SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jaron, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 06:48 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
559 Posts
This is a very interesting plane and I WANY ONE!!!! Thanks for the plans, but I can't get the PDF's to open .... I'm using Acrobat 4.0.... Any ideas?

Thanks, Nick
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2009, 01:26 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
230 Posts
Nick, if you update your Acrobat Reader you should be able to open the plan.
jaron is offline Find More Posts by jaron
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:12 AM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Jaron,
Any updates on the autopilot? I just picked up a arduino today to play with...there is far to much development happening with this unit for me to stay away from!

I think I will be reworking my canopy a little on my wing to reduce the size a bit as I have LOADs of room. Hopefully in the coming days I will get a flight in with my new 2100 packs...should get me in the range of 30-45min flights .

Curt
Flipper_118 is offline Find More Posts by Flipper_118
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:55 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
230 Posts
Curt, I'm currently focusing on the software of the ground station. Right now there are some interesting developments on the hardware side of DIY UAVs going on, like affordable IMUs or design(s) based on the Arduino Mega. Some of those project will be simplified, considerably improved or released within the next six month or so. That's why I didn't push my own hardware adoption.

If you start carrying around hardware with your flying wing, you will soon realize that there is never to much room. I designed my UAV Flying Wing around an Arduino (and the width of the backseat of my car) but now as I'm tinkering with the Arduino Mega I wish I had more room.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:26 AM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaron
Curt, I'm currently focusing on the software of the ground station. Right now there are some interesting developments on the hardware side of DIY UAVs going on, like affordable IMUs or design(s) based on the Arduino Mega. Some of those project will be simplified, considerably improved or released within the next six month or so. That's why I didn't push my own hardware adoption.

If you start carrying around hardware with your flying wing, you will soon realize that there is never to much room. I designed my UAV Flying Wing around an Arduino (and the width of the backseat of my car) but now as I'm tinkering with the Arduino Mega I wish I had more room.
Interesting,
I have been watching the development of IMU's for UAV's on DIY Drones. I would defiantly like to have a platform running with IMU's and try to rid the autopilot of IR sensors for leveling...I guess we'll have to see what develops.
Flipper_118 is offline Find More Posts by Flipper_118
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:50 PM
Northampton, UK
Joined Dec 2005
41 Posts
I think I'm going to have a go at one of these. If I were to use 3mm Depron, should I just double it up to 6mm, or do something clever like have more airfoil steps? I do have some 6mm Depron, but I'm not sure I've got enough.
matburnham is offline Find More Posts by matburnham
Old Sep 22, 2009, 05:57 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
230 Posts
Mat, I don't know how the additional steps in the airfoil would affect the flight characteristics. You could ask the question in the Kline-Fogleman thread.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:42 PM
Northampton, UK
Joined Dec 2005
41 Posts
Jaron,

I'll take a look at that, but I think I'll try and stick to your design (even if it means glueing 3mm depron together) for a first try, and then fiddle about later.

Mat
matburnham is offline Find More Posts by matburnham
Old Oct 13, 2009, 05:38 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
559 Posts
Jaron,

How did you mount the Toshiba Camileo S10 camera on the plane?

Thx, Nick
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:49 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
230 Posts
The camera is strapped to the firewall, pointing downwards at about 7 degrees.
It sits in a Styrofoam frame that acts like a clamp when the camera is fastened with the Velcro strap.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:29 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
559 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply... the vidios with this camera are really fantastic. Other question.... I cut out the "ply parts" from your plans and I have several pieces that I am unable to find a place for. they appear to be similar to the nose pieces, but they are not shown in the pictures. These are the ones without the "tabs" .

Thanks for a great design.... hope to have mine flying soon.

Nick
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:30 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
230 Posts
Nick I'm not completely sure what you mean but could it be that you are referring to the nose cone foam pieces (layers)? Those parts are stacked together but instead you could use two pieces of thicker foam (upper and lower nose cone halves).

For a better understanding you might have a look at the plan, the wooden parts are the brown ones.

And hey, it's great to see you "diving" into the build!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:24 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
559 Posts
Thanks,

They are foam pieces.... I just used "Dow Blue".... I have some that is 2" thick for the nose. Parts are starting to come in but I'll be out of town for the next 3 weeks. So no more on the plane for a short time.

Nick
Old Oct 17, 2009, 07:52 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
230 Posts
Telemetry testing

I've spent some time on the software for the ground control station lately and did some telemetry flights.

Configuration
- Arduino Mega microcontroller
- DIY shield for the Arduino
- GPS module EM-406A
- XBee Pro with wire antenna
- XBee Pro adapter kit
- 1350 mAh 3S LiPo battery (motor and RC gear)
- 750 mAh 2S LiPo battery (electronics)
- FlyCamOne˛

The overall weight with this setup is 675 grams.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:45 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaron
I've spent some time on the software for the ground control station lately and did some telemetry flights.

Configuration
- Arduino Mega microcontroller
- DIY shield for the Arduino
- GPS module EM-406A
- XBee Pro with wire antenna
- XBee Pro adapter kit
- 1350 mAh 3S LiPo battery (motor and RC gear)
- 750 mAh 2S LiPo battery (electronics)
- FlyCamOne˛

The overall weight with this setup is 675 grams.
This is exactly what I was planning - I am interested in making up a "standard" platform for collecting and transmitting telemetry data using the XBees. What kink of range did you get and which XBee were you using?

Matt
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge