HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:57 PM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
547 Posts
Thanks Steve, and by the way i didnt take it as being rude i keep forgetting to go back to the first page and check out whats been added. I understand everything completely now. No flying in the very near future, all we have is RAIN and more RAIN forecasted, no rain as of yet today and very light winds but no sun, heck with it im going flying.

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:25 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
No problem Steve. It looks like it's going to be a while before we get a break in the weather here as well. It's almost like winter again. Stuck in the house for days on end, I'm sick of it!
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:57 AM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
547 Posts
Did get out yesterday afternoon and was able to eek out 1 30 min td flight before the wind kicked up and the rain came in. i was mistaken earlier i thought i only had 1 30 min flight left, nope got a 30 min and landing yet to do and im finished with this one yehaw, now if the weather will only cooperate so i can attempt this last task.

Have a great day everyone
Steve
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:33 PM
Moncton, NB
Joined Aug 2005
155 Posts
Good job so far!

Steve, I haven't kept up your progress in whittling out the task requirements since the early proposals. I'm quite impressed with what you have now. I like the side-by-side either/or. I'm also glad that you included some precision elements. The forms look really good. Good job! Also, hats off to others that contributed.

I've now warmed up to the idea of having a smorgasboard of TD times within the same level. The nice thing about that variety, is that if I can't hit the longest TD time within a level, I can still qualify for a shorter one. (I can, right?)

I'll have another achievement program to work on in addition to the possible LSF sportsman program. And if the LSF one doesn't pan out, I'll still have yours which looks pretty damn good to me. Hopefully, your program will reach the critical mass of interest and won't die out in a few years.

We've had mostly good weather the last couple weeks and the soccer fields are now pretty dry. I just need to finish building this BD. (Note to self: never start a major scratch build in February.) My other glider took some major damage at the slope and I'd rather spend the time finishing my build than repairing. (Note to self: never bring a woodie RES glider to a slope with severe rotors.)
ecormier is offline Find More Posts by ecormier
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:10 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecormier
The nice thing about that variety, is that if I can't hit the longest TD time within a level, I can still qualify for a shorter one. (I can, right?)
Sure can.
Thank you for the kind words about the program's progress as well. It's been fun trying to incorporate as many people's ideas as I can into the program.
Old May 02, 2009, 03:09 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,640 Posts
let me get back after reading through, but I'll be on board!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old May 02, 2009, 06:09 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Welcome to the program. I hope you find it fun and challenging. Feel free to voice you opinions good or bad at any time. Also anything you would maybe like to see in further levels would be apreciated.
Old May 03, 2009, 02:08 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,640 Posts
Howdy Gang! Thanks to Wayne's invite, I'm here. only a couple of points of my opinion.
As a beginning electric guy, a brushed motor run of 1 minute is fair, it will take 4 minutes of a brushed ducted fan to where atwin 6" prop with speed 300 motors gets in 40 seconds, and from what I've been told, it will take 1/2 the time to altitude with brushless motors.
Looking through the metals, there is a bit of 'too easy' going through my mind for the sloping. (Minnesota style, anyway) so I would call 1.5 time on the slope to match the thermal days around here a good low level start point.
One of the other points of discussion is the landing styles of these lawn darts ( that probably cut me off on the freeway also) would be to implement a ground slide measurement. there is nothing as beautiful as a classic style bird landing in ground effect, soaking those final seconds from the clock, especially if the track is in snow.
My basic work week is presently 60 hours, so i consider it a major accomplishment to get 4 pieces of wood glued per week(end). but those are the root structure of an important 2 way bird
let's take a scary view of my brain, and see what kind of task curve i roughly came up with. you day shifters can adjust to your heart's content!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old May 04, 2009, 11:18 AM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
547 Posts
The weather has finally broke, no RAIN today and its suppose to get up into the high 60's low 70's, getting outta work early to get out and fly. I.m keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of finishing the copper level today. Steve i'm hopeing i'll be sending you my form tommorrow. Did the SSP web site get up yet? i know there was talk about it, i was just wondering if it was up yet.

Gonna get ready to FLY
See ya Steve
Old May 05, 2009, 06:06 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Web page: As far as I know, Joe hasn't had time yet due to a new work schedule. I'll be seeing him soon as we fly together and will talk to him about it then.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********
Good luck on finishing Copper level. I haven't had a witness the last couple of days or I would have got some work done on it. It looks like you will be the first to complete it.
Old May 05, 2009, 08:13 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
I have been working on it and will be showing Steve for review next time we get together at the sod farm.
Links to each pdf sheet, Climbers, a Gallery and a Hall of Fame.
It is shaping up for a good weekend at the farm for Steve and I to get going on our Copper sheet.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old May 05, 2009, 08:22 AM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
547 Posts
Steve, YEHAA first level is done. First 3 launches nothing up and down in 5 to 10 minutes, decided id wait awhile started to cloud up and even the buzzards quit flying. Just as i was headed back out ( sun came out and wind died down ) a good customer of mine stopped by to bs for a few and now i had a wittness, time to fly. My customer had never seen a sailplane fly and what a show he got, after an awesome zoom it was in lift and up she went. I didnt even set my timer rite away, i was explaining how things worked to the best of my knowledge anyway, set the timer and the game was on. 3rd beep (3min) on the TX it was at speck height and no matter where i pointed my Fazer it just kept going up. Yesterday was the first time i really ever noticed birds that high, i guess i never really payed attention before just watched my planes. At one point there must have been 10 to 15 of theses birds circling with me it got hard to distinguish who was who, so it was time to vacate the premisis and find some new air without those birds. 35:05 i was back on the ground and stuck the Fazers nose within 3' of my mark, would have stayed up longer but the ole neck was getting sore and i really had to get back to work, im lucky enough that my shop sits on 5 acres and i get to fly in between things, its no wonder i dont get as much done as i should but oh well they'll get done someday when im not out flying.

Have a great day

Steve
Old May 05, 2009, 08:42 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Congrats Steve G!!!! Got a photo of you and the Fazer???

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old May 05, 2009, 09:04 AM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
547 Posts
Joe, not yet but i will soon was going to fly my Experience Pro but the Fazer was together and beggin to be flown, ive been flying the Fazer when it gets alittle windy and ive got a ballast set for it when needed. Im still needing to do some tweaking on my Xpro, just some programming tweaks is all, ive been practicing my launches and landings maybe someday ill get good Just last year i got back into r/c after being away for a long time, and sailplanes have always been my favorite, now im hooked again. Cant wait to start on the next level it aint gonna get any easier from here. I think ill have to break out the lawn chairs for the next level, 2 45 min TD flights to start with, 30 minutes was bad enough but we can do it i hope.

Have a great day
Steve
Old May 05, 2009, 11:52 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!! We have our first Copper Level member. I can't wait to get the sheet and make it official! I'm as happy as a pig in, well you know.
************************************************** ************************************************** *********
Joe: Hopefully we can get some flying in this weekend if all of the rain they're calling for doesn't ruin it for us at the turf farm. If so and you want to come check out my place you know you're always welcome. I can't wait to see what you've done for the web stuff. Thanks again for all of your work on it.
************************************************** ************************************************** *******
I've asked the moderators if they could make this a sticky thread to make it more visable to the public to help promote the SSP.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********
Is anyone else getting close or making progress on their Copper Level? If so, share your stories. Thanks. -Steve-
Last edited by Steve Boone; May 06, 2009 at 06:55 AM.