HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:36 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,547 Posts
My brother is finally home from the hospitol and the 20 mph winds have died. Not to mention I have my glasses back from the eye doctor so I can see again. Today is supposed to be partially cloudy, 6-12 mph winds and 80*. If we don't get any more rain, I'm getting everything set up as soon as the grass dries. Hooking up the Z-Log and trying to get some flying in. It's sad that I started the program and still haven't finished Copper Level. Some times life and mother nature just aren't on your side. (got to blame somebody )
************************************************** ************************************************** ********
PROGRAM NEWS: So far, at least to me, the call for a Sportsman's Program has been a bit disappointing. For all of the people that were asking for one, there's a lot less participation than I would have thought. The ones that are giving it a try are having a blast. We're trying to get a few more LSF guys on board by showing that it can give them something to do while waiting for a contest or such to progress through the LSF program. Now granted it would help if I lived in an area that had more than just a few guys soaring. The up side is that we're finding that the program isn't a cake walk by any means. It's been tough so far and that's a good thing! Especially when you make a long flight time and miss the landing and it doesn't count! It's going to take some work to finish and it will definately be a major achievment when you do. Although life has slowed things down, the rest of the program IS still under developement. There have been some new ideas for tasks that are being looked into. So don't think it's going to get stale and just be "more of the same".
************************************************** ************************************************** ******
INTERNATIONAL NEWS: So far there isn't any. To my knowledge, nobody out of the USA is trying the program. If so, drop me a line or chime in. There has to be people in other parts of the world who have the same interest as us here for a Sportsman's program. Feel free to join in! (See page one for forms and task requirements sheets.)
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jun 18, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:27 PM
Moncton, NB
Joined Aug 2005
155 Posts
Maybe folks are waiting to see what's gonna happen to the LSF sportsman proposal?
ecormier is offline Find More Posts by ecormier
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:51 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,446 Posts
Hi Steve,

Don't give up hope yet. I have been spending most of my free time organizing a soaring group here where I live. It has just now finally come together. I have located a 50+ acre TD field and two small slope sites. I am going to hold the very first event this July and I am planning on handing out information about this program. So far I have around 10 people interested in soaring and at least half of them have e-powered gliders. I have had very little time to fly this spring/summer with just this past weekend being my first day out. I did get one landing and I did have a 5 minute flight but due to an error on my part the timer was late to start. Oops.

I should be having more time to work on my copper level tasks here soon. I will be sure to post my results.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:19 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,183 Posts
Just getting around to starting on the program this weekend. It definately is not something that you can crank out with little effort. Give it time, people will pick it up.
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:35 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,547 Posts
The weather was hot but the thermals weren't so good. Joe and I went out today and it was "scratch for everything you get" day. I finally managed a 21+ before calling it quits due to the heat. Joe had a sad reminder of why the SSP is no cake walk. After finally scratching a 30+ minute flight, he sadly missed the landing. He thought I'll just use it for a 5 min. flight. DOH, need a landing for that one as well. He did get to use it for his last 15 minute flight though. So not all was lost. I see landing practice in our future. Tomorrow we're finally going to get a break from this heat. Too bad the winds are going to be 15-20 mph. Those 1 hour flights are starting to sound a bit more daunting for Bronze level!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:48 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,075 Posts
Yes, it was scratch for anything for most of the day. Not to rub it in but I got 20 + minute flights with the Wanderer 99 before the mower showed up and chased me off.
Landing practice?? YES I NEED LANDING PRACTICE, blew both the landings on the 20+ minute flights.
Next Friday that is all it will be, landing practice!!

A recap of Wednesday:
It was Jim and I, Gnome vs Falcon. The Gnome cleaned me up again, see Red Hen thread for the last time Jim clobbered me. He got a 28:23 on a day that was worse than today. Good job Jim, and thank you for the cupcakes and b-day wishes.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:02 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Steve, Joe, you guys have had about the same luck as i have, its been so hot and the thermals havent been to good. Landings id rather not talk about those, its seems like im getting worse, my last 2 45 min flights were scraped when ya cant land within 5 ft of the mark. Between being busy at my shop and the constant flow of customers which im not complaining about, its really cutting into my flying time. Yesterday was a perfect day but i had to finish up a trike build, all i could do was watch the buzzards circle, oh well there always tomorrow.

Have a great day
Steve
sjgoulet is online now Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,446 Posts
I also need work on my landing skills so I have rigged up a shorter histart just to practice landing tasks from. It is 75' of tubing and 160' of line. I am working on my precision landings. Witnesses are always my problem, never have one when you need one. I am making progress though. I also found 2 nice slope sites so I can now do some of the slope tasks.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:42 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence
I also need work on my landing skills so I have rigged up a shorter histart just to practice landing tasks from. It is 75' of tubing and 160' of line. I am working on my precision landings. Witnesses are always my problem, never have one when you need one. I am making progress though. I also found 2 nice slope sites so I can now do some of the slope tasks.

