HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jaron, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 08, 2009, 10:45 AM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaron
Curt, I'm looking forward for the first results of your build. What autopilot are you going to use?
I think I am going to use one of my 18F4685 PIC's to run as a simple autopilot as that is currently what I use for development where I work. I have looked into using ardupilot from DIY dones...but I would like to experiment with a homemade version. Initially it will run as a simple flight data logger and then slowly work more towards automation.
Tonight I should be able to install the BEC unit and hopefully get my elevons attached in a manner I like then its pictures and test flights.

Curt
Flipper_118 is offline Find More Posts by Flipper_118
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:54 AM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Just a quick pic. Not flight tested or fully completed...I'll post updated pics and flight report in my blog once I finish.

Curt
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:32 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
215 Posts
Thanks for the picture. It's great to see somebody using my design.

You could consider to make the winglets maybe 20mm higher and with 10mm more chord on the outer/upper side. This is not a must and the plane flies very well with the winglets as they are in the original design.
jaron is offline Find More Posts by jaron
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:04 AM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the picture. It's great to see somebody using my design.

You could consider to make the winglets maybe 20mm higher and with 10mm more chord on the outer/upper side. This is not a must and the plane flies very well with the winglets as they are in the original design.
Thanks, I will use larger winglets when I build them today. Hopefully I will get a flight in later today or tomorrow. I have also thought about installing a hardware vtail mixer so I am able to run a gyro on the elevator or aileron but I'll have to see how if flies before doing that.

Curt
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:31 AM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
The wing flies amazingly well! See my blog for more details on my rendition of Jaron's design.

Curt
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:22 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
215 Posts
Curt, I've seen your blog posts. What motor are you running on the wing? How does it fly compared to your other planes? What's the width and height of the canopy/fuselage?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 02:43 PM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Curt, I've seen your blog posts. What motor are you running on the wing? How does it fly compared to your other planes? What's the width and height of the canopy/fuselage?
Jaron, sorry I have been away for a bit. The motor is a 1000kv outrunner swinging a 9x4.5 in prop if memory serves me right. Only puts out about 22oz of thrust static but seems to work well with this airframe. The canopy is approx 80mm at its thickest point and tapers very similar to yours at the nose and tail.

The plan flies amazingly well. It flies very similar to my 60" zagnut I built for aerial photography a few years back....I would actually say that your design with the smaller control surfaces isnt quite as responsive as my zagnut but this seems to make it quite a bit more stable and makes it easier to fly smoothly, an excellent design for a beginner or someone who wants a nice stable base to work with. With your smaller and thinner cord it seems to handle the wind better considering the same wing loadings and the airfoil looks to be quite efficient as mine just sips at the power during flight. Should be a really nice plane for some long duration flights once I get my flight gear installed to balance it correctly.
Despite its airfoil I find that mine will fly upside down without to much difficulty...never would have expected that with the particular airfoil it uses.

I used your wing program listed in your blog and found that the recommended CG was just a touch nose heavy....but better that then tail heavy on a flying wing. All in all a perfect flier for what I am intending to do with it. I will post some updated pictures and possibly a video once I complete a little more work on it.

Curt
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:33 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,427 Posts
Just spooling up to build one. A couple of questions if I may? Is the C of G position the 264 distance shown on the plan elevation of the plan?
Also what type of foam did you use? Looks like 6mm depron but haven't yet found it listed...probably me!

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 08, 2009, 01:00 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
215 Posts
Gordon, I didn't have the time yet to refine the plan or to do a build log, so your questions are welcome.

Yes the CG is 264mm from the front as in the plan. The design tools I used are now listed in the first post. You could check the CG with WinLaengs4.

The foam I used is 7mm depron I bought in a building supplies store.
Old Aug 09, 2009, 05:12 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
215 Posts
I added some information to the first post including a draft of the building instructions (PDF). The latter is more a script for a future build log than a real building instruction but I hope it helps to all who would like to build the plane.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:16 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
215 Posts
Improved the PDF plan (now version 1.1).
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,427 Posts
jaron
I am having trouble printing out the file, so I am having to measure an A4 version and scale it up! Is it possible to generate a tile-print version of your plan for us please?
Its really the templetes I'm after. I am assuming that the wing panels are cut from a 607mm x 668mm sheet. The indents at each side appear to be 30mm.
Alternatively a few dimensions on the fuselage templetes will help me work it out with a bit more accuracy....

Thanks

Gordon
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:56 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
215 Posts
Gordon, could you try to print out the attached PDF? It's not optimized but I think it should help you with the templates.

There is no indent for the wing panels. The lines that you see at 30mm is the dimensioning. The panels themselves have a width of 620mm (half the wing span).
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:24 PM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2007
215 Posts
Version 1.2 of the plan ready for download. The dimensioning for the wing panels is now improved.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:08 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,427 Posts
Many thanks for v1.2 and the tiled templetes.