afternoon but 6 launches later found some great lift. This 45 min flight ended up being a 59:09 almost my 1hr Had finally gotten my Experience Pro all dialed in, well at least i think so. Something happened yesterday day when i finally caught some good lift, after about 20 mins. into it i noticed i wasnt actually having to fly it, ive got my thermal flaps all set and all i did was retrim the elev. and alittle rudder and this thing was flying itself, just every once in a while might have to bump the elev. I think ive had problems trying to hard to stay in the core or close to it, but after yesterdays flight i really learned alot from just letting the plane fly and not trying to hard. Almost 15 mins. of just letting it do its thing. I'm headed back out this afternoon to start on my 1 hr.

Everyone have a great day

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:10 AM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,249 Posts
Getting close to being done with copper level doing only slope flights. Have to make arrangements to get out for the landing practice. I hate bungees!!!!!
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:17 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
The Minneapolis Club is having a contest this weekend so I am off to the contest. I have absolutely no hopes of winning or even placing but there will be timers and witnesses there. I should have no trouble getting some landings and hopefully some qualifying flights. The weather looks to be nice for the weekend so I believe I should get a lot accomplished. I will report back after event.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:06 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
555 Posts
Question.

I'm working on the first level tasks and am wondering about the landing tasks. If I do a 15min flight that requires a landing within 3m, can I count that landing in the landing tasks as well?

Thanks for taking the time to put together this program. Hopefully I'll make some more progress tomorrow.
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe
Old Jul 18, 2009, 06:47 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Shoe: That question has been a problem already. When we first started we said yes. The problem arose when it was pointed out that if that was the case then a 30 minute flight would be good for a 30, 15 and 5 minute flight. So it was decided that 1 flight could only be used to complete 1 task. It's up to you to decide which one you want to use it for. Now since a couple of us had already completed some using the good for multiple task rule we decided to let those few stand so as not to have to re-do our sheets or restart the program. Personally I shot some extra landings to count but never changed my sheet. That way it didn't require re-doing the sheet but I actually did the landings. My witness was even the same guy so it really didn't matter except for the date. Since I still had other stuff to complete before fiinishing a level it gave me no advantage and so therefore was deemed "OK". Even though I didn't HAVE to do them, I thought I would just to make it fair in my eyes since I'm your fearless leader in all of this mess.
So to make it clear: 1 flight can only complete 1 task. You decide which qualifying task you want to use it for.
************************************************** ************************************************** *************
corsha99: The weather better improve if I want to be #2 it looks like. I just need a 30 minute flight to finish and have not had a decent flying day to go after it. Thermaler just needs 4 landings if he hasn't gotten them at the NATS and he's done with Copper.
************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
maguro: Congrats on your flight! There's nothing like making your time and then nailing the landing to put some pep in your step.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************8
Windependence: Good luck at the contest. We hope to hear about a lot of completed task by the time you get back. No pressure there.
************************************************** ************************************************** *************
sjgoulet: If you look out your window and see a tent in the yard, it's just me. Evidently all of the good weather is at your house so I'm coming to get some flying in. You're way out in front of the pack and the "man to beat" at this point. Keep it up and we might have to sprinkle dry ice all over your yard to kill the lift and slow you down so we can catch up. GREAT JOB!!!
************************************************** ************************************************** ************
UPDATE: I almost forgot. Everyone needs to occassionally check back to the first page for updated versions for the TASK REQUIREMENTS. It has been updated to show the 2 minute flight requirement for HLG's to use for landing tasks and to clearify the 1 flight, 1 task rule. Thanks once again for everyones opinions and help in further developing the program to include even more aspects of the soaring community. (DLG's in this case)
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jul 18, 2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:45 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
So to make it clear: 1 flight can only complete 1 task. You decide which qualifying task you want to use it for.
Very good, makes it simple and clear. Thanks.
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:31 AM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,249 Posts
Steve, you are safe from me finishing for sure. Have been sick and now being sent out of town for a week on business. Should have it all done early August though.

Thanks for the heads up with the DLG changes. Think I will use that for landing practice now.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:24 AM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
526 Posts
Steve, if i see a tent behind the shop i'll know it's you come on down. I'm wondering if the dry ice will give off enough gases to create some lift, if not it might be kinda hard to fly through the fog Gonna head out today but i have a truck to paint first so theres going to be some down time in between, maybe at least an 1hr or so that will be enough for the 1st 1hr TD flight Very light wind predicted today some clouds and the buzzards are callin me, gotta go paint so i can fly.

See ya Steve
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:09 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
One more task completed.

I went to the contest this weekend but the weather was not ideal for a lightweight 2M woodie. 9 mph gusting to 13 mph. But despite all odds and with the help from a fantastic timer and a little cooperation with the weather gods, I was able to get one of my 5 minute tasks completed. I had a 7 minute and 35 second flight. This is my second best flight ever, missing my all time record by 23 seconds. I probably could have made a longer flight but it was a timed round and I was over the round goal time as it was. I did have a blast. I am pretty certain I placed in the bottom 3 out of 17 pilots but I don't care. I learned a ton from the better pilots so hopefully I will progress faster in the future.

Here are a couple of snapshots, the first one is of my blue and yellow riser in a sea of big ships and the second speaks for itself.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jul 20, 2009, 02:33 PM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
526 Posts
Well Steve i was almost there, best flight was a 59:46 wheres Joe when ya need somebody passin gas It was such a great day yesterday, not much wind not all that hot just rite. Had the winch stretched out most of the day, so when i felt that urge to fly out back i went. I lost count after 28 launches got a lot of landing practice in. Had the neighbors next to my shop out watching, Larry which lives next to my shop was out he became my spotter, id been flying over with some buzzards and he'd spot some more telling me over there, go over that way i'd have to tell him i'm doing just fine where i'm at, after watching for over an hour he finally got what was going on. First thing this morning Larry was at the shop wanting to know if i was going to fly today, no such luck today i actually have to work .

Everyone have a great day
Steve
Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:46 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,930 Posts
I spent an enjoyable couple hours trying to hit the spot in shifting winds. I came away thinking I would do better to try and train the spot to run under the plane while I'm landing. The best I did was passing about 3 feet directly over the spot. The worst was landing all the way on the other side of the field.

30 years ago I could do this. I can't imagine why I can't now.

Roger
Old Jul 20, 2009, 04:58 PM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro
I spent an enjoyable couple hours trying to hit the spot in shifting winds. I came away thinking I would do better to try and train the spot to run under the plane while I'm landing. The best I did was passing about 3 feet directly over the spot. The worst was landing all the way on the other side of the field.

30 years ago I could do this. I can't imagine why I can't now.

Roger
Roger, untill i started flying a lot and i've been away from rc for many years i couldn't have landed within a baseball field, now that i get to fly at least 3 to 5 times a week it's improved tremendouisly. I really have this program and the guys that put this together to thank and to give me that extra incentive to fly better. Now if i could just get that magic 1hr flight done hummmm .

Steve
Old Jul 21, 2009, 08:44 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,930 Posts
I know it's way off topic, but since this is sportsman's soaring maybe I'll be forgiven.

The plane in my avatar is a design I cobbled together from the work of others, namely Ultralajt's Guppy II and Tony65x55's KFM3 wing designs. It is constructed primarily from blue foam with some ply, spruce, and carbon fiber for reinforcement. Most people think that a KFM3 wing has too much drag for a sailplane, but I'm here to tell you that this plane does very well. It could never be competitive, but that was not why I designed it. It is a very easy to build and fly plane. It is very forgiving, and easy to repair if needed.

A testament to the Blu-Guppy is that it got me my first 15 minute flight for this program. On the same day my wife got over 8 minutes on her second flight with the plane. Next time out my son did the same thing. Second flight with the plane he got 8:21. Both my wife and son are relatively new to R/C and neither have flown sailplanes.

As designed the Blu-Guppy is only RET, but the design can easily incorporate ailerons and even flaps or spoilers if desired. If anyone is interested the build thread is here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043494. I would really like to know what you think of it.

Roger