Wayne

Wayne,

When I get to MN hopefully I can help with that.

-Sean
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:22 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,547 Posts
I bought the coolest thing since sliced bread this year. I bought a hands free retiever. (personl model) Landing practice is a breeze now. So why is it we haven't been doing some? 25 - 30 mph winds here so nothing is getting done.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 09:18 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,547 Posts
PERSONAL PROGRESS REPORT: The weather man was wrong again, it rained all day Saturday. Today was beautiful though. Joe and I showed up at the turf farm at a bit past 10:00. Shortly there after I decided to test the air as most of the fog had burned off. I came off low intending to trim in and land to BS and have a water before getting serious. I trimmed to neutral and made the turn to land and hit a bubble right over the turn around. What the heck, I went for it. Shortly I was gaining altitude and on my way. I hit my 30 minute time and we remembered we didn't have a landing tape down. CRAP! I throw my lucky soaring hat on the ground and it's on! I stuck the landing a short time later. One step closer. After that I decided to switch from my Ava to my Falcon 880. I forgot to stand on the peddle...pop off. Geez, what was I thinking? Everthing was good so back to the winch and launched. I hit 25 with no problem. Then everything started going down. I kicked her in the tail and beat it out of there. Finally a few small bubbles have me feeling a little better but not safe by any means. At 45 seconds to go I'm beggin' the soaring gods to be kind. I decide to go long and get every last bit of time. The walk of shame wouldn't be so bad if it paid off in time. I landed about 20 yards out but I eeked out the time by doing it. Two flights down with two different planes and it's not even noon. All I need is one more 30 minute flight and Copper level is done. I worked it hard all day but the wind came around and started coming off of Lake Michigan. That's the kiss of death at the turf farm. We had lots of 5, 10, 15, 20 and I even came close with a 28:20 but the last 30 just didn't happen. Joe made progress but I'll let him tell his own story. I will say he was sand bagging though. He's hoping I get my last flight soon. He wants to be #3, his lucky number.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 08:52 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,075 Posts
That's my story and I am sticking to it! I need four more landings and I have my Copper done. I just have to wait for Steve to get his last 30 minute so it will be Steve #1, Steve #2 and Joe #3. To bad my name is not Pete, that would be SSP using the intials of the first three climbers.
It was an awesome morning with Steve and I ripping 30 + minute flights each on the first launch, I hit my landing to leave me with 5 and a landing and five landings which I really need to practice.
My first 30+ was done with the 35+ year old Legion Air 140 Jim Deck gave me for my b-day last year, yes Jim it is ready for you to use at the NATs! Thirty and landing done.
Steve and I then put up our Falcon 880's, Steve whipped my with the used to be mine ugly Falcon and got his last 30 by the hair on his chinny chin chin.
Being the rotten SOB that I am I put the pretty Falcon (mine) up again and get that pesky five and a landing, 40 + minutes and the landing. OVER KILL CITY!!!!
See this weekend with a Falcon kit Steve, we will finish our Copper's even if I have to run under your palne passing gas for the final minutes.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:50 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,547 Posts
I put the $$$ in my flight box so I wouldn't forget it. Let's hope Saturday is nice because I think Sunday is the Bremen Flying Knights fun-fly. I always try to make it to that one to help my buddy with his 100cc. I may even fly the vec-jet there this year.
I'm going to try to get some flying in here if I can. Maybe I'll get in that last flight in before the weekend.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:48 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Joe, cant we call you Pete anyway great work guys, i have'nt been out in over a week, its been so busy at the shop and between the motorcycle rallies and people crashin their cars it does'nt leave much time to fly. Hopefully i can get out this week for an hour or so, but i'm not holdin my breath. Yesterday was a perfect day but all i could do is watch the dang buzzards circle my shop, i know they were snickering as they flew by. I'm still stuck on 1 45 min flight it seems like it's getting harder and harder to get close but with all this up and down my landings are getting more consistent so i guess that might be a plus.
Have a great day

Steve
sjgoulet is online now Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:55 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
559 Posts
getting going

Steve,

My 9-year-old son and I started on this after supper today. He's a good pilot, but hitting a 3m landing with his 2x4 (no spoilers) was a challenge. He finally got one in, so we're on a roll.

I'm not sure what I will do for witnessing my landings. I got one tonight with his plane, but my son can't sign for me like I can for him. I'll just be patient and do these when we're flying with others. I'm planning to use a ZLog for the timing.

Thank you for setting this up.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus