HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2009, 10:21 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Steve, my form is on it's way to you i had to go back in the thread but i found where to send it. I'm so fired up i could just..... well you know the rest. It's been raining here AGAIN but today it's clearing up and gonna get nice, you know where im headed this afternoon....to the field.

See ya
Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2009, 10:47 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,546 Posts
Sorry about having to search for the address. I added it to the first post to make it easier to find. The weather here has been perfect the last couple of days. Since I had no witness, I worked my butt off to get all of the work I can done to clear the weekend. If it's good, Thermaler and I are going to kick some butt on this program. I also need the time to think about the next levels and what to do with them. I've been so busy with life I haven't had the time to devote to it that I want.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old May 08, 2009, 09:24 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,546 Posts
It's official, Steve Goulet from Missouri is the first member to complete the Copper Level in the Sportsman's Program. Thanks for all of your hard work and support of the program. You are now member #1 in the Sportsman's Soaring Program. I can't wait to join you on the official membership roll. Good luck on the Bronze Level!
Old May 11, 2009, 06:52 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,546 Posts
Thermaler and I finally got a chance to start the program. The weather was less than spectacular but we did make a little progress. Joe got a 31:22 min flight while I picked up a 8:59 w/ 27" landing, a 5:17 and a 48" landing. The flaps are working right now so the landings should improve. Not much I know but the weather was way off. Our day ended by getting everything soaking wet in a sudden rain storm. Oh well, a bad day soaring is still better than a good day at work!
************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
MAJOR UPDATE: The use of a logging device is going to be allowed to stand witness to flight times. Everyone I've been able to talk with says it's harder to cheat the systems than do the flights so we're going to give it a try. My thoughts are as always. Cheaters will always find a way to cheat and the rest of us will be too honest to dream of doing it. So if you're on a long flight and all alone your logging device can be your witness. Down side: it can't witness your landings. Now if your logger is witnessing your flight time and someone shows up BEFORE you land and witnesses the landing you're golden as they say. Have the witness sign for the landing and include the data sheet for the flight time and you get credit. SIDE NOTE: Please mark your data sheets so I can easily tell what flight they're for. A letter in the signature box and a corrosponding letter on the form would be the easiest. Thank you! I will update the requirements form to show this as soon as I can.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********
Thermaler & I got together for some flying this weekend. (see the Red Hen thread for details) He brought the laptop and I got to see the web stuff. It's all had my "nod of approval" so it should be up soon. Thanks Joe for all of your work! I need to get off my butt and write an introduction page for it. Next rain day, today I'm flying if it's nice out. Priorities man, priorities.
Steve G., please get a pic of you and your plane you used for the Copper Level to Joe for the web site.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:57 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,439 Posts
Well the weather is finally cooperating here and I finally got the fleet mended up from last seasons flying. I am good to go. I plan to start working on the copper level straight away. My biggest hurdel has been securing a place to fly and I have succeeded in that.

Congratulations to Steve G for finishing the copper level.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old May 12, 2009, 12:49 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,074 Posts
The web page is up and running guys, Steve Goulet is the #1 Climber.

The site like the program is "under construction", if you find an error please drop the webmaster a note and I'll make sure he is flogged (<;

Who will be the next? Steve B.? Me? YOU????

Come and join the fun, it is something to do besides just practice the same old same old.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Last edited by Thermaler; Jul 29, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 12, 2009, 01:42 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,159 Posts
Just a note to let everybody know I'm still around, but have been sidelined for awhile, with work and some other issues. And I have a 60-hour week coming up, so you probably won't see much from me this coming week, at least, either.
Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old May 15, 2009, 01:37 PM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Steve and Joe, ive been out every chance i get to get in some flying, ive started on the Bronze level and i knew it wasnt gonna get any easier. 45 minutes doesnt seem like that far from 30 but holy mackerel ive had 1- 43:08 1- 43:55 1- 44:16 and 1- 44:57 im getting close but not close enough. I had to do some minor repair to the Fazer but shes ready to go again. I was flying at my shop and there is a row of trees along the fence line, never have had any problems with said trees untill the other day. I had some one looking for directions to who knows where when i was over the trees or so i thought, this person walked up in front of me (im 5'10" and hes got to be 8' tall) anyway to make a long story short i heard a noise and guess what, yep you got it the Fazer was up in the top of a Sycamore about 80' up. I thought i was up and over this BIG tree untill i stepped away from this mammoth of a person to see the Fazer resting at almost the very top. A young man that helps me at my shop just happened to show up, seen what was going on and said, Heck i can get it for you, so he did. He climbed that tree got to the Fazer and said now what, i told him to throw it out into the open area of the tree and ill fly it out. Alls well so far, the Fazer sails out into the open, no problem so far untill its time to land, drop flaps slow down for a landing and BINGO i forgot they just mowed this pasture, stuck a small stob in the bottom of the wing, oh well its fixed and ready for my 5th attempt at a 45 min. flight. Hope you guys get some good flyin weather this weekend.

Everyone have a great weekend

Steve
Old May 15, 2009, 01:38 PM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Joe, i will get you some picts sent this weekend if the weather is going to cooperate.

Steve
Old May 20, 2009, 08:55 AM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Steve, Joe, did you guys get any good flyin in last weekend? i never even got a chance to get out Going to go out this afternoon i hope, if not will be tommorrow and try again. Ive been getting so close but not close enough, thats what makes this so much fun and frustrating at the same time.
Have a great day
Steve
Old May 20, 2009, 01:47 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,546 Posts
The weather gods have been conspiring against us. Actually Joe had to work out of town and I had family commitments but the weather has been terrible as well. I'm hoping this Sunday we can get out. There's a heli fun-fly Saturday I may go to. If not I'm going to give it a go Saturday as well. I've been trying to get out during the week and use my Z-Log but haven't made it past charging the batteries yet. I mowed the runway and was set to go this morning when the farmer next door started spraying in a 10mph wind coming right at my house. I ended up hiding in the shop because I couldn't breathe thanks to the idiot. I haven't heard a word from anyone else that they're getting close to completing Copper level. You're smoking everyone so far. That will hopefully change very soon. MUHAHAHA! If we could just get one good day in I think we could catch up with you. We should have never blown off filling out the form the first day out! Good luck and good thermaling!
Old May 20, 2009, 02:26 PM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Heck Steve, it wont take much to catch up now ive been struggling to get past the 1st 45 min td flight, i think once i get that one under my belt maybe things will click rite along if not i'll just keep pluggin away till i do. This weekend so far weather wise is lookin good, won't be able to get out today, to much painting to do but im givin it a whirl tommorrow. I know what you mean about the smell from spraying, ive got a farmer real close and they just recently sprayed fields with the turkey the last time i was out flying i couldnt hardly breath and my eyes burnt so bad i couldnt see my plane. Have a great day and hurry up and get up here with me that goes for Joe too, im getting lonely

Steve
Old May 21, 2009, 03:26 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,546 Posts
I've been thinking about the program and it's "new" direction. I've started some preliminary task sets. Let me just say, I don't think you're going to get bored any time soon. It's not going to get any easier either! This program is all about soaring and soaring means "flying" in my book! You better plan on polishing up your favorite beauty because airtime is going to be required. Gold has always been meant as a symbol of excellence and from Gold Level on you're going to be working harder and putting in more time if you want to get to the top. Plan on seeing some new task sets along the way as well. It's not just going to be longer flights and tighter landings. There's about to be some all new skill sets brought into the program from what you've seen already. HL/DL, XC, nostalgia are all being looked at. I think some fun skill/nerve testing tasks are going to be added possibly as well. Most if not all of the "this or that" style stuff is going to be fazed out. Slope is about to end. In fact, I wouldn't have included it at all any more if I hadn't already started the "A3" part of slope. I feel I've devoted enough time to the slope stuff and now want to give other aspects of soaring their place in the program. Nothing is definate at this point but progress is being made once more.
************************************************** ************************************************** *********
GUYS: How are you doing? Any of you making progress? I haven't heard much from anyone lately. It's your input and participation that keep me focussed and working away at this.
Old May 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,439 Posts
Hi Steve, my Riser is ready and I am going out this weekend. I have a witness lined up and I have a big chunk of time to get the copper level worked on. I will report back and let you know how I did.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old May 21, 2009, 05:14 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,074 Posts
Check out our Groups thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917056

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler