Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jaron, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:20 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
PM sent
jaron is offline Find More Posts by jaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2009, 04:26 PM
Northampton, UK
Joined Dec 2005
41 Posts
I see you've changed to a folding prop, did you find the plain one to be a problem on landing?
matburnham is offline Find More Posts by matburnham
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:31 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
I had a bent motor shaft once, maybe because I didn't use a prop saver.
The new folding prop I'm using now is an 8x4 instead of 7x4 as the fixed one was.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:38 PM
Northampton, UK
Joined Dec 2005
41 Posts
Looks like a folding props are the best bet then, but I'm struggling to find anything suitable. The LHS had very little in the way of folders so I was out of luck playing in there and need to order something online.

I'm struggling to find anything of a suitable size. I've got a Graupner Cam Folding Prop arrangement from an old glider with 38mm hub. This seems too big, as if the hub will catch even if the blades fold! 38mm is the minimum Graupner seem to do, APC are a little smaller at 35mm, but still too big. What size hub did you use? I can't believe they don't make smaller ones, but I suppose they'd be running out of metal with the full 8mm shaft. As it is I'll have to fashion an 8mm/5mm adapter.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:14 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
This is the 30mm hub I'm using:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7839

...and these are the blades:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7981

I had to put an aluminum shim between the nut and the hub so that the blades don't intersect when they are folding.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:24 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
Yet another aerial video.

You can download the higher quality video (without the distortions) here: http://uavplayground.googlecode.com/...x480-60fps.mp4
It's 60fps and you might need a good graphics card or a fast computer.

Aerial Video - Lucerne - Switzerland (4 min 45 sec)
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:49 PM
Northampton, UK
Joined Dec 2005
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaron
I think I've got it now, you throw away the collet relating to the 3.2mm shaft diameter and just bolt straight to the motor's reverse mount kit? So I just need fabricate a bush to take it down from 8mm (presumably?) to 5mm?

Impressive video!
Last edited by matburnham; Oct 26, 2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Worked out the word for 'cylindrical adaptor'!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 02:53 AM
Creteil, France
Joined Nov 2003
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaron
Yet another aerial video.

You can download the higher quality video (without the distortions) here: http://uavplayground.googlecode.com/...x480-60fps.mp4
It's 60fps and you might need a good graphics card or a fast computer.
How do you get 60 fps?
vpersiani is offline Find More Posts by vpersiani
Old Oct 27, 2009, 01:30 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
matburnham, I'm using the hub's collet. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of the modification I've done.

vpersiani, the Toshiba Camileo S10's WVGA mode (848 x 480) is 60fps.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:47 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
These are the pictures of the modification.

I use a custom made 2 mm aluminum shim between the nut and the hub. Like that the blades don't intersect too much when they are folding.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:59 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
The power system of my forthcoming UAV/AP flying wing design arrived today:
- Turnigy 2836-1000 1000 KV brushless motor
- Turnigy Plush 40 A speed controller
- 10 x 5 folding propeller
Old Nov 06, 2009, 03:15 PM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
@ matburnham

Have you had a look around in here for folding props...
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/folding-pr...wAll=1&sort=2a

Quick delivery in the UK too.

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Nov 07, 2009, 11:27 AM
Northampton, UK
Joined Dec 2005
41 Posts
Maidened my wing today. Though not too gusty, it was a little windy so I didn't fly for too long. It needs a few tweaks, but looking good.

I think I need a little more throw on the elevons. I've used the top hole on both servo and control horn, I think I'm going to drop the control horn side down one hole to give just a little more throw. I had to hold quite a bit of up elevator in, more than I could do via the trim. So I need to shorten my control rods a little; unfortunately as they're just wire with z-bends at either end they're not adjustable. How much up-elevator for level flight have others found necessary?

I needed more throttle to sustain flight than I'm used to on a wing, but I've got a 7x4 prop on at present. I have 8x4 blades for it, so maybe I'll try those next. I spent far too long trying to find a suitable folding prop but settled on a Graupner CAM folding prop set with 7x4 blades from electricwingman.com in the end. I also got some Aeronaut CAMcarbon 8x4 folding prop blades as those are the only ones with an 8mm root.

I think it needs a lick of paint for visibility. Am not sure of colours yet, and I need to research suitable paints for depron.

Well chuffed.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 05:47 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
Awesome, Mat!!

These are my elevon throw limits:
- neutral (level flight): 6mm up
- elevator up: 19mm
- aileron up: 19mm
Old Nov 08, 2009, 02:52 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
221 Posts
I designed the plane around the 7 mm Depron I can get cheap at my local building supplies store. As this seems to be a rather exotic thickness and as others start building the plane, I occasionally get asked about alternatives.

In my opinion it should be possible to do the build with 6 mm Depron. In this case I'd recommend to lengthen the spars from 300 mm (13 in) to maybe 500 mm (20 in) each. This is not a must but it'll reinforce the wing and wouldn't add to much weight anyway.

What foam did those of you use who built the plane and what are your experiences with it?
Last edited by jaron; Nov 08, 2009 at 06:46 AM.