Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2009, 04:27 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,181 Posts
Looking great Phil. Very sturdy and clean looking build on the P-40 and zero. You are moving right along.
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2009, 12:07 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Feb 2009
25 Posts
Thanks for the detailed pics Phil. I'm going to try and install a dowel in the front then a blind nut in the back on my Cessna. I'm lacking the tubing so I think I'll try and use some plywood both to join the wings and so it won't get compressed when I tighten it.

That is a very smart and simple motor mount. And a much better motor choice than what I picked (http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...4&pid=B3665238) both in price and in the fact the shaft extends more than 4mm in front of the motor. I think I'm going to have to modify the cowling to keep the motor from rubbing against it.

I did some preliminary sheeting with your method and it worked pretty well minus CA'ing my fingers to the wood three times. And damn do those fumes give a heck of a headache.

Thanks for all the advice and the great detailed pictures, and keep up the good work!!!

Chris
skitillz is offline Find More Posts by skitillz
Old May 17, 2009, 06:30 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
... Posted the pics on the wrong thread

heh heh
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; May 17, 2009 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Oops wrong model info posted
Old May 20, 2009, 02:43 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
O.K. Phil we all, even me, make the odd mistake, but where the hell are they, I need a new shot of P.40 pics'!!!!

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old May 26, 2009, 04:49 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
Progress pics

A bit more donme now. Wing fillets are done & final fuselage sanding is done.
The aileron servo is in place & ready to go.
The horns have a sleeve (silicone insulation from some 16 gage wire) over the vertical stick, bends 90 degrees & picks up any compound movements.
Inside it is a small piece of sullivan tube CA'd in place.
Into this goes the little piano wire which has a Z bend into the servo horn.
It's all removeable by lifting the tube up off the control rod end but it's not adjustable.
I did all this before cutting the ailerons out of the wing so it is fully aligned with the wing.
If it presents a problem later on, I'll make a new sleev & use EZ connectors.
Done it this way before with good results, no reason to think it will fail.
Cost nothing to make if you keep & recycle old scraps

Covering is Hobby King stuff. A touch heavier than SoLite but much lighter than Solarfilm & once you get used to it seems quite acceptable. the glue is good, the plastic is good & the colour in not translucent so would be great on open frames for scale planes as you won't see the ribs.

So back to it tonight I hope, finish the fuse & do the wing.
Looks like we're 3 weeks out from maidens now.

Phil
Old May 26, 2009, 05:56 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Great, you're back! It's still looking superb, though you must consentrate more on your models instead of drawing on your bench Phill!!!

Jeff.
Old May 26, 2009, 07:08 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
ha ha cheers Jeff - yeah, you're right there mate.
It's a mobile bench in my workshop & doubles as a bar as well.
My wife & my mates hang out there & we drink while I do the planes.
They can't help but write 'special' things there.
Also my 5 yo daughter is a dead set artist in the making - draws on anything that's not moving.

Phil
Old May 26, 2009, 07:54 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
My wife has only just broken me of scribbling on the walls!

Have I missed a postas to what scheme this little gem will be finished in? I appreciate it's a bit soon.

Jeff
Old May 26, 2009, 08:19 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
It will be a standard Olive Drab - white spinner.
One from the US 49th Fighter Squadron that fought over Darwin.
Some did have the sharks mouth on the cowling but I prob won't go down that track unless there is an off-the shelf decal for this scale.
I may go for a white rudder which whilst not a 49th FS feature, helps me see better.
I have a little 31" Yak 9 that is done this way & it's a huge help to see on an overcast day.
But essentially the P-40E & the A6M2 Zero that I'm building concurrently were combatants over Darwin.
Neither survived the conflict & both have remains in the Darwin Aviation museum.

I don't have any good quality pics of them but you get the idea as they're typical schemes for each country.

Phil
Old May 26, 2009, 08:26 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Sounds good Phil.
I'm as guilty as the next guy with regard to shaks mouth. Good to see you not going that route.

Jeff.

P.S. You learn all the time! I did'nt know Zero's and P.40's had scrapped over Australia!!
Old May 26, 2009, 09:11 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
Yep - Feb 19 1942 was the first of 64 raids on Darwin.
The IJN fleet sailed from Pearl Harbour (7 Dec '41) over to here & 93 aircraft had a crack at us.
The USAAF was based there at the time & put up their P-40E's.
One of my great uncles was a digger there at the time & was posted on duty to guard a fallen aircraft.
Being the opportunist he was, he pinched some aluminium from the wreck to make a cast model of a Spitfire later that year.
This little gem was passed down the family to me and is a prized possession.
I never found out which aircraft it was that it came from & never will as he died when I was 12.
I also asked for the section of ammo belt with 3 live rounds of Japanese machine gun rounds that he 'liberated', but was denied as too young at the time & they were 'disposed of'.
Shame really, they would have been great for the Darwin museum.
That's where the little Spitty will end up one day as none of my kids/nephews seem remotely interested yet.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings but I'll post a pic of the Spitty in the Zero thread.
Enough about me Jeff, what are you building/flying at the moment?

Phil
Old May 26, 2009, 09:41 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Still waiting for some good weather. Took my little old K.K. 'Ladybird' out yesterday, but discovered at the field the lipo' had died. It was perfect conditions, about a 1 knot breeze, and overcast! still, always another day.
Nothing on the board at the moment, It's a toss up between a 72" B.17 (tony Nuijhuis plans) and a Sterling Stearman kit that's been in the loft since the late '70's.

I really must make the effort to do more. The trouble is, i see builds like your P.40 and Zero, and want to build them, So you understand my lack of balsa bashing is all your fault!

Fascinating anecdote there Phil re the P.40's and Zero's.

Jeff
Old May 29, 2009, 03:31 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
Progress pics

Covering of the P-40 is now done.
In all honesty it is has about 2hrs work to go before maiden & I could do it this Sunday but I do want both to maiden the same day.
So maybe next weekend.
This will give me time to make 100% sure that all is in order.

Phil
Old May 29, 2009, 09:58 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Phil Looks great. What weight are you comming in at? Are you still keeping track of time in? just curious. Good luck on the maiden.

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old May 29, 2009, 10:03 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
Hi Mark,
I set it up this morning for flight & it comes in at 11.2oz.
I'm goging to reduce that though for maiden as the 1200ma/hr 2s pack is too heavy & she balances right on the wing LE.
I may even have to put weight down the back to compensate.
So much for aorrying about tail heavyness.
Yep all the hours are there but they are pencil scrachings on the wall, beside the clock.
I'll have to count them all up as I gave up grouping them in fives.
I gave it a run up today with all the gear in-situ & it certainly feels like it has sufficient thrust to take flight, I'd expect it to be almost scale like, maybe a touch over scale power.
The prop is an APC 7x4 slow flyer but it is a well sculptued prop & looks more like an E prop, just much lighter.
Off the tacho, the calc'd pitch speed is around 40mph (~10k rpm) so if she flies around 30 mph I'd consider it's doing very well.
The covering is very slick so I'd expect once trimmed out it would be very slippery in the air.
I can't wait to get it up there & wring it's neck....

Phil