HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2009, 03:40 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
i had the yak and loved it. the stab never gave me any problems, but the gear mount was weak, and i eventaully had to replace the entire gear area.

other than that, i loved it!
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:10 AM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
i usually flood the gear mount area with super thin ca which wicks into the surrounding wood. it beefs it up really good, and in only a few minutes at that.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:20 PM
Lynn Haven, FL
Joined Jul 2008
34 Posts
I just finished my first flight tonight. All I can say is that this plane is unbelievable! I spent a lot of time ensuring all controls were set perfectly and the plane balanced out correctly. Well, it all paid off, because first flight I didn't have to trim anything! Not one thing! I set the plane up to the min throw values with a 35% increase for dual rates. Never touched the dual rates switch. Granted, this is my first aerobat, but I think that speaks for itself. If a rookie like me can put this plane together (sure it took me 2 months) and fly it perfectly (with a lot of G4 practice) it has to be a good thing, right?! I can't wait until tomorrow!
stuhrw is offline Find More Posts by stuhrw
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:07 AM
Joined Aug 2006
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhrw
I just finished my first flight tonight. All I can say is that this plane is unbelievable! I spent a lot of time ensuring all controls were set perfectly and the plane balanced out correctly. Well, it all paid off, because first flight I didn't have to trim anything! Not one thing! I set the plane up to the min throw values with a 35% increase for dual rates. Never touched the dual rates switch. Granted, this is my first aerobat, but I think that speaks for itself. If a rookie like me can put this plane together (sure it took me 2 months) and fly it perfectly (with a lot of G4 practice) it has to be a good thing, right?! I can't wait until tomorrow!
what motor & prop combo did you use? Now that you've had a couple weeks with it how is the plane looking now?
NJNJperson is offline Find More Posts by NJNJperson
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:37 PM
Lynn Haven, FL
Joined Jul 2008
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNJperson
what motor & prop combo did you use? Now that you've had a couple weeks with it how is the plane looking now?
Motor is the recommended rimfire 35-30-1250. Prop is a 10X6. The plane still is in perfect condition. All of my landings were spot on (for the most part!). It's very easy to take off and land, especially with the flap mixing setup I have dialed in to switch 6 on my Futaba transmitter. This plane handles pretty well in wind as well. Plenty of power to get out of trouble when required.

In mounting the cowling, I did have a minor issue that needed correction. I tried to locate the front of the cowl 1/8" from the prop, as spec'd in the instructions. This left a small air gap on the bottom between the aft side of the cowl and the LE of the battery hatch. I assumed this would be fine, which it was not. It ended up creating an eery "howling" sound when the plane was in a dive (kinda like the airwolf screech, for those that remember the show). Although it was sort of cool, I corrected this by relocating the cowling further aft until it slightly lapped over the hatch. Now I have about a 1/2" air gap between the prop and the cowl, and the motor hangs out by about 1/8". Still looks great though.

Most recently, I screwed up and overdischarged the battery a couple of days ago, so I need to buy another. No worries there....just temporarily grounded.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 06:01 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Hey guys. I have had mine sitting here almost finished for 2 weeks. Seems GP forgot to add my cowl plywood ring to my kit. I called them and they said no problem...sending one right out. Well....Friday, 2 weeks after calling them...the UPS man had a sizeable package for me. I'm all excited, thinking finally I can get this plane finished.
I opened the box and there the parts were...all 6 large plywood disks, obviously for a very large 1/4 scale cowl of some sorts. Just my darn luck. I called them again and once again they are sending me out the part. It seems the plywood part HAS to come with a cowl, so I get both, no charge or course. I guess maybe in another 2 weeks I might finally get to finish her up. Hope so. Everything is done but adding the cowl on the nose. I did add/change a few things but kept it mostly stock. The best add was using a Dubro .40 tailwheel mount instead of that dumb piece of plywood skid. Beach Barbie is also the pilot, and she's getting anxious to fly!
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2009, 06:41 AM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
i use the same dubro tail wheel, it works a charm.
about the cowl ring, i muffed up glueing mine in straight so i just used some really tiny screws.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 11:34 AM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
I thought my plywood ring was missing as well, but I went back to the box and looked closer, they taped it to the side of the box. If you still have your original box you may want to look closer as it may be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Hey guys. I have had mine sitting here almost finished for 2 weeks. Seems GP forgot to add my cowl plywood ring to my kit. I called them and they said no problem...sending one right out. Well....Friday, 2 weeks after calling them...the UPS man had a sizeable package for me. I'm all excited, thinking finally I can get this plane finished.
I opened the box and there the parts were...all 6 large plywood disks, obviously for a very large 1/4 scale cowl of some sorts. Just my darn luck. I called them again and once again they are sending me out the part. It seems the plywood part HAS to come with a cowl, so I get both, no charge or course. I guess maybe in another 2 weeks I might finally get to finish her up. Hope so. Everything is done but adding the cowl on the nose. I did add/change a few things but kept it mostly stock. The best add was using a Dubro .40 tailwheel mount instead of that dumb piece of plywood skid. Beach Barbie is also the pilot, and she's getting anxious to fly!
Ken
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2009, 09:28 AM
Lynn Haven, FL
Joined Jul 2008
34 Posts
still flying

Just an update.....

still a great flyer! No incidents yet, although here are a few of my observations:

- Paint scheme is very difficult to tell top from bottom. Since the plane is small and very fast, it gets away from you quickly, and becomes difficult to tell top from bottom. I may add some bright green or orange to the bottom.

- Howling--still haven't completely figured this out yet, although I do have to say that it is kinda cool. The plane still howls at higher speed. It's not a vibrating sound......just a weird howl. An experienced RC friend of mine told me to figure it out, because it could be a vibration that will eventually lead to a failure. Still looking for the root cause. I tried to duplicate with a leaf blower (yeah....I know....) with no resolution.

- My steerable tail wheel design is still holding up flawlessly.
Old Jul 06, 2009, 10:31 AM
Paper Crafter
Joined Apr 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Ken
If you like to do snaps and blenders then you do not want to trust those magnets to hold the cowel in place. The cowel will disloge and get cought in the prop. After the 2nd mid air prop break I used 3 small wood screwes, 1 on the top and 2 on the sides. make sure they go into the thick wood not the balsa. In other words you do not need that cowel ring I removed mine.

The howeling noise is the wind rushing threw the cowel and over the wings. the faster you go the louder it is.
Crackskull is offline Find More Posts by Crackskull
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:27 AM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Interesting about the cowl trying to commit suicide by throwing itself into the prop like that?! I will look into it and see if I can come up with something.
Glad to see some of you are having fun with yours.
I think Beach Barbie is starting to get bored waiting to fly..........
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:12 AM
Joined Aug 2006
227 Posts
Cowl angst / HS-55 for Ailerons NOT! / Motor Mount angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Thanks for the info guys. Interesting about the cowl trying to commit suicide by throwing itself into the prop like that?! I will look into it and see if I can come up with something.
Glad to see some of you are having fun with yours.
I think Beach Barbie is starting to get bored waiting to fly..........
Ken
==Cowl==
I finished building mine this weekend and made certain the cowl ring was co-planar on all four magnets. That whole exercise took over an hour. It's quite challenging trying to figure out whether all four magnets are making full face-face direct contact. There could be air gaps between 1 or 2 magnets. I finally found the solution by taking the eraser end of a pencil and pushing hard against the backside of each magnet to make sure that contact is ideal.

I also found that if the top-center part and bottom-center part of the cowl ring have a twist in them, the magnet may only have partial contact. Then make sure after all that wrestling, the cowl is oriented in all directions correctly. Major PITA. Took me over an hour to get it right.

And now I've got that same silly air gap that StuHRW has between the cowl and the battery hatch. To fix this eyesore, I extended the bottom edge of the cowl with some 1" white Brother label printer tape. I put some paper on the exposed adhesive side so it wouldn't stick to the battery hatch.

=HS-55 Ailerons - DON'T=
With this being my first 300W 3-D Balsa, I didn't know any better and put trusty new HS-55s. HS-55 worked great for my other five planes. On my second flight, I put it into a full throttle positive cross-snap (up elevator, aileron rudder opposite). At that point I heard a major mechanical groan echo through the fuselage. I brought it down for an inspection. It turns out that I stripped both HS-55 servos on the ailerons.

I had the ailerons set to 3-D throws, so HS-55s on smaller throws might be fine. I had mine positioned at the 2nd most aggressive point on the control horn to achieve the recommended 3-D throw.

I'll be studying the Hitec servo chart to find the equivalent Karbonite or metal gear HS-55.

=Motor Mount does not fit E-Flite Park 480 X-brackets=
The recommended RimFire 35-30-1250 GPMG4595 brushless outrunner is out of stock at Tower Hobbies until mid-August. I had rough equivalents, a 300W BP Hobbies A2814-8 and 280W Park 480 1020kv. To my surprise, the SU-31 motor mount does not accommodate the X-mountain plate of either motor. Partially, my fault as the manual does state "Motors from other manufacturers may work with the
Sukhoi SU-31 EP ARF; However the included motor mounting components are designed to work specifically with the Great Planes motor listed.
".

I would have appreciated wording a bit more emphatic, but such is life. Electrifly fortunately provides a blank plate motor mounting bracket, but choosing that means you won't be able to use the RimFire motor at a later date. Anyhow, I turned that motor mount into an adapter plate that will take the standard BP Hobbies/E-Flite X-bracket. I'm also ordering the GPMG1205 X-bracket in the hopes that it will mount BP Motor without my adapter plate.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:51 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
NJ,
Thanks for the detailed info on fitting the cowl. I just received my cowl ring and new cowl in the mail yesterday. I can't wait to tackle the install job! You have given me some good ideas.
I have a large selection of different sized magnets, so I am planning on using some larger diameter magnets to provide some extra holding power. I will definitely pay close attention to how they all mate up. Fitting cowls has never been one of the more enjoyable chores for me!!!
Good luck on mounting your other motors, I'm sure you will come up with a solution. Hope you haven't messed up any prop to cowl measurements and have to start over anywhere?!
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:21 PM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
fitting/attaching fg cowlings is imho the single worst aspect of this hobby
Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2006
227 Posts
The manual is excellent. It provides detailed flight information that is very helpful. In retrospect, coming from EPP 3-D planes, I'm a complete noob at balsa 3-d planes. For ex: "huh? I have to let off the throttle on the down leg of a loop?" You mean I can't do full throttle snap rolls?

Left unchecked and without club advice, this generation of 3-D foam park flying trainers can really reinforce some bad habits.

The biggest revelation for me was this statement in the manual:

"..straight and level flight should be at a reduced throttle and full power should be used only when the airplane is “loaded” during a maneuver."