SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jaron, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 05:43 AM
Northampton, UK
Joined Dec 2005
41 Posts
Clearly I didn't have enough up elevon at neutral. I'd forgotten the rest of my wings have significant up elevon.

A bit more about my build: I used 3mm depron doubled to 6mm everywhere except the winglets. Am not sure how that compares to 6mm depron, probably a bit heavier with the glue in the middle. If I were to build another I'd go get some 6mm depron as it's a pain having to cut everything out twice. I caused myself problems by using 1/8" liteply; the drawings were based on thinner so it didn't quite match up, but it worked well enough - I have a bit of a gap on the canopy ends.

I extended my spars all the way to the end of the wings as it seemed to add rigidity for little extra weight. Seems to have worked well based on cartwheeling on the wing tips a couple of times during my test flights yesterdays.

I'm running a Turnigy SK2826-1350 motor on a Turnigy Plush 25A ESC, 2 x HXT900 servos, AR9000 Rx. I'm currently using my normal 2200 mAH 3S wing LiPo which is possibly a little over the top for this model but it's what I have handy. I also have a i-gotU GPS tracker on-board and I'm about to add a D001 (MD80-knock off) mini DV Video Recorder .
matburnham is offline Find More Posts by matburnham
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2009, 04:02 PM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
Jaron, a question regarding the Camileo S10.
I have just got one very cheap off eBay @ 35GBP (complete and undamaged apart from the outermost lens part - doesn't seem to affect quality. I have an old digital camera with broken lens and I intend to make the outermost lens part fit. I think it is more of a dust cover than lens).

I can only get mine to operate with the LCD screen open - it will close to within maybe 6 millimetres, then powers itself off.

So, my question, how do you operate the camera with the LCD screen closed?
Have you made a modification to the camera?

matburnham's link to a cheap video camera is also interesting, I'd be interested to see the resulting quality.

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:07 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
224 Posts
Nigel, I didn't modify the camera. You just close it with the LCD on the outside and then it stays on.

I'd say you're right with the assumption, that the most outer glass/plastic part of the optics is just a dust cover.
jaron is offline Find More Posts by jaron
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:30 AM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
Thanks Jaron, I would have worked out the LCD in due course !

Nigel.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
Northampton, UK
Joined Dec 2005
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonboy View Post
matburnham's link to a cheap video camera is also interesting, I'd be interested to see the resulting quality.
I've not had chance to get a flight in with my camera yet, but a friend has some footage on YouTube from a pukka MD80 which I think he bought from Maplin (albeit at about 80).

Radian Glider, Aerial Video various angles MD 80 camera, Manor Farm Heliclub (7 min 42 sec)

One issue with the knock-off versus the pukka one is that it displays a time/date overlay in the corner of the video. It does not appear possible to disable this which is a shame, but not a major issue. Oh, and the other thing was that it came pre-loaded with a virus on the SD card - something to be aware of but easily solved by a reformat.
matburnham is offline Find More Posts by matburnham
Last edited by matburnham; Nov 11, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:47 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
224 Posts
I added a DXF file of the plan in post #1.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:05 AM
Joined Aug 2008
208 Posts
I'm unable to open your dxf file- can you save it as a dwg?
Moose2 is offline Find More Posts by Moose2
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:37 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
224 Posts
I added a DWG file of the plan in post #1.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 03:12 AM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
i am very fond of your design, thank you for sharing it. i will be building mine this week.
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Nov 22, 2009, 05:01 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
224 Posts
Nice, mecevans! I'm looking forward for your build.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:52 AM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
I now have all the bits needed for my build, trouble is, I have some more urgent jobs to do first

Jaron, have you seen this...
http://www.rc-tech.ch/index.php/en/h...&category_id=7

Nigel.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 01:39 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
224 Posts
That's very interesting. Although the 239$ price tag is a bit hefty and I don't know if the 10mW output is any good for FPV or the like.
I can get the camera only for 145$ at my local electronics shop.

Common Nigel, what's more important in a man's life than building a scratch built foamy...
Old Nov 22, 2009, 02:09 PM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
10mW TX power @ 2.4GHz is all that is legally permitted in the UK (and lots of Europe).
I have the possibility of a 'dead' S10 so may get it to strip down and play with.

Time is my enemy at the moment, I have too many hobbies - 4x4 off roading, Amateur Radio, Digital photography (DSLR), RC helis & 'planes, lots of big boys toys
I have my Trex 450 on the bench at the moment, the 4x4 in the garage, a shack full of radio gear and no room for anything else.
The 4x4 is going as soon as it's fit to sell, plus all the spare parts, so will have some time to play with smaller 'engines' !

I like the idea of FPV and my amateur radio licence will allow me to play with different frequencies & power levels

Nigel.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:19 AM
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
not done with mine yet but some tips for success...

-when printing the templates print as dark as possible

-put the template on a glass table, shelf,or whatever, and put the brightest light you have under it. the more light the easier it is to line it all up. then tape them together.

-straight edge (mine was warped had to get new one), square, ruler, pins and a sharp pencil .

-once you have the wing template drawn on your foam, cut out only the outer edges. then stack that template onto another piece of foam. push the pins through both pieces at all corners and every other point. you just saved your self time from drawing the second set.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 06:12 AM
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
Re-branded Toshiba!?? $89!

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...mcorder-Black/